Google Fiber: super high speed internet and TV service

Finally have a deadline to tell them what we want. June 20th for my neighborhood. So I am guessing we'll have service sometime in July.

They also announced they have agreed to service with HBO and Cinemax. We won't be getting any movie channels with our service though. The only extra channel we'll get is NFL RedZone.

They also announced they have agreed to service with HBO and Cinemax. We won't be getting any movie channels with our service though. The only extra channel we'll get is NFL RedZone.

Any pricing changes?

Any pricing changes?

$0 for the free internet (have to pay a $300 connection fee, payable over a year, then free for at least seven years;
$70 for the high speed, add $50 for the TV. $40/year for NFL RedZone.

The bolded is what we'll be doing. We pay $119.95 right now for Time Warner. It's a no-brainer. I think you pay $40 upfront for RedZone.

The full list of channels is here: http://fiber.google.com/plans/channels/

Additonal:

Premium - $40/month for all four movie channels
HBO ($20 alone)
Cinemax ($10 alone)
STARZ ($10 alone)
Showtime ($10 alone)

They also have:
Hispanic ($5)
ESPN 3D ($5)

Even cooler are what comes with the plan:

FIRST, they give you a Nexus 7. It's supposed to be the remote. Assuming they are giving us regular remotes too.
Second, the DVR can record eight shows at a time, in HD! Two terrabytes of storage on it.

They also have an app where you can turn a phone with Android 4.0 or higher into a remote. So I will be getting the Nexus 4 by then!

Published on Apr 9, 2013

Google Fiber is excited to announce that its next city is Austin, Texas. Leaders from around the city are excited about the possibilities and impact that 100 times faster Internet can have on the Austin community.

Google Fiber’s Next Stop: Austin, Texas

We know that your time is valuable and so we’ve always focused on speed — from search to Gmail, Chrome to Android. Two years ago, we announced that we’d be bringing Google Fiber to Kansas City to show what’s possible with super fast Internet access, and since November we’ve been connecting homes there to gigabit Internet that’s 100 times faster than today’s average broadband performance.

Today, we’re pleased to announce with Mayor Lee Leffingwell that Austin, Texas is becoming a Google Fiber city. It’s a mecca for creativity and entrepreneurialism, with thriving artistic and tech communities, as well as the University of Texas and its new medical research hospital. We’re sure these folks will do amazing things with gigabit access, and we feel very privileged to have been welcomed to their community.

Our goal is to start connecting homes in Austin by mid-2014. Customers there will have a similar choice of products as our customers in Kansas City: Gigabit Internet or Gigabit Internet plus our Google Fiber TV service with nearly 200 HD TV channels. We’re still working out pricing details, but we expect them to be roughly similar to Kansas City. Also, as in Kansas City, we’re going to offer customers a free Internet connection at 5 mbps for 7 years, provided they pay a one-time construction fee. We’re also planning to connect many public institutions as we build in Austin— schools, hospitals, community centers, etc. — at a gigabit for no charge. If you live in Austin and want to sign up for more information, please visit our website.

This is really cool as far as the television and pricing goes. Really cheap.

Chattanooga has had a 1Gig fiber network for a few years though. EPB supplies it. It used to be hella expensive but its a lot cheaper now.

Do we have any members in Provo, Utah?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Google Fiber—On the Silicon Prairie, the Silicon Hills, and now the Silicon Slopes

Today the Google Fiber team is in Provo, Utah, where Mayor John Curtis just announced that we intend to make Provo our third Google Fiber City.
Utah is already home to hundreds of tech companies and startups, and many of them are based in Provo. In fact, the Provo area ranks second in the nation in patent growth, and is consistently ranked as one of the top places to live and do business in the U.S. We believe the future of the Internet will be built on gigabit speeds, and we’re sure the businesses and residents of Provo already have some good ideas for what they’d build with a gig.

In order to bring Fiber to Provo, we’ve signed an agreement to purchase iProvo, an existing fiber-optic network owned by the city. As a part of the acquisition, we would commit to upgrade the network to gigabit technology and finish network construction so that every home along the existing iProvo network would have the opportunity to connect to Google Fiber. Our agreement with Provo isn’t approved yet—it’s pending a vote by the City Council scheduled for next Tuesday, April 23. We intend to begin the network upgrades as soon as the closing conditions are satisfied and the deal is closed.

Provo started building their own municipal network in 2004 because they decided that providing access to high speed connectivity was important to their community’s future. In 2011, they started looking for a partner that could acquire their network and deliver an affordable service for Provoans. We’re committed to keeping their vision alive, and, if the deal is approved and the acquisition closes, we’d offer our Free Internet service (5 Mbps speeds) to every home along the existing Provo network, for a $30 activation fee and no monthly charge for at least seven years. We would also offer Google Fiber Gigabit Internet—up to 100x faster Internet than today’s average broadband speeds—and the option for Google Fiber TV service with hundreds of your favorite channels. We’d also provide free Gigabit Internet service to 25 local public institutions like schools, hospitals and libraries.

Over the next few days, we’ll be in and around Provo with Mayor Curtis, attending community meetings and talking to residents about what widespread gigabit connectivity could mean for their community, and the ways in which we’d invest in their iProvo network. If you are a Provoan, we hope to see you there! In the meantime, you can sign up on our website to get updates and more information.

Posted by Kevin Lo, General Manager, Google Fiber

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/

I have to commit to what plan I want by June 20, 2013. I have already seen them running lines to the telephone poles out my back window. They will start attaching them from the poles to people's homes in July I would guess.

I am getting the internet and TV package.

That is so cool, I cant wait to hear about how you like it.

How is the TV package? I have FIOS now but I assume it will be similar.

I assume that the internet is going to be just silly fast.

Smalls, are you supposed to get this soon? If I remember correctly. I just saw this on Yahoo

http://news.yahoo.com/force-fiber-google-fiber-pressuring-rivals-game-144537517.html

“I see Time Warner Cable in and around Kansas City acting like a bulldog with a bone,” Crawford said. “They want to make sure they hang onto subscribers, not lose them.” Following Google Fiber’s launch in the region, Time Warner boosted its Turbo service by 33% to 20Mbps and its fastest available Internet service speeds doubled to 100Mbps.

They aren't doing much to save me. I asked them to give me the 50 mb service and they said they couldn't because they already have 2 retention things on me (they lowered my bill and gave me 30 mb turbo about 3 or 4 months ago).

That is so cool, I cant wait to hear about how you like it.

How is the TV package? I have FIOS now but I assume it will be similar.

I assume that the internet is going to be just silly fast.

It doesn't have as many channels as Time Warner right now. But they are adding more all the time. They have more than doubled what they had when they announced the TV side.

But they have everything we watch, so missing some channels isn't a big deal to me. The best part is that if we needed to, we can record 8 shows at once. We never have had the need, but there are times that a show is scheduled to end at 9:01 and we have two show starting at 9:00 so one of them won't record. No problem with this.

It doesn't have as many channels as Time Warner right now. But they are adding more all the time. They have more than doubled what they had when they announced the TV side.

But they have everything we watch, so missing some channels isn't a big deal to me. The best part is that if we needed to, we can record 8 shows at once. We never have had the need, but there are times that a show is scheduled to end at 9:01 and we have two show starting at 9:00 so one of them won't record. No problem with this.

That's awesome. I can only record 1 show, if I do 2 shows I have to be watching one it is kind of a pain but the On Demand service is pretty good and improving constantly.

Honestly it is refreshing to hear because the price I pay for cable and internet is getting a little out of hand, if Google can drive the "other" guys down a bit I will be happy. Then if they come to my area I will have a decision to make.

That's awesome. I can only record 1 show, if I do 2 shows I have to be watching one it is kind of a pain but the On Demand service is pretty good and improving constantly.

Honestly it is refreshing to hear because the price I pay for cable and internet is getting a little out of hand, if Google can drive the "other" guys down a bit I will be happy. Then if they come to my area I will have a decision to make.
Yep. But with my experiences with Time Warner, it wasn't a hard decision!

Haha I bet. We don't have Time Warner here but I have heard some less than stellar things about them. We have Comcast here which was terrible in every way.

I'll probably film them working when they get here to install. That should make them make sure they do it right! hahaha (or make them so nervous they mess it all up!)

I'll probably film them working when they get here to install. That should make them make sure they do it right! hahaha (or make them so nervous they mess it all up!)

Isn't that what you did to the UPS guy?

You got that right I can't wait to cut my cord with them!

Just read that some other company is building gigabit fiber into Lawrence, KS. Seems like the whole region is gonna be off the charts fast.

Just read that some other company is building gigabit fiber into Lawrence, KS. Seems like the whole region is gonna be off the charts fast.
Hopefully that will leak north a bit into Nebraska!!!

Got our reminder to sign up for service by June 20. Wonder how long after that date that they start installing.

Got our reminder to sign up for service by June 20. Wonder how long after that date that they start installing.

If its anything like what's going on here it will be awhile. Installation is majorly delayed it seems

If its anything like what's going on here it will be awhile. Installation is majorly delayed it seems
I hope not, but that could be a result of the winter that we had. There was a long time where they weren't able to work on installations.

Back