Changing shafts on R11 irons

asca2

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello,

I would like to change the shafts on my R11 irons from the stock KBS 90s to True Temper Dynamic Gold shafts. The KBS shafts are just too light for me; however I am afraid that putting in the 120 gram true temper shafts may change the clubs' characteristics, especially since the R11 lofts are a little stronger than other irons and thus the individual shafts are little longer than other irons . Will I be facing any issues if I change the shafts/ should I watch out for anything?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I can't say what differences you'll experience but I have the R11's with the True Temper Dynamic Gold shafts and I'm very happy with them. They perform exactly as I expected them to and the "feel" is good. They are actually what was recommended for me when I was fitted.

You could stay in the KBS line and just go with the Tour model. Give you an easier transition going from 90's to the Tours. You'd get the desired weight addition and ball flight would come down some, with it being heavier shaft and a lower launching option.

Thank you both for the responses; I really appreciate it. Also, great suggestion about just switching to the tour model, I will definitely check them out.

I had my R11 shafts changed from the KBS stock 90S to Dynamic Gold X100 and I could not be happier with the difference. Since my shafts are an inch longer, the change gave me a heavier club with lower swing weight and the DG shafts are very stable, straighter, longer, more consistent for me.

I had my R11 shafts changed from the KBS stock 90S to Dynamic Gold X100 and I could not be happier with the difference. Since my shafts are an inch longer, the change gave me a heavier club with lower swing weight and the DG shafts are very stable, straighter, longer, more consistent for me.

Lower ball flight too?

Great info, Lefty. When you say your shafts are an inch longer, do you mean longer than the stock R11 shafts or did you just switch shafts to the same length that your R11s came with.

Great info, Lefty. When you say your shafts are an inch longer, do you mean longer than the stock R11 shafts or did you just switch shafts to the same length that your R11s came with.
asca, it's because Lefty is like 7 feet tall. :bulgy-eyes:

I had x100s put in to my RBladez which were bent 1* weak the perform similar to org shafts just lower launch and stouter feel

i changed mine to the KBS C Tapers.... i couldn't be happier since i switched... i did try to do it myself and wised up since i actually had the wrong splints to fit them properly so i ended up paying a fitter to do it. i had a much better ball flight and i actually do like the heavier shaft. mine are S+ 125 grams.

Sorry it took so long to get back here. Been busy, retired life can be a b i itch sometimes.

Lower ball flight too?

Yes, a bit lower, still a little too high in short irons. Long irons (3-5) maybe a bit lower than the KBS but still decent height. Stability is better in all irons.

The R11s were fitted and ordered an inch longer. When I ordered them the fitter gave me a choice of S or X flex then and I opted for the S. The X100s are the same lengths as the KBS shafts were (one inch longer than standard R11 shafts.)

I wasn't satisfied with the KBS but think a better grade of KBS would have been OK. I had the fitter put an X100 shaft in one of my previous irons, a TM Tour Burner 8 iron and was able to compare it with the R11 8 iron with the KBS shaft. The old 8 iron felt much better than the R11. It was tempting to reshaft the Tour Burners instead of the R11s. My scores immediately improved with the new shafts.

Have you thought about going with something between the KBS 90 and Dynamic Gold? I love the PXi and it is 112gm.

Back