Swing Thoughts - What are they and how many?

Outlaw

Reaction score
Handicap
bad breath
I have put together some decent scores so far this year, but only hit the ball really well during one of my five rounds. Today at the range, I focused on swinging 75% and holding my finish. It was a great range session and I flushed 90-95% of the shots hit. What are your swing thoughts and do you try to limit it to a certain quantity of thoughts?

One piece takeaway. Get to the top. Hit the ball with my right shoulder. Balanced finish

Way too many...

Slow take away
Weight on inside of right foot
Shorter backswing
Tempo
Weight to left side

I usually just try to limit it to one or two, sometimes it works and others it doesn't. This early in the season the couple times I've been able to make it to the range I've felt like I was doing a full page checklist during my swing.

My goal is just to get it to one simple thought and never any more than that. That thought would either be a) rotational (i.e. open and close shoulders with the club always in front of my chest), or b) Swing left into and through the ball/follow through.

I have too many thoughts going through my head. To summarize my thoughts...

1) Slow backswing
2) Keep arms "connected" to body
3) Proper weight transfer
4) Release club

Pretty much, "Please don't let me whiff in front of all these people."

1. Keep my feet straight.
2. Don't put my weight on my heels.
3. Turn my body instead of swaying.

I can't remember a whole list of things so I only work on a few at a time.

Like InHartWeTrust, I try to limit it to just a couple. Any more and I can get mechanical and think to much, which is not good for me.

My main two on the backswing: turn til left shoulder under chin. Get upper left arm to cover chest logo on shirt (this takes care of swing plane for me, an Ernie Els swing thought).

Other than that the only thing I think of is making a solid weight shift.

I listed mine somewhere recently, the list is WAY too long

It changes based on what I'm working on/struggling with, usually no more than 2 things, most of the time just 1. Right now it is pretty much just making sure I finish the backswing.

Mine are pretty simple.

1) Don't crowd the ball
2) left shoulder under chin
3) Firm right wrist at top
4) Soft arms...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Driver: Swing then turn (something my coach used to say to stop me from throwing my shoulder around too soon)

Irons: Hit down (if I find myself trying to lift the ball up during the round)

Most of the other stuff are just thoughts I have before getting up to the ball.

Outside takeaway
Short backswing
Keep eye on ball
Is my alignment right?
Too late to change.
Pray.
Well that sucked.

I'm trying to just concentrate on two thoughts at this time:

Swing plane more vertical.
Right elbow tucked into my side on iron shots which is helping square the club face.

All of my swing thoughts except one are all pre-shot. I have a checklist if you will (I guess it's the pilot in me) for my pre-shot routine. Once I'm ready to pull the trigger I just try and relax and let all the practice I have done take over. I allow myself one thought and it has to pertain to my backswing. Once you start down there is no time to think. Just let it go!

Keep head still
Slow take away
Keep eye on ball
Tempo
Follow through
Advil

I think a lot during my set up, but I don't swing until I'm comfortable with everything and get down to 2 thoughts: light grip pressure and hold the finish.

My list is way long right now and at times killing my swing, but in the middle of a swing change and nothing is "natural".

Inside takeaway
Low and slow
Keep that head dead still
down and trough
Fire at first base
Flexed knees
Turn the upper body against a planted lower frame
Did I take the trash out
Damn rents due tomorrow
Gotta get someone hired for front line
Liz better not buy them shoes
Am I out of beer at home

You can only hold a couple thoughts in your conscious mind. Once you walk up to the ball, you've got to clear your mind of all the craziness and let your central nervous system take over.

You can only hold a couple thoughts in your conscious mind. Once you walk up to the ball, you've got to clear your mind of all the craziness and let your central nervous system take over.

Can I keep the beer in my thoughts?

honestly, the only thought I have is how hard do I need to swing the club for it to go where I want it. I usually just step up and hit the ball after taking a practice swing or 2 because when I start thinking too hard, I somehow manage to break my rhythm & mess up most of the time.

Back of the left hand through the ball! This is my number one swing thought on any given day.

I used to have a lot. Now I'm trying to just think to start everything with the belly

where is my target.

Do my socks match as I'm looking down

Hit down into the ball
Swing hard
Swing fast
Don't baby it
Don't be a p*#%y

I have gotten into the habit of swinging too easy and deliberately. I strike the ball better when I don't try to guide the club, and just hit the ball. Actually a lot like when Michael Phelps was doing in the beginning of The Haney Project.

Back