The Top 100 Golf Courses - played by one very lucky and very determined individual

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't know if anyone else follows this blog, but the author just last month played the last round he needed (at Augusta National) to complete the entire list of Golf Digest's Top 100.

Playing the Top 100 Golf Courses

Personally, I don't put too much stock in the Golf Digest rankings, but even so, this is a tremendous task he has completed - he has taken his golf to an even greater level of obsession than us THP'ers! His course reviews of all the fabulous courses he has played are also very well written and entertaining. Really great site for info on top courses that most of us will never get to play.

No kidding. I love that guy's reviews so I'm excited for him to get them all

Poor guy, he must be exhausted. Lucky for me, I get to come to work every day!

What an incredible journey! Im rather jealous

Here is the corollary: how many of them has anyone here played?

Myself - 1, Bethpage Black

Physically, visually and mentally intimidating. I was a wasteland when I finished it.

How cool! I was happy enough playing just one course on the list (TPC Sawgrass), but all 100 courses? Wow!

Physically, visually and mentally intimidating. I was a wasteland when I finished it.

I haven't played a single one, sadly. But I'm looking to play Bandon and/or Pacific Dunes at some point once I move up to the PNW in a few months - if I can convince the lady that its worth the drive from northwest Washington! I'd also like to play some of the ones in England/Scotland/Ireland, since you can actually get on the clubs there.

I bet you were a wreck! Course looks like it would rip me apart.

That is pretty impressive. I envy him.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for the post SBG, though I will likely be up for awhile reading all of these reviews. I may not thank you for that in the morning! Haha

I've played 4 on the list: Congressional, Pinehurst 2, Prairie Dunes, and Bethpage. All outstanding.
Wish I had the $$ to try this guy's feat.

I'm a little jealous, by years end ill have one under my belt...harbortown

My list:

That will change throughout my lifetime.

THPing on Tapatalk

I've played 4 on the list: Congressional, Pinehurst 2, Prairie Dunes, and Bethpage. All outstanding.
Wish I had the $$ to try this guy's feat.

I'd honestly call the money the easy part (I know that sounds outlandish). The hard part would be getting on all of them. Most are super private invite only clubs.

THPing on Tapatalk

I've got 4 on the list. Honestly don't think I'll get many more. At most 2 or 3.

Bethpage Black
Sawgrass
Kiawah
East Lake.

Kiawah was incredibly hard. Bethpage Black wad just ever so slightly behind in difficulty. But not by much.

I had par on #1 at Bethpage and didn't sniff another one the rest of the day.

Cool conquest, probably costed a small fortune though.

I'm at 3. Sawgrass, Harbour Town, World Woods - Pine Barrens. If I can complete a third of his list by the time I'm too old and fragile to play, I'm going to be one happy happy man.

Pebble Beach is the only one of those on my list. But what a glorious day it was. Played 37 holes, were the first group on the course and the last off. Once in a lifetime experience.

Hopefully a couple more will be checked off the list soon.

Prairie Dunes is my only course knocked off the list. Glorious and humble.

Snap hooked from my Galaxy S3

I'm hoping to play Sawgrass in the next couple months. I have no excuses not too when I only live 20 minutes away. Would love to play a few on the west coast one day. Got a few on the bucket list.

Got on Prairie Dunes by having my brother's pro at his private course make a call for us. They would not accept $$ and simply billed it to my brother's account at his club.
I believe that a fair number of courses will extend this type of deal to other pro's members. I've not tried it since, however.

I've followed the blog for a few years and his reviews are great. Aside from Augusta, he was able to get into a lot of extremely exclusive courses. In fact, some of those courses are so unusual to what I've played that it got me interested in course architecture.

His final post is 5/1, which will be of his round at Augusta.

I have yet to play any in the top 100, but plan on getting to Bethpage and Harbour Towne this season. And Bandon in the immediate future.

I've followed the blog for a few years and his reviews are great. Aside from Augusta, he was able to get into a lot of extremely exclusive courses. In fact, some of those courses are so unusual to what I've played that it got me interested in course architecture.

His final post is 5/1, which will be of his round at Augusta.

Bolded part, how do you know that? I didn't see any update about it or even in the comments

Highland Links. Failing a lottery win, that's likely to be it for a while. He's absolutely right about it being a bear to walk, too. Couldn't do it today.

Played my round there with 2 older fellas who played pretty much every day. Wasn't a contour they didn't know. Had a great, great time, heard some stories, just one of the best days of golf I've had. Couldn't even tell you what I scored, now.

Back