Help with shaft selection for X HOT Pro 16 degree hybrid

tvandyke

Reaction score
Handicap
For the last 6 months, I've been using a set of RAZR XF Irons and Hybrids. I love them. The 3 Hybrid with regular graphite shaft might be my most reliable and accurate club in my bag. For some reason I'm more consistant with it than I am with the 5 hybrid which you 'd think would be even easier to be accurate with. Anyway, I hit the 3 Hybrid (21 degree) about 190- 200 yards. I've always had trouble with fairway woods and was looking for a hybrid similar to the RAZR XF but with a lower loft that would get me about 220. I tried the 18 degree XHot Pro and loved it. I looked on ebay and found that Callaway also made a 16 degree (didn't even realize it) and figured that would be a better choice since the 18 was only 3 degrees different than my 3HY. I found one for $139 (retail $179) brand new but it had a Project X 6.0 shaft. I figured I try it and reshaft it if necessary since the price was so good. I got it and hit it okay but found if I tried swinging smooth and easy everything went right. I figured I needed a regular flex and found a Fujikura Speeder 904HB for $39 brand new and from everything I read was supposed to be a great hybrid shaft. I got it installed and I definitely noticed the difference but it was much different from my other Hybrids. Much heavier and feels stiffer, just not as stiff as the Project X. I've played okay with it through 3 rounds. I've hit a half dozen shots with it down the middle between 220 - 230 but I've also found that it's not nearly as forgiving and have had some bad slices with it. It could be the head (lower loft, pro version), the shaft or a combination of both that makes it harder to hit. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if a shaft like the Blueboard S+ Hybrid or the Motore F3 or F1 would be a more forgiving shaft and closer to what my RAZR XF shafts feel like. It doesn't have to be high launching. In fact I'd prefer it was lower launching like the 904 HB since I really only plan to use it on long Par 5's and to tee off with it on tight fairways. It's also an inch longer than my 3 Hybrid and I've been choking up on it but wondered if even cutting it down would help with consistancy.

Is the same shaft that's in your RAZR XF still available? Cutting the current one would make it a tiny bit stiffer, from what I understand.

Is the same shaft that's in your RAZR XF still available? Cutting the current one would make it a tiny bit stiffer, from what I understand.

I have no idea. It's a Callaway shaft. I'm not sure who makes it for them. I just figured getting an aftermarket shaft would be easier and I'd end up with a better shaft anyway. I've always been told that stock shafts aren't nearly as good as aftermarket shafts. Having said that, I love the stock shafts in my irons and hybrids. Are stock shafts available directly from Callaway?

I have no idea. It's a Callaway shaft. I'm not sure who makes it for them. I just figured getting an aftermarket shaft would be easier and I'd end up with a better shaft anyway. I've always been told that stock shafts aren't nearly as good as aftermarket shafts. Having said that, I love the stock shafts in my irons and hybrids. Are stock shafts available directly from Callaway?

Hmm, I don't know. Seems like all of the hybrids and woods are coming with aftermarket shafts now, which makes it easy when you find one you really like. If they're a couple years old, you might be able to find someone selling a shaft or even the whole club on eBay pretty cheap. You could even swap the same shaft out of an older club into your new hybrid possibly. I'm no expert on club fitting and shaft replacement issues, so hopefully somebody with a little more knowledge about your specific club will give some info.

Back