New Iron purchase - what factors to consider?

David81

Reaction score
After being a very occassional golfer for many years, I started playing golf somewhat
regularly 2 years ago and I'm about to purchase my 3rd set of new irons in that time
period. I got a basic general fitting done for the first set, I deviated slightly from
the fitter's recommendation and got a set of MX300s with the XP R300 shaft, whilst I hit
them beautifully, I got way too much backspin - so that was mistake #1. Next up were my
Callys, I got fitted for these too, but out on the course I think I'm a little more
aggressive than when I was fitted, plus the head/shaft weight combination isn't quite
right for me ... so I often have days where if I'm not careful I can hook them all day long
- which drives me nuts ... so mistake #2. I'm now looking at a set of X Hot Pro's with PXi 6.0,
the weight of this combo seems to be perfect for me, nice trajectory and they seem to be easy
enough to hit straight or put a little fade on and quite difficult to hook with the stiffer shaft.
One thing I can't test is turf interaction, my home course tends to be a little wet, so hopefully
the XHPs don't dig too much (the RXTs are fine on this front)? Are there any other factors
I should be thinking about before I pull the trigger?

Have you tried anything else other than the Cally X-Hot Pros? Dont limit yourself to one set of irons - try a selection and see what comes out the best for you.

I would also recommend trying different shafts in the irons as well. The difference between my RocketBladez with standard shafts and the KBS Tour 90 shafts I have is like night and day!

^^^This.... try as many diiferent iron heads with shaft combos that you like the looks of and see which best fits your game. Good Luck.

As above - try as many sets as possible THAT you can stand to look at. Some folks don't like super game improvement looking irons, others do. Find out what looks good to you and then test as many irons in that category as possible. I know you said you cannot test turf interaction but I would see if there is some type of demo program near you, even if it is not your home course. I found a place by me and they will allow you to take a single iron out for a day or so at a small fee. Well worth it in my opinion if you are hitting irons or wedges.

try out as many different iron sets as you can before you buy. get a full fitting also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like all can be solved by replacing shafts for the existing clubs you own. If you still own the MX300s, just refit them with the S300. Good chance it should give you a lower ball flight with lower spin numbers.

Turf Interaction I think is THE most overlooked facet of picking a club! There are soooooooo many different swing types and what works for you might not work for me. I HATE HATE HATE the "Whats the best driver/iron" threads.

How about someone post something like I am a 10hdcp, my ball flight is a slight draw, fairly consistent driver, I get a mid trajectory, my s/s is 105mph avg, I play courses that are typically soft so roll is an issue. Who else has a game like mine and what has worked for you that you might recommend I try?"

I would make sure you check ALL of these criterias before you make your decision.
1. Turf Interaction
2. Bounce Angle
3. leading edge design
4. Flight bias
5. COG placement (If you are a low hitter, a low hitting/strong lofted iron could work against you)
6. Ability to hit the 5&6 iron as consistent as the 8&9.

That is MY check list for when I am looking at irons. Create your own list and only buy what passes all of your tests!

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the replies, another factor I forgot to consider was price ... just got a great deal on the X Hot Pros with PXi :beauty:

Yes, try different shafts as well, I've seen it make a 20+ yard difference in the XHP's for some people's game. I have hit these and the turf interaction is good. It's not sliding or bouncing off the turf, but it doesn't dig either. I think that the turf interaction is great.

Back