Hope this Helps (warning Long)

scarhead

Reaction score
Handicap
Please share your thoughts and/or experiences with the same situation.

At the range today it took me a large, and I mean large, bucket to finally hit the balls correctly. I went through a number of different conditions during this time. Anger, embarrassment and confusion were at the top of the list.:confused2:

The worst part is that I couldn't figure out why I couldn't hit the ball :banghead:. That was until I started on the second bucket and the only thought I had going through my thick head was "Stop thinking and start swinging."

I didn't suffer any traumatic experience on the way to the course, nor did I have any distractions at the range which would have messed me up, so this is why I was so confused as to why I couldn't hit the ball. When I say that I couldn't hit the ball I am not exaggerating. To put a visual perspective on it I was hitting the ball like I was brand new to the game or each of my clubs was bent. I skulled them, sliced them and even whiffed a few. I normally play to a 12 handicap and rarely, if ever, shank a shot, so, again, I was thoroughly confused as to why this was happening.

Then, it dawned on me. Yesterday, I was looking at a web site with video lessons and today at the range thoughts of those lessons were creeping into my head and I was trying all of them at the same time. I backed off, took a stroll to re-wet my towel, cleared my head and returned to my spot on the range. This time, I thought of only one thing and that was to put my club into the back of the ball and send it to my target. About three or four balls later I was hitting them flush. Trust me, I was even thinking at one point before this that blades weren't for me. I've been playing the same clubs since the beginning of the year and have had zero problems.

What it comes down to is this: don't think more than you have to. It sounds so simple, but it's true.

Sorry about being so long, but I think this will help a lot of players in the same situation.

Been there, and done that. Only difference is when I get to the range, if I can't hit a decent ball, I just pack it in, and give my left over balls to some one else. Same as if I hit great shots right off the bat. You definitely stayed with your issues much longer than I would have.

I have two swing thoughts, and I only think about them when I am warming up for round of golf, or range work. I am a "just walk up, and hit the it" kind of guy with a pre-shot routine when actually playing.

That was my problem too while I was trying to recapture my swing from 20 years ago. My swing thoughts at one time were:

Low and slow
straight left arm
Don't move head
Don't shift laterally
Start slow from the top
Hit through the ball at a 45 degree angle to a line that would be formed by the ball and target
Swing THROUGH the ball toward the target

Now, my only swing thought is shorten your backswing a bit. That allowed me to stay connected and everything just "worked" from that point.
Too many swing thoughts and too much angst over lack of improvement.

I think we've all been there at some time or another. Sometimes I'll just have the worst range session ever and then towards the end of the bucket it will all click. The same thing happens during a bad round as well. At some point you subconsciously stop 'thinking' about your swing and just start swinging freely without thinking about the technique and then the great results start.

Don't worry about it.We all go through that.Not sure if it's the Golf God getting back at us or something else

LOL Provisional, I was ready to pack it up. In fact, I started to and even picked out a guy who was going to be the recipient of my balls (er, range balls that is). But I'm glad that I stuck with it yesterday 'cuz I found the error in my ways.

BTW, have any of you seen the video tip in which the pro recommends playing a round with only three or four clubs on your normal course? A long club, a middle iron, a wedge (i.e., driver, seven iron, 56 or 60 degree) and a putter. Of course, I can't find this particular clip otherwise I'd share it, but his theory is that by doing this it will help with your shot control. Curious as to what you think. When I find it I'll post it.

Back