TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
5.3 (WHS)
Hopefully there should be a picture attached below of three drivers I got to hit today

The top line is the Nike Covert, the middle is the TM Stage 2 and the bottom line is the Cobra Amp Cell - all were set at 10.5 and only the stock shaft in a regular flex

IMAG0052_zpse48ed8f0.jpg

Out of the three, which would people recommend based on the numbers alone. Alternatively do you think any of them could be tweaked with a change of shaft/loft etc to improve any of the numbers? Or is there anything I should be looking for with regards to the numbers?

Looking at the flights and numbers (which are all averages) I am leaning towards the Stage 2 but would be open to suggestions otherwise

Conditions were bright but into a headwind that was blowing slight left to right so I am not too concerned with the distance just now

I like the middle line.. As much carry as the top, but more roll out.

Not sure what half of those columns are since I can't read them. Ideally you want to be 3000 or less in backspin, depending on launch angle and angle of attack. Amp looks like it's generating far too much spin. You can adjust this and try it at 9.5* and see how much the numbers improve.

Not sure what half of those columns are since I can't read them. Ideally you want to be 3000 or less in backspin, depending on launch angle and angle of attack. Amp looks like it's generating far too much spin. You can adjust this and try it at 9.5* and see how much the numbers improve.

Am on my phone so wasn't sure how visible they would be

First number is club speed, then along 2 columns to ball speed, along another 2 columns to launch angle then spin followed by carry and total distance

My vote is to increase the loft on the Cover.

I'd go RBZ Stage 2 given the numbers.

From what I see I'd say go with the stage 2.

My vote is to increase the loft on the Cover.

So one vote to increase the loft on the Covert and another to lower it on the Cobra

I will bear those in mind when I next get a chance to go back and try them all again

my vote goes for stage 2 aswell

Hopefully there should be a picture attached below of three drivers I got to hit today

The top line is the Nike Covert, the middle is the TM Stage 2 and the bottom line is the Cobra Amp Cell - all were set at 10.5 and only the stock shaft in a regular flex

IMAG0052_zpse48ed8f0.jpg

Out of the three, which would people recommend based on the numbers alone. Alternatively do you think any of them could be tweaked with a change of shaft/loft etc to improve any of the numbers? Or is there anything I should be looking for with regards to the numbers?

Looking at the flights and numbers (which are all averages) I am leaning towards the Stage 2 but would be open to suggestions otherwise

Conditions were bright but into a headwind that was blowing slight left to right so I am not too concerned with the distance just now

Both 1 (red line) & 2 (purple line) need better launch and you'll be very happy. The Amp (1 - red line) looks to be the best numbers-wise but you need to try it in 11.5 or 12* setting. You want your launch to be between 13 & 15 and sub-3,000 spin, ideally. Re-test them with a bit higher loft setting and I think you'll find your answer...

So one vote to increase the loft on the Covert and another to lower it on the Cobra

I will bear those in mind when I next get a chance to go back and try them all again

The AMP is a higher launching higher spinning head. The Covert is typically a low launch and spin head. So it makes sense. I have my Covert set to 11.5* and sometimes tinker with it at 12.5*.

I would go with the stage 2 looks as though you have good numbers with it and it had the highest ball speed of the three
I am sure you could change shafts on all three and improve the numbers but sometimes it comes down to which one feels the best to you

113-114 club head speed? Definitely try them with a stiffer shaft.

Both 1 (red line) & 2 (purple line) need better launch and you'll be very happy. The Amp (1 - red line) looks to be the best numbers-wise but you need to try it in 11.5 or 12* setting. You want your launch to be between 13 & 15 and sub-3,000 spin, ideally. Re-test them with a bit higher loft setting and I think you'll find your answer...

Sorry, maybe I should have posted it different the AMP is the green line and the Covert is the red line - I was referring to the lines of data under the chart

I was drawn to the Stage 2 initially anyway due to hitting the original 3w and 5w well and it seemed to give me the best out of the box results, whereas the other 2 could possibly be tinkered with to get me the results but the stage 2 could be improved even further by tinkering if I wanted

113-114 club head speed? Definitely try them with a stiffer shaft.

We talked about this but because I have a smooth tempo he didn't think I would benefit from a stiffer shaft, but it is an option I can look at

We talked about this but because I have a smooth tempo he didn't think I would benefit from a stiffer shaft, but it is an option I can look at

If that's the case, I would still look into a stiffer flex.

They might be in Km... maybe?

So I am hitting 265yds with a swing speed of about 70mph if you convert them then...?

The speeds are in mph

So I am hitting 265yds with a swing speed of about 70mph if you convert them then...?

The speeds are in mph

I was trying to make sense of those numbers. I would be really surprised if you didn't see better numbers with a stiffer shaft.

Sorry, maybe I should have posted it different the AMP is the green line and the Covert is the red line - I was referring to the lines of data under the chart

I was drawn to the Stage 2 initially anyway due to hitting the original 3w and 5w well and it seemed to give me the best out of the box results, whereas the other 2 could possibly be tinkered with to get me the results but the stage 2 could be improved even further by tinkering if I wanted

Ok, I see now you were referring to the chart and not the actual lines on the graph.

Yeah, the Stage 2 looks to be promising but I'd still hit that club in a 11.5* head setting and see what numbers it gave me. They're good now but there's room for improvement as well...

No worries, I wasn't having a go, just a bit of sarcasm :D

Will definitely give the stiffer shaft a try the next time I manage to get over there

you can also give Cleveland Classic 10.5 a try. You might be surprized at the numbers it would give

I was trying to make sense of those numbers. I would be really surprised if you didn't see better numbers with a stiffer shaft.

Well he did say he was hitting into the wind? Could be why his distance is down.

Personally I think the Cobra looks pretty good. If you're able to get it the same distance as the others despite being a higher ball flight into the wind I think you'll really see it shine when the wind is down without losing much when the wind is up.

Just my opinion but it does have a better launch angle and the high spin could be impacted by the headwind.

Maybe try again when the wind is down and see if there are any changes?

Well based on your response and swing speed, I think your launch angle is pretty good. I have to question why the guy said use a R, regardless of swing tempo, based on your swing speed. I know the stock Cobra shaft is pretty loose and probably why you're launching higher.

Something doesn't seem right though. With those spin numbers, launch and ball speeds I would expect your carry more around 260 including the Covert. Is there a lot of side spin?

The speeds are in mph

Over 110mph swing speed? You should be getting better distances than those than. I know the monitor and balls can effect that a bit, but I think shaft could use some tinkering.

Back