Mallet or Blade putter?

I like my mid-mallet rossie. I like having a bit more mass behind the ball than a blade allows and I think the true mallets get a bit clunky for my taste.

I seem to strongly prefer blade putters, and I don't even know why...

I am not consciously closed-minded about it , but even when I am just at the golf-store, trying the new putters on the little practice green, I won't even pick up a mallet putter. :confused2:

I'm the same way...I just can't control distance at all with them and find it difficult to make the little adjustments that I like to do over a short putt...long putts I seem to scuff the trailing edge as well; I just can't use mallets...

I recently pulled my Bobby Grace prototype out of the bag for a Never Compromise Exchange #7 mid mallet. I am still trying to find my ideal weight but this putts very true for me.

I have 4 other putters all mallets collecting dust.

I have a question and you guys know I know nothing about golf equipment. Has the technology in a blade putter changed much over the years. I know designs have changed a bit, but would a putter from the 70s be similar to a putter of today? I guess what I'm asking is if a blade putter would be the club that has changed least over the years.

Blades all the way for me.

I have a question and you guys know I know nothing about golf equipment. Has the technology in a blade putter changed much over the years. I know designs have changed a bit, but would a putter from the 70s be similar to a putter of today? I guess what I'm asking is if a blade putter would be the club that has changed least over the years.

it really depends Diane. In some ways it has changed a lot and in other ways it has not changed at all. Inserts, weighting, and hosel tech has all changed for the better, but many of the shapes are identical to those of years ago and people love them still. The biggest change we have seen is with the weighting. So much more has been done on different weighting. And while that has not changed a ton in certain putters, the amount of putters available with different characteristics has increased so much that there can be a putter for every single person out there.

I know some folks who have one of each. They switch back and forth saying when one quits working for them, the other starts working better for them.........:confused2:

I know some folks who have one of each. They switch back and forth saying when one quits working for them, the other starts working better for them.........:confused2:

If mine starts to give me fits...I find it ain't the putter...:D Practice! Don't need an athletic young body to do it. Anyone can can putt. Just need to practice...and I mean a lot! I can putt better than some guys that drive the ball 300 yards! They just get up on the dance floor quicker.:D

I am a blade putter all the way. I tried a Bettinardi (The Hawk from Ben Hogan) and it worked for a while but I could bever get used to the setup.

I love the look of a blade but just don't seem to putt well with them. I'm thinking of trying a blade with more toe/heel weighting to see if it keeps me from twisting the head.

I used a mallet style when I first started playing, now I use a blade style. I also prefer that the shaft attachs to the clubhead and not in a hosel.

Played 18 today on a crowded course. Shot 87 but was just really out of rhythm because everybody was just so d@m* slow!!!

Stupid tapatalk

Mallet. Even weight distribution and good for a bad putter like myself.

Was a blade purist but I putt better with mallets so I switched

Tapatalkin it in on my iPhone 4S

I use a blade with a center shaft. I had a couple of mallets and a two ball but never really putted good with them. I tried a friends of mine center shafted ping and liked it very much, he wasnt a big fan of it and wanted something new, it has been in my bag for about 5 years now. Would not even think about changing. Thats just me though. Try them all and see what you are the most comfortable with.

I haven't used a blade in years. Mallets always seem to feel better and are way more forgiving for me.
I definately putt better with a mallet style.

i use mallet type.(odyssey white hot pro #7) . it give me more confident than blade type.

Either one is fine for me. I had a Ping Craz-e and now a SeeMore si2 couldn't be further away from each other in design except for the fact they are both centre shafted.

Used to play with a blade, but then changed to a mallet and fell much more comfortable/confident with it - rolled a few different putters over the weekend and tried a couple of blades again but did not like them so definitely a mallet for me

I am currently gaming a blade, why cause its a putter I was given and the only one I have owned since.

Will be switching it up here in a week or so and will game a mallet for awhile.

I am rocking a Ping Anser 5 from the late 80's. Like most of my gear it was a hand me down from my dad but this is all that's left.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Blade for me for the last nineteen years--though I flirted with a couple of mallets in the beginning. I've played Anser or Anser-style blades for as long as I can remember. It's just what a putter should look like to me.

Just switched from a blade to a mallet i like it so far but time will tell

My last 3 putters have been small mallets. Before that, I tried a couple Anser style putters and even went the complete opposite way and had a Spider and a Rife 2 Bar. I find that a center shafted mid-mallet works the best for me.

I did a fitting some years ago and left with a 2 ball type. After some lead tape I was rolling it great and have been using it ever since. I'm thinking of doing that tungsten powder or whatever at some point to make the weight change permanent.

Back