What separates a nice course from a goat track?

dynarider

insert witty saying here
Reaction score
Handicap
twits
Opposite of the other thread, what is it that puts a course in the category of "wow, I want to play it or I must play it again"? Is it course conditions, layout, pro-shop, upkeep, restaurant, toughness, the view, etc.

Can a great course also have a few goat track traits? If so what keeps it from being downgraded?

For me it is condition. It is always great to play a course that is in good condition.

Well from the beginning--when you pull in there is someone to greet you, take your clubs and make sure you know where you are going. Friendly staff in the golf shop. Nice range with quality range balls and great grass surface that will be similar to the course. Practice green that is maintained to on-course conditions. Short game area with pitching areas and bunkers with plenty of practice balls on hand. Level tees mowed to perfection. Tight, firm fairways. Rough is uniform regardless of height. Firmish, smooth greens with little grain hopefully double doubled that day and recently verticut bout 10.5 on the stimp. Bunkers with the tour quality white sand kept in firm condition. One bathroom on each side. Water every 3 holes. Nice locker room and mens grill. But Im a muni guy so I dont get to experience this alot. A few times a year. It spoils you though.

Good driving range.
Good practice green.
Nice tee boxes.
Well kept fairways with separate rough.
Larger, faster greens with nice grass surrounding it.
Well defined holes.
Friendly staff, but not to the point where they are suck ups.

You can keep the rest of the stuff. The fancy clubhouse, bag drops, the excellent service. I don't really care and it has no bearing on what I think of the course itself. You could have a 10 million dollar clubhouse and restaurant, if the course is crappy, I won't come back.

One of the best courses I play has a trailer for a clubhouse so that they can spend the money on the course. It is routinely in the Golf Digest top 100 public courses and has all of the things I mentioned above.

If I had fun playing a course - I'll play it again. I'm not that fussy, but I'd like it to be in good condition and I'd like a good pace of play.

Unlike baffler,I don't want anyone touching my clubs.I'll put it on the cart.

Great courses are maintained well above the norm and have a fablous layout.Tough but fair.

For me it is greens, and fairways that have healthy grasses, and are well manicured. Any golf course that has the staff, and the money to keep their product healthy, and looking good makes a great course. A good, well rounded practice area is a must. Next would be some nice views to take in between shots. A happy, go lucky, "flirt with me because I need the tips", cart girl with a nice smile is another good thing. Throw in a few "Blue Spruce" trees, and I'm good. :D

For me it is condition. It is always great to play a course that is in good condition.

My feelings as well. Some of the best courses I have played have had trailers for a clubhouse. Good looking cart girls are a plus also:D

I'm easy to please. If a course is well maintained, has a decent mixture of yardages on the par 4's, the greens roll true, and priced accordingly, I'll play it again.

Back