Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
You don't see catastrophic injury in golf like you do many other sports. But what you DO see in golf are a lot of smaller, nagging, persistent injuries. Right now I'm laying off the game for a few weeks because I spent too much time on the range trying to get a swing that I could depend on. In the process I've contracted 2 tennis elbows, a sore right wrist, and a sloppy left knee.

Do you have any nagging injuries caused by the "gentle" sport of golf?

I carry a knee brace, elbow brace, and ankle brace in my bag at all times. I twisted the knee years ago and aggravated it in the spring when I slipped on a railroad tie used as a walkway to a tee box. My elbow is much better now that I switched to graphite irons. The ankle is just shot from too many twists when I played soccer and can go at any moment.

I also have something going on with both rotator cuffs. There are times I cannot lift my hands over my head without pain. It doesn't bother my swing much, but when I carry, the weight hurts my shoulders. I think I have also developed some carpal tunnel syndrome.

I have a chronic problem with the connective tissue in my right chest wall. I ripped it loose about three years ago. It doesn't give me a problem as long as I play in warm weather. That turns out not to be a problem in Tucson.

Other than that, I am darn near perfect. No matter what, I keep playing. For some reason, refuse to allow my body to control what my mind wants to do. I just keep playing.

I've noticed that my right elbow is getting a little sore but aside from that I do enough stretching to mitigate most of these types of injuries

I've noticed that my right elbow is getting a little sore but aside from that I do enough stretching to mitigate most of these types of injuries

My wife's a registered nurse at the outpatient clinic of one of our local hospitals. She says that "tennis" elbow should actually be called "golf" elbow because most of the tennis elbow injuries were caused on the golf course!

Seems like my move has been nothing but injuries. Last year developed some shoulder impingment issue.When that was feeling 95%,I blew my right knee out.Now, that I'm healing from that my left hip is bothering me. It's either due to my move or just turning 40

Last edited:
I have had few injuries over the years that have prevented from playing golf for a period of time. The good thing is none of these injuries have actually been caused by my golf swing. No back, shoulder, arm, or hand issues at all. I have twisted an ankle a few times walking a golf course. I was rear ended sitting still in a golf cart, by another driver in his cart not paying attention. There was a snake bite while retrieving a ball in some brush. (actually two snake issues) That's about it as far as golf related injuries for me....that readily come to mind. Still thinking, and looking for wood to knock on.:clapp:

I have a couple of old injuries that bug me while im golfing. I had all of the cartilage removed from my left hand which makes it hard sometimes to grip a club, it can mess with my wrist hinge also sometimes. The only time it really sucks is in the cold weather.
I broke my collarbone in a funky spot so now it clicks during my back swing. It doesn't hurt that bad, its just more annoying then anything.
I did get shoulder tendinitis from golf but it seemed to of helped my game more then anything, I have shot some of my lowest scores the last few weeks. I have problems lifting my arms high enough to put on a shirt, but I wont let it stop my golf.

In May I was showing my son why he was chunking his iron into the ground and in the process I chunked my iron and hurt my wrist. :banghead: I wasn't even swinging hard! Anyway, it still bothers me, but only when I bend and stress it a certain way. Sometimes it'll get sore by the end of a round or session on the driving range. I keep thinking it will go away completely "any day now" but it hasn't happened yet. Hoping that the winter layoff coming up will let it heal. If not, I guess I'll need it looked at.

Last edited:
my tennis elbow has been bothering me for about a year. fortunately it is not unbearable.

Nope, not a single golf related ache or pain. After having open heart surgery back in march, there is nothing that bothers me.

Lower back issues. Since 1991. Fun stuff when it flares up.

You don't see catastrophic injury in golf like you do many other sports.

Do you have any nagging injuries caused by the "gentle" sport of golf?

Ain't necessarily so... I broke my wrist on a swing a few years ago, and it wasn't from hitting the ground. I did it at the same course where I'll be playing tomorrow, and this will be the first time I've been back there since the injury. I don't expect a similar result, but...:confused2:

Ain't necessarily so... I broke my wrist on a swing a few years ago, and it wasn't from hitting the ground. I did it at the same course where I'll be playing tomorrow, and this will be the first time I've been back there since the injury. I don't expect a similar result, but...:confused2:

Good luck. What did you take on the hole with the broken wrist?

Good luck. What did you take on the hole with the broken wrist?

Don't remember exactly what I got on that hole, but I broke it on the 4th hole and still finished the round... shot 84. Was playing with my wife and a business associate of hers from out of town... he still hasn't come to grips with losing to someone with a broken wrist.... :D

BTW, I didn't know it was broken until I saw the doctor the next day... just knew it hurt like Hades.

Don't remember exactly what I got on that hole, but I broke it on the 4th hole and still finished the round... shot 84. Was playing with my wife and a business associate of hers from out of town... he still hasn't come to grips with losing to someone with a broken wrist.... :D

BTW, I didn't know it was broken until I saw the doctor the next day... just knew it hurt like Hades.

At least you should have had a tee to bite on! Ouch!

Only time I broke my arm, I knew immediately. I was playing tackle football without pads and fell on it. I felt a snap, got up holding it to my body and told my buds, I gotta to, I just broke my arm.

I cannot imagine getting hurt playing golf unless I stepped in a hole on the course or got run over by the cart girl or something.

Back