Cobra AMP CELL Driver & AMP CELL Pro Driver Preview

Howie, TYNO and Lambro those are some sweet gamers right there. Love all the different shafts and color combos everyone's going with.

Just got back from a photo session with my new Cobra Amp Cell Pro. I'm in love with this Driver!

I went with a Medium Multi Compound Grip and the RIP Beta White Shaft.

image-1_zps8c17296f.jpg

image-1_zpsbfb88044.jpg
Looks amazing.
how are you liking the shaft?

Guys, awesome pics and drivers! I'll bet I have mine early next week...sweet!!

US open one looks good but I like the masters one better

Holy crap!!!! That is most sexy, beautiful, insane-looking driver I've ever seen. Thanks for posting. That's sooooo awesome!

Last edited:
I have a great idea for a contest for the U.S. Open Edition Cobra Amp Cell driver i posted. Since it is such a beautiful looking driver with lots of color and flash what about a beauty contest among thpers drivers. Everyone would get one entry of their best looking , most tricked out driver then we let fellow thpers vote on the best looking driver.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

So I got the AMP Cell out for her maiden round this morning, let me premise by saying it was raining like crazy, and windy so certainly not the best conditions to get it going with. No warm up, no range session and straight to the course in full rain gear so not the best feel, but I was amazed the performance.

First ball went right ob but was more swing than club, second ball went straight down the middle, and felt great, even with two gloves on!!!

I thought the shaft felt a bit whippy before I hit it, but boy does it perform, it gives great feel and feedback and I really feel like I can get the head turned over after impact to turn my little push into straight or a baby draw up the middle. Once I get it dialed in I have no doubt I'll be able to get some more distance.

Right now I'm playing it at 9.5, but have thoughts about going to 10.5 or even 10.5 D so hopefully the weather gets a bit nicer this week I'll get out for a nice range/practice session.

The gusts were about 30 mph at times, and I was really able to keep the ball down out of it and still get great distance and roll even in the super wet conditions. If it did one thing for me it gave me the confidence I haven't had in a driver for a while. And I don't' know if it was the dark gloomy skies but the red and black looks amazing!!

Jeez IceyShanks I hope it's warmer in southwest Nebraska it's 46 here.

Glad you liked the driver though, if it can please you in sub optimal conditions I can't wait to hear what it'll be like when the weather gets nice.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I'm sure you'll get it dialed in very fast Icey!

Looking at all those colorful drivers, I almost need to see my grey super power AMP Cell Pro to not feel jealous! :D I'm definitely getting some colorful fairway woods / hybrids!

Have any of you played the ZL Encore.
if so, how would you compare them?

I messed with the wrench a bit yesterday. For the last year I've been playing at 9.5 but bumped my amp cell pro up to 10.5. So far I'm liking the results.

She impressed me again today, averaged 256 yards off the tee and hit 11 fairways......

I don't see me replacing the Amp Cell for a long time.

She impressed me again today, averaged 256 yards off the tee and hit 11 fairways......

I don't see me replacing the Amp Cell for a long time.
Same here!!!

Does anyone know the head weight of the amp cell driver and fairway? I've looked all over the net but cant find the weight.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Played a course with a lot of forced layups on in today so not a ton of opportunities for driver. Struggled with pretty much everything on the front but started to loosen up on the back. Had the driver set at 9.5 and once I got going I was seeing a slight push with some good distance, but the rough was slowing the ball down a bit. Switched it to 9.5 draw and bam, 280 right down the pipe. Psyched to say the least. Unfortunately that was the last driver hole for me. Can't wait to get this back out. Don't know if I'll stick with the draw setting but it's nice to have the option if you're pushing everything on the range.

Hit the Amp Cell w/ stock stiff at Dicks today. Didn't get much good info out of my session other than Dicks launch monitor isn't very dependable. Felt really good for such a light offering. Hot off the face and decent balance. Best "sounding" driver I've hit in a while.

As I said though, yardages were bogus as I was flying mis-hits 260-270 and good drives were all around 295 give or take.

I now have my first range session with the new driver under my belt and I took a couple of other drivers with me to give a little comparison.

First a little about me, I struggled with my driver for most of 2012. I finally gave up trying to fix things and went with what I had which was a short but very accurate fade/slice. I spent a lot of time in the offseason getting some help and working on fixing my swing. I am happy to report changes have occurred but with an overcorrection. I have started the year fighting a hook but it is still a major improvement over where I was this time last year.

I hit several balls trying to dial in the MyFly tech on the Amp Cell. I bounced between 9.5, 9.5 Draw, 10.5 and 10.5 Draw but finally settled on 10.5 as the right combo to get me the most distance and accuracy. With the hook I am fighting, the draw settings just made it worse. I am really impressed by the MyFly tech so far. I found a noticeable difference in all the settings, which I could not say for the Zstar I played a few years back.

Here are the three drivers I had with me:
1. Cobra AMP Cell, MyFly set at 10.5 w/ MRC Diamana Kai'li Stiff @ 45"
2. Bridgestone J40 445 10.5 w/ Attas T2 Stiff @ 45.5"
3. Cleveland Classic 290 10.5 w/ stock Miyazaki C.Kua @ 45.25"

Feel - Sound is feel to me and that sucks because my hearing is not the best. My first strike with the Cobra was louder than I was used too but after a couple shots that went away and I didn't really notice much difference between the 3 drivers. There was a noticeable difference in the flex points of the 3 shafts. The Kai'li is very smooth with the softest flex in the middle of the shaft. The Attas feels similar but with the softest flex coming somewhere between the middle and the tip. The C.Kua has a very active tip.

Distance - The J40 was the easy winner here. It could be due to the longer shaft, lower spinning head, or the fact that it has been my gamer for a year but the ball just flies with this driver. The Cobra was about 5-10 yards back and the Cleveland and I just do not get along, as it was another 5-10 yards behind the Cobra.

Accuracy - This is where the Cobra really shined. My dispersion with this club was very good and it did the best job of controlling my draw/hook. The J40 was also very good but I found myself a bit farther left than I would like on a few and the grouping was not quite as tight. I think the shaft in the Cleveland really hurt that club today as I was hooking everything and when I tried to fade it I would end up blocking it right.

Forgiveness - I found my miss today was low and towards the heel, which isn't a good fit for any driver I have found but the E9 face tech on the Cobra appeared to do the best job keeping the ball in play and not punishing me too hard with distance loss. The J40 came in second with the very tall face of the Classic putting it in last place.

Overall - I am very happy with the results I got today. I can't give any specific distances or concrete #'s as the range balls are well past their prime and the 40* conditions were less than ideal. The forgiveness and accuracy of the Cobra has me feeling very comfortable over the ball and the blue color looks outstanding in the daylight. Now all I need to do is find that extra distance I have been hearing so much about.

P.S. I am a fan of the head cover. I know others have knocked the looks a bit but I am a fan and think the built in handle is a terrific idea. It also lets you see what setting the club is at w/o pulling the headcover off the club.

Last edited:
excellent write up Erik.

unfortunately, my brother and i skipped the range and went straight to the course today. so after only taking a few swings at home with the Cobra, it was time to actually apply that to attempting to find fairways and get it dialed in.
i had stated that i am really into a good groove/swing with my CC310 right now, so switching drivers could be a little hit or miss (pun intended).

the first 2 or 3 drives were not optimal at all. i saw that miss that Howzat talked about, low and on the heel...which will normally result in a low cut that feels and looks like hot garbage...put same as was he saw, i wasn't extremely penalized for it and still ended up very workable drives. so sometimes it's not how you get there, it's just where you are when you get there.

finally at #4 i put a good swing on the ball and i continued to see this same shot. but boy was it high....almost too high. prior to the turn, i switched it up to 9.5 (was playing at a 10.5, which is normal for me) and then on the back 9, i still saw the same height, but i was seeing some reasonable distance. and previously, i've always struggled with getting the ball to launch with any height. it might have a been a tip i received during my last "fitting" or maybe some of the changes that i've applied to my swing as well. who knows and tomorrow could be another day and i could see different results.

long story short, i saw some good things out of the driver today. good flight, good distance, and decent accuracy.
i've decided to switch to the 9.5 for now, but really have to put in some good range time with it and get accustom to this big boy!

Nice TyNo!

It didn't take long on the range for me to find the right setting. I don't think this is a club I will set and forget. The MyFly tech settings do a real nice job of changing the ball flight enough to make a difference w/o being a dramatic change. Depending on the weather, course conditions, and the swing I brought with me that day, I can make the proper adjustments with just a few swings on the range.

Back