Favorite Destination

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
OK, we've all traveled. Now whether it be here or abroad which location stands out in your mind as your favorite? It can be a golf destination or any destination for that matter.

Mine is Italy. Partly because of the beauty, but mostly the museums, the friendly people and the amazing food. I liked Florence, but Rome and Venice weren't too shabby.

What's your favorite place in the world? (Home is not an answer!:D)

Hawaii.

When I last went there, in 2003, I literally did not want to leave. It helps that my mom's side of the family lives there, as if you don't have family there, living surrounded by water might get old after a while. We found out from an aunt that when we were little kids in the '60s, our dad wanted to move the family back there and open an ice skating rink. Mom nixed the idea. She was born there, grew up there, and for whatever reason, didn't want to move back. She liked it in the states.

I have been to many wonderful places - some had great beaches, some had great food, some had great museums and others had great people. If I had to choose one - I'd have to pick Hong Kong. There was something magical about the energy in the city.

As far as scenic, historical American locations it has to be the areas around Four Corners, and/or the Grand Circle areas. I like to hike in the back country areas with my camera. Solo, 4-5 day, camping hikes are not uncommon for me. I am very aware of my limitations on those trips.

With the rest of the world, it is Australia, and New Zealand. I need to visit that part of the world again. Unbelievable natural beauty....and golf.

Golf Destinations are Torrey Pines, Pebble, and Bandon. I usually make the loop once every couple of years or so. Finding new courses between those locations is a plus. That trip usually last 3-4 weeks, and involves 15-20 rounds of golf.

Another vote for Hawaii. I lived on Oahu for many years, through intermediate high and high school and a couple of years at UH, so I have a few friends there. In addition, family members on my mom's side are still there, so there are cousins my age.

My wife loves it there too. We spent our honeymoon on Oahu (her first visit to Hawaii), and had a blast. I have many talented family members that have their own shows in hotels and clubs that we get in for free, as well as some that work in hospitality so we get deals there.

We've been to Oahu only three other times since our honeymoon, so we're due to go again soon.

Last edited:
I'm more of an activity based traveler, and not so much a sightseer.

For golf only there are so many places, but Scottsdale, Bandon and Scotland are tough to beat. I still need to get to other destinations such as Pinehurst and Whistling Straits.

For combination of beaches and golf, I love Hawaii (I'm partial to Lana'i). Living in CA, Hawaii is very easy to get to, and we go once every couple of years.

For skiing, my favorite place by far is Whistler.

And for diving, it's impossible to describe the beauty of the soft corals and sea life of Fiji. When you jump into the water, it feels like you're inside a kaleidoscope.

MAUI - anywhere on that island just about.

I second that. Play golf in the morning, snorkel all day and then just kick back at sunset with a drink and a stogie. I want to go back this winter but the woman is pushing for Australia.

I second that. Play golf in the morning, snorkel all day and then just kick back at sunset with a drink and a stogie. I want to go back this winter but the woman is pushing for Australia.

Gasman, if that is your idea of a great day (it is mine as well less the stogie), you really have to check out Lana'i. It doesn't get a lot of tourists, so it's basically empty. The Challenge at Manele (Jack Nicklaus course) is awesome. Incredible course with amazing views. The signature hole is a 200 yard par 3 over the ocean. You can get the first tee time at 7am, get around in about 2.5 hours as a twosome (they won't pair you up with anyone if you book a time for 2), go around again, be done by 12:30, have lunch and be on the beach by 2 or 2:30. One nice thing is the course charges you for the day, not one round, so the second round is free. The beach there has some of the best snorkeling in Hawaii. A bonus is there is a resident school of spinner dolphins that regularly come into the bay to swim, jump, and basically entertain the hotel guests. They are used to snorkelers and will swim right up to you (you can almost touch them). I've got some great pics which I will try to post later.

It is such a beautiful spot, that is where Bill Gates of Microsoft got married (right on one of the greens at the Challenge at Manele).

Gasman, if that is your idea of a great day (it is mine as well less the stogie), you really have to check out Lana'i. ).
I kept seeing commercials for it when I was there, it looked beautiful. Now, would you make a week out of it or just a couple of days once your in Maui? Im not really into island hopping but isnt it right there?

I kept seeing commercials for it when I was there, it looked beautiful. Now, would you make a week out of it or just a couple of days once your in Maui? Im not really into island hopping but isnt it right there?

It depends. I have no issues staying there a week. I'm not into island hopping much either. The main town is about a 30 minute shuttle bus ride away (you definitely will NOT need a car staying there). It's a great little town. It's what the rest of Hawaii used to be like decades ago before tourism took over. There is also a sister resort in town, The Lodge at Koele. It's designed like a hunting lodge. There is also another great course there, The Experience at Koele. But it gets more play and is slower than Manele, so you're probably only going to play one round there. It's also much cooler up there because it's up in the hills. (It's amazing the difference in climate between the two!)

If you like to settle in and really relax for a week, no issues. If you get antsy and need stimulation, like high-end restaurants, bars, night life, etc., a week will probably be too long for you. In that case, start on Lana'i, stay a few nights, play golf, snorkel, and go into town one day, then hop on the ferry that takes you to Maui. It's about a 45 minute ferry ride and it will drop you off at Lahaina, near Kaanapali. We did that for the first time the last time we were there and it worked out great.

When on Maui, we usually stay down south in Wailea, and not Kaanapali. We find Kaanapali to be a bit too crowded and busy for our tastes. If Kaanapali is more your speed, you might find Lanai to be too slow and quiet.

Would have to be Italy & I can't single out any 1 specific town or area, absolutely loved the Dolimites & the Alps, Venice was great too.

Cozumel ranks way up there too, extremely relaxing.

Ireland. Golfing, singing, drinking, seafood eating. Awesome.

I would love to go to Seattle/Vancouver/British Columbia for a long trip as I've never been. Golf and eat seafood.

Non-golf I like San Francisco and DC. I am not a beach person, and I don't care for hot weather destinations.

Kevin

I have not traveled abroad, and haven't traveled much around the US even, but I would say my favorite place is wherever I can see a live Michigan football game. Preferably at the Big House in Ann Arbor. Any other game site would do also.

Other than that, Summit County Colorado. Copper Mountain, Keystone, Breckenridge, Dillon, Silverthorn, Frisco, and Vail close by, you can't beat the scenery and the 'things to do' options.

I enjoyed Hawaii and the Bahamas, but I liked the Florida beaches in Destin/Fort Walton area. I have fond memories of nice long days baking in the sun, walking on the beach after dinner and special nights. Hard to beat for relaxation and I just like being in and near water.

I have lived in Germany, Japan and Australia and have been to several other countries. Of the three I lived in I liked Australia the best. I have visited Vancouver, Canada and loved it. Lots of things to do and see, great restaurants and friendly people.

My favorite place here in the states is Big Bend National Park and surrounding area. It's very scenic, serene and pretty much devoid of people. I like to go out there to get away from the congestion here in the DFW metromess.

My favorite place I've visited was Germany. The history and beauty of the area was great. For straight up relaxing and being lazy, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, was the best I've visited.

As far as scenic, historical American locations it has to be the areas around Four Corners, and/or the Grand Circle areas. I like to hike in the back country areas with my camera. Solo, 4-5 day, camping hikes are not uncommon for me. I am very aware of my limitations on those trips.

With the rest of the world, it is Australia, and New Zealand. I need to visit that part of the world again. Unbelievable natural beauty....and golf.

Golf Destinations are Torrey Pines, Pebble, and Bandon. I usually make the loop once every couple of years or so. Finding new courses between those locations is a plus. That trip usually last 3-4 weeks, and involves 15-20 rounds of golf.

I lived at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon for about 3 years right out of college, wasn't playing much golf then so the lack of a golf course for 100 miles in any direction didn't matter to me at that time. Part of my time there was spent at Desert View which is right at the east gate into the national park and within walking distance of the Navajo reservation. You could get up in the morning and just walk out your back door and hit one of the trails down into the canyon or head east toward Cedar Mountain or just go in any direction really and in just 30 minutes you are in total wilderness. I have to admit that is the best place I have ever lived but Hawaii would still be my favorite vacation spot.

You are right about "Big Bend NP being empty. We spent 4 days down there one time. 3 of the 4 days we never saw another person. Of course you do have to be careful, since any help if needed can be few, and far between. It is a very scenic area. "
I have lived in Germany, Japan and Australia and have been to several other countries. Of the three I lived in I liked Australia the best. I have visited Vancouver, Canada and loved it. Lots of things to do and see, great restaurants and friendly people.

My favorite place here in the states is Big Bend National Park and surrounding area. It's very scenic, serene and pretty much devoid of people. I like to go out there to get away from the congestion here in the DFW metromess.

Enjoy your visit. Just be sure to pay attention to your surroundings. Also, lose a lot of money to help keep our property taxes low.:clapp:QUOTE=BigBadBoneDaddy;142664]It is where I am leaving for on Sunday.....VEGAS!!!!!:banana::bananadance::banana::bananadance:[/QUOTE]

Golf Destination- Maui, Hawaii. It has everything from the most expensive tour course (Plantation Course) to the local, deal course (Elleair).

Vacation Destination- Southern California. Disneyland. Beaches. Hot women :D (my favorite thing). Golf. Surfing. Sports teams.

Place I want to go to for sure in the future- London, England and Madrid, Spain. Both places are in love with soccer like myself. Again women. Lots of sights to see. A lot to do there.

For straight up relaxing and being lazy, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, was the best I've visited.

That's the way Cozumel was for us. A solid week of doing nothing except swimming, eating, drinking, snorkeling, eating, drinking, scuba diving, eating, drinking, etc.

Have never been so relaxed anywhere else. Definitely need to go back.

Rome, Italy was one of my favorite trips.

The first time I travelled to Asia (Tokyo, Japan) was pretty cool.

I was in awe the first time I visited Manhattan.

.... I am making my first trip to the southern hemisphere next year: Sydney, Australia, during their winter.

Rome, Italy was one of my favorite trips.

The first time I travelled to Asia (Tokyo, Japan) was pretty cool.

I was in awe the first time I visited Manhattan.

.... I am making my first trip to the southern hemisphere next year: Sydney, Australia, during their winter.

Unfortunately we didn't make it to Rome but definitely will next time.

Have discussed Tokyo with a few gusy at work & they don't seem interested at all but I think it would be very cool to check out. The few folks I know who have been there all loved it.

Been to New York but never Manhatten, closest I came was about 35 miles.

Trying to talk my way into going with my company president to Australia next month when he goes to meet with Amcor, doubt it's going to happen though.

Back