balance....
Well, Sam Snead once said and I think even demonstrated that he stood on the block of ice, barefeet. and hit golf ball, full swing to show how important balance is in golf swing

Wider stance is not the way to go imo.

I like feet together drill. So feet together...you just swing your arms back and through and let the body react to that. Try and keep your arms straight and wide going back and on the follow through. The key is let the arms dictate what the body does. People fall off balance when they try and get their whole lower body involved in hitting the ball and overdo it.

A wider stance makes it harder to turn back properly or so my pro tells me.

Sounds like me. I've actually narrowed my stance with my main focus being getting to my left side. Hard to step out when my weight is on my left side.

Correct and it makes it easier to sway backwards and makes it harder to get to your left side. Tiger's driver stance is like shoulder width at best and he lashes at it and finishes in nice balance.

I noticed this today, looked like Tiger really goes after the ball with a narrow stance, yet compeletly balanced.

I have been told same thing and actually swing much better with a more narrow stance. My driver swing like this works the best, feet as wide as shoulder and I turn much better and get back to my left side in balance. Also drive it straighter that way and longer.

Tadashi pointed this out to me last year. Makes a big difference when you finish over your front foot.

Feet together drill is definitely a great one.

Feet together is a great drill for practicing balance. But, I still would argue that most amateur's have a stance that is not wide enough. For those that think they have issues with a wide stance, they should really have someone take a pic, like the belows, to see where their shoulders are in relation to their feet. And, if you stance is similar to TW's or Foley's, maybe you have a flexibility issue, or an overswinging issue. A shoulder width stance promotes stability. But, it is not the cure-all. Swaying, reverse weight shifts, overswinging, etc can all happen.

I downloaded the below and added the vertical lines for reference.

Tiger's stance is not as narrow you would think. But, you also have to consider that TW is not built like most people. He has pretty broad shoulders. I know are internet body is built like TW. But, is our real body like his....not likely.
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2009-06/tigerwoods_swingchange

In the below photo, the outside of his right shoulder is over his big toe. The outside of his left shoulder is over the inside part of his left arch.
June 2009

TigerDriverStance_zps041a3c3a.jpg
[/IMG]

Below from Jan 2012, Foley is in almost exactly the same setup, but with an iron.
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2012-01/sean-foley-solid-irons

TWFoleyStance_zpsaeb47e89.jpg
[/IMG]

The problem isn't core or balance issues...its due to improper sequencing. I'll explain below.

This drill, he's ONLY focusing on swinging the ball. When you swing the ball thus swinging your arms back and forth your weight will transfer automatically, the hips will turn back and through automatically and all is well in the universe. You have two major parts to your swing...arm swing and body rotation and they need to match. When they do you're balance will be better instantly.

I won't link it but there's a good article written by my coach "Get your arm swing and pivot in sync". Would be a good read for ya and has a drill to do in it.

100% agree on the get in sync. I forgot to mention that we had already been working on that. I had just developed a sway that was causing my hands/arms to get out of sync with the body.

I would love to read it if you can PM the link to me.

Day off tomorrow and plan to spend a bunch of time on the range before a round. Only going to climb into the 40's, so not expecting the ball to fly real well, but this is just a work in progress anyway. Wish I had that handy dandy little camera of P4B's to film the birthing stages of "Smooooth" for TheDue, haha

Duey, have you ever used an impact bag?

Duey, have you ever used an impact bag?

Negative. I've seen them on tv a time or two, but never tried one.

I like to feel connected to the ground during my swing so I am picky about what shoes I wear. I find my minimal trail running shoes (I wear new balance but there are many options) to be perfect for golf.

Trail running shoes have large lugs on the soles so slipping is not an issue. They are as close to playing barefoot and actually feeling what your feet are doing during the swing as you can get.

That's one that I use to show myself that I can swing with power/speed without making a big move. For whatever reason, it takes away that mental block that a golf ball creates.

I don't even use an impact bag. Just a soft sided medicine ball like this

pDSP1-7102654p275w.jpg

It's the first thing I turn to when I'm practicing and things aren't working. If I can get 5-10 solid swings into it I can go hit the hell out of the ball.

I like to feel connected to the ground during my swing so I am picky about what shoes I wear. I find my minimal trail running shoes (I wear new balance but there are many options) to be perfect for golf.

Trail running shoes have large lugs on the soles so slipping is not an issue. They are as close to playing barefoot and actually feeling what your feet are doing during the swing as you can get.

I might get away with running shoe's in time, but as Hawk can attest, my swing is so wild I'd screw myself in the ground without spikes, haha

That's one that I use to show myself that I can swing with power/speed without making a big move. For whatever reason, it takes away that mental block that a golf ball creates.

pDSP1-7102654p275w.jpg

It's the first thing I turn to when I'm practicing and things aren't working. If I can get 5-10 solid swings into it I can go hit the hell out of the ball.

Hmm, needing one anyway so I'll pick one up to try. I've always wondered what exactly the impact bags did for the swing. Thanks!

Here's the basic concept, though with the ball you aren't really hitting it shaft first. Mainly a way for me to get that feeling of not swaying, getting my hips moving, etc. It's very easy to take that feeling to the golf ball.

Hawk and you are saying you use that soft medicine ball instead of the impact bag? I bought one of those bags last year after seeing Haney using it with Sugar Ray Leonard but didn't end up using it much. Perhaps I will this spring.

Hawk and you are saying you use that soft medicine ball instead of the impact bag? I bought one of those bags last year after seeing Haney using it with Sugar Ray Leonard but didn't end up using it much. Perhaps I will this spring.

Yep. Cost $10 bucks I think. I did it at the suggestion of my instructor.

I like the idea behind this hawk, looks like it could be a big help. I put in a bunch of range time several years ago working on ball first, shallow divot, piercing trajectory and my iron game saw some solid results. When I switched to the SGI A12os irons my game continued well for some time, but eventually lagged off. I struggle to get that same sensation of ball first and can't take a divot at all with the Adams. I think range time will be key moving forward and the lessons, thanks for your help.

Yep. Cost $10 bucks I think. I did it at the suggestion of my instructor.
I love that price point for a training aid, I need to find one for sure!

pDSP1-7102654p275w.jpg

Interesting. I have the same med ball. How is holding up to striking it with a club?

A person I work with is a PGA teacher and talking about balance, this is one of his students!

A person I work with is a PGA teacher and talking about balance, this is one of his students!

I can assure you, I won't be trying that, lol

Interesting. I have the same med ball. How is holding up to striking it with a club?

Works just fine. Just make sure you have a soft sided ball. Some are filled with sand and very hard. That could be bad.

Duey, there was another one that I did tonight that I think might help you. I'll post it up in a bit. Have a couple things I need to do first.

I had to work on balance in the pool today. Just holding my hands high above my head and walking a straight line across the pool was quite a challenge. It was like walking on a balance beam.

Here you go Duey. I posted this in the range thread.

Duey's balance thread really made me think about my last round and I ended up being pretty disappointed in what I took to the course in that regard, so that's been my focus this week. Mostly in the sense that I am trying to keep from getting on the outside of my right foot on the backswing. Coincidentally, there was a Champions Tour show on TGC tonight and one of the guys (I can't remember who) showed a drill he does for this very thing.

He puts a golf ball under the outside of his right foot so he can get the feeling of turning and keeping his weight on the inside of his feet. I used a soft ball to do it, but the effect was the same. Worked extremely well and I may just do that with every swing I take in practice going forward. The results were really good for me. Solid contact and a lot of power. Good timing I guess.

Balance is usually a direct result of Swing Mechanics.

OTT is a major cause in throwing off balance. Coil your upper body against a braced lower body on the backswing and uncoil with your lower body leading your upper body on the through swing. Balance is a natural by-product of this sequence.

Good Book. "The Natural Golf Swing", by George Knudson.

I had to work on balance in the pool today. Just holding my hands high above my head and walking a straight line across the pool was quite a challenge. It was like walking on a balance beam.

Wish I had a pool and the weather to use one :angry: Lol

Here you go Duey. I posted this in the range thread.

More great info from Hawk, that's good stuff. I've actually done this one but forgot all about it. That will be in my practice later today, thanks.

Balance is usually a direct result of Swing Mechanics.

OTT is a major cause in throwing off balance. Coil your upper body against a braced lower body on the backswing and uncoil with your lower body leading your upper body on the through swing. Balance is a natural by-product of this sequence.

Good Book. "The Natural Golf Swing", by George Knudson.

I agree with your thoughts here, but getting to this coil is a work in progress. My coach will hopefully have some input here to ingrain the timing and get me turning around the body better. Thanks!

At the local golf show last weekend, there was a display set up with a balance training tool, something I hadn't seen before.
The inventor (whose name escapes me....was a Canadian Tour player and had a cup of coffee on the PGA, he said) uses a mat containing pressure transducers which is connected to a screen so you can visually see your weight distribution, capture it during the swing, play it back and so on. Looks like a heat map.

His thoughts were that he could teach a player to put their weight, say, forward for a chip...but this lets the student setup, and both see and get the feel for when the weight distribution is proper. Send the student off to hit a few on the range, bring them back to check again, and so on. I've checked the course website (Carman Creek in Fredericton NB), and I don't see anything about it there, but the guy was just getting started with it. An interesting idea, would certainly help avoid exaggerated weight shifts.

At the local golf show last weekend, there was a display set up with a balance training tool, something I hadn't seen before.
The inventor (whose name escapes me....was a Canadian Tour player and had a cup of coffee on the PGA, he said) uses a mat containing pressure transducers which is connected to a screen so you can visually see your weight distribution, capture it during the swing, play it back and so on. Looks like a heat map.

His thoughts were that he could teach a player to put their weight, say, forward for a chip...but this lets the student setup, and both see and get the feel for when the weight distribution is proper. Send the student off to hit a few on the range, bring them back to check again, and so on. I've checked the course website (Carman Creek in Fredericton NB), and I don't see anything about it there, but the guy was just getting started with it. An interesting idea, would certainly help avoid exaggerated weight shifts.

I believe there's a similar thing on the Wii Fit for anyone who has one lost away in the cupboard behind the xbox or PS4.

I can assure you, I won't be trying that, lol

Used those for my cruciate rehab and tried a couple of swings without a club - OMG the pressure that puts on your core is untrue - must get back into it because it really does help your balance!

Back