Knee scope to clean out loose cartlilage etc.

Since I only have one to three at the most PT sessions left, I went out and bought me a stationary bike today. My surgeon who also had knee surgery highly recommends the stationary bike! It is an excellant recovery tool plus he still uses his five days a week to keep the knees healthy. I have had so much to deal with I figured what the heck, all the money spent on new golf clubs and now I owe myself something for better health. I am so happy I bought it and it will NOT be a dust catcher.

good to hear ya doing better ol' gray!

I think I am having the same problem as Gray. Everytime I swing I feel a pain in my leg, not a unbearable pain, but definitely enough to alter my golf swing. I think its loose cartelige also because every once in a while I will feel a pop and it will swell up then goes away within a week.

I am wondering how long was your recovery time after your scope until you played golf, and until it was fully healed?

I've had two menisectomies from sports related injuries, and sadly I think I just tore the same meniscus again. This one is not so bad though. Each case is different. My first arthroscopy did not go well as I had post op pain for one year. The second was a more uneventful post op recovery. Your doc should be able to give you a more realistic time frame.

I think I am having the same problem as Gray. Everytime I swing I feel a pain in my leg, not a unbearable pain, but definitely enough to alter my golf swing. I think its loose cartelige also because every once in a while I will feel a pop and it will swell up then goes away within a week.

I am wondering how long was your recovery time after your scope until you played golf, and until it was fully healed?

I think it was between 4 - 6 weeks. I had some cartilage, scar tissue from prior surgery, and the torn meniscus repaired. Your healing time will depend on how well you do in physical therephy and each person responds different during post surgery. Do what the PT tells you even though it will be sometimes painful. You got to work the stiffness and try to keep excessive scar tissue out.

I've had two menisectomies from sports related injuries, and sadly I think I just tore the same meniscus again. This one is not so bad though. Each case is different. My first arthroscopy did not go well as I had post op pain for one year. The second was a more uneventful post op recovery. Your doc should be able to give you a more realistic time frame.

I'll bet the farm I currently have another torn meniscus as the pain is constant. I know what it feels like and my knee is always swolling. With that said, I'm due for a total knee replacement. The partial I had a few years back (age 55), has affected the right side of my knee. I put too much pressure & extra load on that side of my knee and now it's worn out. I'm hoping to make it until I'm 65 so medicare can help pay for the knee. It depends on if I can stand the pain that long. I'm a pretty tough old coot but sometimes I can't sleep at night due to annoying pain.

Prubey -- Good luck with your knee buddy. I feel ya pain and I always try to schedule my knee surgeries during January. It's cold and a good time to stay inside and behave yourself. If your pain is too intense go ahead and get it done. You may be doing further damage waiting. My doc said my knee looked terrible inside while doing my last scope.

Last edited:
The pain isn't terrible so I am going to keep practicing, maybe try to get it a little stronger by riding my bike more. I guess if it doesn't get any worse I will wait until Winter to get it checked out and probably operated on.

I had a scope and realignment surgery on my other knee so I feel this one was cause by overworking it while babying my operated knee.

I had a meniscus trimmed a few years back. There was fraying along the edges that would occasionally get trapped in the joint causing pain and little by little, more fraying.

The surgery was simple. I never had more than a general soreness. Was walking short distances with a crutch the next day and without the day after that. By day three I was feeling fine and anxious to get the wrappings off. One week later I was normal.

So, depends on what you need. Could be very simple and a quick, easy fix. No way to know for certain until you get to a doc and an MRI.

Good luck.

I was walking the same day and pain free 5 weeks later but I was not back in golf shape for 4 months.

I remember the round and I was on the 8th green eyeing a putt. I crouched down with no pain and was driving through the ball very well.

The pain isn't terrible so I am going to keep practicing, maybe try to get it a little stronger by riding my bike more. I guess if it doesn't get any worse I will wait until Winter to get it checked out and probably operated on.

I had a scope and realignment surgery on my other knee so I feel this one was cause by overworking it while babying my operated knee.

You might want to consider wearing a knee brace. I keep one in my golf bag and when I feel extra sore I strap that sucker on and it helps stable the knee a bit.

I have contacted my Orthopedic surgeon to discuss knee surgery on my right knee. His nurse called me back and said the scope which would not affect any ligaments or crucial parts of the knee structure and should heal in two weeks. No promises though. So,,, has anyone on here had just a scope, to clean out the loose cartilage etc. If so, how long was your recovery time? Would you recommend having it done now or after the outing in September? The pain I am suffering is not severe, however it does hurt and swelling occurs after overuse. I am not going to do surgery, if there is any chance at all ,that it will screw up my trip to West Palm Beach.

Yes, walked out of recovery and was playing in a week.

Yes, walked out of recovery and was playing in a week.

You're a tough old rascal :bananadance::D:thumb:. Right off the table and onto the course :blob:

I do remember my doc telling me to ride a stationary bike during post recovery, so I went and bought one. He said it helps to pump the fluid off the knee. When I go to the gym these days, the only leg exercise I do is on the elliptical machine or stationary bike. Low impact for us with gimpy knees :beat-up:.

You're a tough old rascal :bananadance::D:thumb:. Right off the table and onto the course :blob:

I do remember my doc telling me to ride a stationary bike during post recovery, so I went and bought one. He said it helps to pump the fluid off the knee. When I go to the gym these days, the only leg exercise I do is on the elliptical machine or stationary bike. Low impact for us with gimpy knees :beat-up:.

I ride a bike. I have been riding for years for the same reason. Just because the cartilage surgery went well, doesn't mean I won't have a knee replacement in the next couple of years. :beat-up:

I found a knee brace that works out pretty well. After playing a few rounds it seems like it has strengthened up a bit. The only time I really notice it is when hitting full shots out of bunkers.

In preparation for knee surgery, there are two things that you can do to prepare. First, lose weight, every pound of body weight is 3-4 pounds on the knees. It's amazing what a difference just 10 pounds makes.

Second, strengthen the quads. There are a number of exercises that can be done without putting any weight on your knees (not stuff like squats.) I didn't learn this until rehab after surgery. Google "quad exercises rehab" or something like that to get plenty of stuff you can do. The quads stabilize the knee and help reduce pain from osteoarthritis.

In preparation for knee surgery, there are two things that you can do to prepare. First, lose weight, every pound of body weight is 3-4 pounds on the knees. It's amazing what a difference just 10 pounds makes.
Second, strengthen the quads. There are a number of exercises that can be done without putting any weight on your knees (not stuff like squats.) I didn't learn this until rehab after surgery. Google "quad exercises rehab" or something like that to get plenty of stuff you can do. The quads stabilize the knee and help reduce pain from osteoarthritis.

Exactly right on losing weight and strengthening the quads. I would also recommend a stationary bike at least 30 minutes a day before surgery.

I had a meniscus scope on my left knee 18 months ago and a full ACL replacement on my right knee 13 months ago. Scope on right knee was just a month or so recovery - was able to snow ski 10 days after surgery without issues. If you rehab correctly(I started riding my bike 3 days after ACL repalcement) you can fully recover in about 12-15 months from even a major knee surgery. I have no pain or swelling and am doing my second 100 mile bike ride in the last 3 weeks on Saturday. Follow the recommendations of your physical therapist and start riding a bike asap after surgery!

Back