The "Getting to know you" thread

I'll play.

I'm Jeff (I hope you figured that out already) from The Show Me State or The Meth Capital of the World (If you like to party). I'm 31 years old. Practically married, or defined by law, I am. Kelly and I've been together for 12+ years and providing she still likes me a little bit, I plan on marrying this girl in Vegas later this year (she doesn't know that though). We have no kids, other than our floppy eared Boston Terrier named C.J. and our first adopted, a cat named Lurch (or Lunch as I call him). I sell things for a blood sucking corporate super power. I like to be different and go against the grain. The black sheep if you will. I am a huge New England Patriots, St. Louis Cardinals, St. Louis Blues, and Florida Gators (football) fan. Adam Scott is my favorite golfer and he has helped me win fantasticly fun things. I refuse to dance. Even just a little bit.

Other points to know.

- In 2010, I ran for Congress as a write in candidate in Missouri's 9th District. Somehow, I got 742 other deranged people to vote for me. I will go down as the last Democratic candidate to run in Missouri's 9th Congressional District. I lost the election, by the way.

- I once got arrested in my underwear and a trucker cap. Long before Ashton Kuchar made trucker hats cool again. Which is embarrassing.

- I sent a New York Times bestselling author flowers once for talking trash on me. He confirmed via Twitter two years later, he enjoyed the arrangement and the mug.

- I randomly dosey doed with a Chinese guy in the streets of St. Louis one time.

- My nickname is Fish. My business cards at my former employer actually said Fish on them.

- I was a pretty decent basketball player in my youth. I could dunk and had a hell of a jumper. Now I'm just old and hate basketball.

- Never once have I purposely farted in front of Kelly. True story.

- I Tweet from the account of @JeffReedMO. Tweets are my own. You either enjoy them, or you don't. I don't get all sad if you don't.

Photographic evidence.

Us in San Diego, for the 2008 U.S. Open.

4467_86563563215_2037534_n.jpg

Go Cards!

319395_10151056384263216_2085761869_n.jpg

Our Children.

547405_10150947140048216_435508209_n.jpg

Swinging The Lumba in Texas for the Invitational.

164486_10151517378983216_691056345_n.jpg

- I randomly dosey doed with a Chinese guy in the streets of St. Louis one time.
That was ME! Hahaha kidding!
CJ is a good looking dog!

I can't believe I am 7 pages late to this thread of excellence!!!

It is me, Canadan (or Canadian if you're not paying attention). I grew up in Southern Ontario (Canada) and now reside somewhere slightly south of that. I belong to an Arnold Palmer course and spend every reasonable evening and weekend day there playing golf. I have been married for nearly 5 years, and have been together with my lady for over 9 years. She is far cooler and more attractive, and I dig that about her.

In TyNo-esque excellence, I'm taking the rest to bullet points.

- I am a diehard Columbus Blue Jackets fan
- I have two twitters, one for hockey (@Canadan82) and one for golf (@CanadanGolf)
- That last bullet is a favour to my followers who don't care about one or the other
- I spell it favourite, favour, flavour, centre, and colour
- Some people cannot get over that fact
- They also can't get over the fact that I often prefer vanilla ice cream without anything on top -- Weird, I know
- I drive a VW GLI and I absolutely love it
- Me and the wife have one dog, a 15 pound ding dong named Zeke who is full of awesome
- I am only slightly obsessed with Tim Hortons, Poutine, and Chipotle
- On course, I'll wear pants every day that I can, as they are way more awesome than shorts
- I have outdriven JRod. LIKE A CHAMPION!
- I am the inaugural winner of the Team Canadan/Team Dean challenge... and we won BIG!

I'm running out of things. Here are some photos.

The Pup:
Spoiler
20130125_105710.jpg

In my defense, I did not support the clothing of this dog... I simply allow it. I bet my casualness towards this allots me at least an additional 20 rounds of golf a year!

The Wife and Me:
Spoiler
20121223_205916-1.jpg

Annnnnd me swinging a golf club last weekend at the Invitational:
Spoiler

So how did you become a Jackets fan? I would've guessed the Leafs, Wings or the Sabres. Well... the Jackets will be scary for years to come. Bob is looking pretty good for Vezina!

Remind me to post in here when im awake and not full of codine

Last edited:
Glad to know you Chris. Can't wait to tee it up again.

So how did you become a Jackets fan? I would've guessed the Leafs, Wings or the Sabres. Well... the Jackets will be scary for years to come. Bob is looking pretty good for Vezina!

Hah, long story short, I moved to Ohio and accepted my fate haha!

This has been fun wading through, thanks everyone for sharing.

My name is Chris, 41 year old male of average height, build, looks, talents and intelligence. I was born and raised in Fort Worth, TX and have lived in and around DFW for about 38 of my 41 years (I spent 2 years down in College Station attending Texas A&M). I currently reside in Granbury, TX, a small city a bit SW of Ft Worth. I spend my free time these days playing as much golf as I can and pay my bills by troubleshooting and maintaining the backbone networking devices for AT&T's U-Verse product. I spent some time as a police officer before jumping on to the IT bandwagon at the height of the dotcom bubble. I'm in the final days of a 6+2 commitment to the Texas Army National Guard. I did my time with B Co 2/142 INF, a year of which was in the Al Anbar province of Iraq in 2008/09. I've been married for 15 years and have a 5 year old daughter. I'm a big time headbanger since way back when and play a little guitar when I can. I like war movies, Mexican food, college football and good dark ales.

From my Army trip overseas:
2688_66350121533_4889612_n.jpg

The wife and kiddo:
12089_10151128023001534_771986782_n.jpg

Believe it or not Ive been to Grandbury Texas, helped open up the Lowes store there back in the day when I worked for GE

My name is Jackson, I am 17 years old as of two weeks ago, blonde-turned-brown, blue-eyed, 6'3", 168lbs on my fat days, have almost zero muscle, but can smash the hell out of a golf ball. This is me next to Ed, a great family friend (my middle name is after him), at my great-grandmother's funeral service.
I live in Beaverton, OR, with my dad, and have since I was 4. Prior to that, I lived with my dad, my mom (here's a link to a thread where I ranted about her: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...hest-thanks-for-being-having-a-place-to-do-it), and my half-sister (who is 21 next month). I also have a down-syndromatic half-brother, who is 9. I havn't seen my brother since the last time I saw my mom, and I rarely see my sister. My closest family is my grandma, who is basically my mother-figure, and has been since I was about 5 (I would go to her house at least once a week, and stayed at her house for a night almost every weekend). I am currently a junior, and I do my best to maintain a 3.3 GPA (or better).

I have been playing golf seriously for a couple years now, but have been holding/swinging a club since I could stand. This is me when I was around 2 yrs old, swinging the stick (in my awesome cowboy boots).
As of lately, on my good days I can card as low as a 37 or 38 in nine holes (80 is my all-time low for 18). When I'm feelin' good, and take a hard whack at the ball, I can pound drives as far as 350 if I want to. I've hit a couple 335 uphill, back-to-back. I usually have around, or less than 30 putts in a round, and I still think I'm a horrible putter. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to golf. If it doesn't go straight, or within 10 feet of my target, I'm happy, but wondering what I did wrong. I admit, I have a short temper when it comes to golf. If I'm playing with somebody who won't stop talking, is cheating, is extremely slow, etc, I am not going to be happy. People tell me that I have a nice bag of clubs, well, yeah, I guess I do. But, when it comes down to it, golf is all I have, and I save up for the stuff I want, and when I get enough for it, I'm buying it.

I love me some video games, even though I only have a Wii (which I never play anymore because of stupid hackers who make games worthless to play), a PS2, which I love, and an N64, which I don't play too much because the graphics absolutely suck, and I don't have very good games for it.

You can say what you want about my '92 Subaru Legacy, but it is one BAMF of a car, especially for a first car. My dad has a midnight blue 1970 Plymouth Barracuda 383 (in the Muscle Car thread), it's a beast.

I've always lived by treat others how you want to be treated. of course, I joke around all call my friends douchebags or whatever once in a while, but typically I'm just joking around. If you aren't a jerk to me, I'm not a jerk to you.

I'm scared of one thing and one thing only- the dark. I've stood on the edge of a 1000-foot cliff, almost fell over the edge, but walked away laughing. I'm a good swimmer, so I'm not afraid of drowning.

that's just about all I can think of right now..

Last edited:
Easy8, johnnymojo, and CplJohnSt, thanks for your service.

JeffReedMO, I thought you said you don't dance?

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

New here!! Picked up golf about 8 months ago and absolutely love it. and glad to have found a place to talk golf with other golf fanatics.

I am 22 years old and just got married last September. I am a store manager and a Little Caesars in a small town called Havelock in North Carolina. Love all sports and am a HUGE Titans, Duke, Lakers and Cubs fan. I have two dogs, a black lab and a yellow lab and a cat.

I am obsessed with golf and if I am not at work I will more than likely be found with a golf club in hand. I finally broke 100 about a month ago and my best score to date is a 94. Cant wait to take golf with everyone here

Easy8, johnnymojo, and CplJohnSt, thanks for your service.

JeffReedMO, I thought you said you don't dance?

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

The dosey doe isn't considered dance. Especially when you do it spontaneously with a unsuspecting Chinese guy.

New here!! Picked up golf about 8 months ago and absolutely love it. and glad to have found a place to talk golf with other golf fanatics.

I am 22 years old and just got married last September. I am a store manager and a Little Caesars in a small town called Havelock in North Carolina. Love all sports and am a HUGE Titans, Duke, Lakers and Cubs fan. I have two dogs, a black lab and a yellow lab and a cat.

I am obsessed with golf and if I am not at work I will more than likely be found with a golf club in hand. I finally broke 100 about a month ago and my best score to date is a 94. Cant wait to take golf with everyone here

Welcome to a fellow North Carolinian. If you haven't already, head over and check-in at the check-in desk.

Welcome to a fellow North Carolinian. If you haven't already, head over and check-in at the check-in desk.

Probably a dumb question but what do you mean check in? pardon my ignorance

Love this thread, it is great to learn about fellow THP'ers. My turn:

Name is Carl Bonner. I am 48 and scaring the heck out of 49. Born and spent most of my life in Albuquerque, NM. Great place to live! Spent about 15 years living in Wyoming, Laramie and Sheridan, which explains my visceral hatred of all things winter.

I currently live just north of El Paso, TX, between there and Las Cruces, NM. I am part owner and sales force for a company that manufactures wood moulding (ie house trim).

Have been a Dallas cowboys fan all my life, but Jerry has almost managed to run me off. Currently in the market for a new team.

Single, never married, and no kids.

Used to fly RC helicopters, but the reflexes and eyesight aren't what they used to be, so not doing that so much. Been playing golf for about 3 years now, the last year or so trying to improve and taking lessons. Still not very good, but I finally see signs that I might not be completely hopeless!

Very excited to attend my first THP function at the outing in...wait for it... 2weeks!

Probably a dumb question but what do you mean check in? pardon my ignorance

Haha, actually I'm the one acting dumb here. Never realized this thread was in the "check-in desk" forum. Stupid phone viewing.

Haha, actually I'm the one acting dumb here. Never realized this thread was in the "check-in desk" forum. Stupid phone viewing.

oh ok haha. got a little confused

Great thread Dev, I'll be opening up to the forum later when I get home to a laptop.

Hey all,

My name is Andrew and I am currently a 23 year old student at Arizona State University. I picked up golf a few years ago but just took the sport up a little more seriously about 2 years ago. Me not on the course:
524834_10151362814746356_317828966_n.jpg

I live in Bellevue, Washington during the summers and might move back there soon to help my parents out with work so they can retire sooner. Love pretty much any sport...University of Tennessee is my team but having gone to high school in Canada I do love me some hockey (Go Kings!). I am known to wear some interesting outfits on the course and at a THP event I feel like I would have to just to try to gain some sort of advantage by distracting everyone. Pretty shy most of the time but THP has helped me open up a lot more especially on the golf course.

I'll be the kid who looks like he is 16 in Vegas.

My name is Jamie Garrett. I am 36 years old and live in Jonesville, VA, which is in extreme SW corner of VA, on the TN/KY border. My wife (Hannah) and I have been married for 7 years, but been together for 15. We have two gorgeous little girls. Gracie, who is 5 years old, and Emmy, who is 2 years old. I am a huge sports fan. I love the Tennessee Vols and Washington Redskins. I am also a fan of the Boston Celtics and the New York Yankees. I began playing golf about 15 years ago. Before marriage and kids, I was a lot better than I am now. But I still love to play every chance I get. I also love to read and talk about golf whenever I can. I love this site and visit it numerous times a day.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
Great picture Jamie, nice family!

Thanks. I wish I knew how to have the picture show up in the post instead of having to click the link, but at least it's there. lol

This is just an awesome thread, so I may as well contribute a story.

Our tale begins on a late March day in the auspicious year of 1975, when a child was born in the cultural mecca known as St. Louis. A child with a dark and terrible destiny. Few know his true origins, but many have speculated.

Having been taken in and raised by a family that would nurture his love for books, the young man's magical prowess would quickly grow beyond the control of the village elders.

Okay, okay... no fantastic stories.

My name is Dennis. I'm a native St. Louisan, and except for doing some time in college, I have lived in the St. Louis Metro area for all of my life. I was adopted when I was 3 months old. I have no information about my biological parents, nor do I have any interest in pursuing that information. I've known that I was adopted since I was old enough to understand the concept.

I'm 38 years old.

I have worked in IT for 18 years, with experience in helpdesk, PC/MAC support, network operations, information security, Unix, Oracle database, process improvement, CRM, and on and on. I work for a globally recognizable company.

I'm kinda fat.

I have a strange sense of humor. It can at various times be sarcarstic, dry, off the wall, or self-deprecating. Few topics are off limits.

I love lamp!

I'm an introvert and have mild social anxiety. That can mean that it takes a while for me to make new friends, or to be comfortable and open up around new people. Initiating conversations and making small talk are not my strong suits. If I'm meeting people somewhere, I've been known to get there early and then sit in my car in the parking lot until I see someone I recognize.

I like to joke about the hat being possessed by a sentient being to amuse myself.

My wife and I are currently separated. We have a 5 year old son, who I currently have two nights a week. He is technically my stepson, but I don't think of him that way.

I like to do impressions and accents.

I'm an Eagle Scout. I love being in the outdoors, including camping, fishing, golfing, hiking, etc. I look forward to sharing this with my son when he's old enough (and if he chooses).

I'm running out things to say.

Best photo I have of me and the family:

255102_1983561559063_7947724_n.jpg

Ok, I'm joining in the fun.

My name is Dan. In some parts of Iowa, I'm still known as Rock. My wife hates that nickname, and I'm not sure why. I'm 31, I've been playing golf since I was old enough to hold those plastic mickey mouse clubs in my hand. I live in a very small town. In fact, there are no stop lights in my entire county. I'm an attorney, which seems to get in the way of my desire to play golf every single afternoon in the summer. Married to my beautiful wife Jewell. We have one son, Greyson. Who has the same name, but different spelling of blugold's daughter. It snowed last night and today, which really doesn't help my desire to golf. My wife and son are everything to me, and they are gracious enough to let me play lots of golf in the warm months. I've lit parts of my hair on fire more than once. I once dressed up as Vanilla Ice (aka Robert Matthew Van Winkle), and even dyed the front of my hair for it. I am part of the 2006-07 Drake Law School Flippy Cup Championship Team. I swear more than I probably should, and it's only a matter of time before my 21 month old son repeats me (and trust me, I'll be the one punished for it). I'm a die hard Iowa Hawkeye Fan, I really don't pay much attention to professional sports, unless there's a Hawkeye Alumni playing for the team. I'm told I have a pretty sweet pink shirt.

And now a few pics.

I used to be in a rock band

One of my 3 offices.

My son and me.

My son loves golf carts.

The wife and I. We were a little younger in this picture, but I always liked it.

~Rock

Nothing like chillin on the couch with your little one McRock.

Back