The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to get a short range session in tonight but this rain has not let up. Slightly bummed out about this.

Just got back from the range....spent about an hour hitting nothing but mid irons....5-7 iron...then about 30 minutes with the 8,9 and PW.

My GIR % has skyrocketed in the last few months thanks to the lesson and all the extra work...I was averaging 1-3 GIR per round....now I am much closer to 7 for my average and have had as many as 12 GIR in one round recently.

I have almost completely eliminated the fat shots which has been my downfall for years.

I've been following along on ur recent scores, u are playing some great golf man, glad to see the lessons paying dividends already, keep it up

Went to the range. To sum it up complete waste of time. Mentally I was there but my body was not. I wasn't stiff or anything but I could not get any rotation. It didnt help that the range was in terrible shape. I dont expect perfect conditions but it was just mounds of sand and dead grass and completely uneven.

Been going to the range everyday this week. Working hard on staying more on plane and not coming OTT. It's nice that there is a range and practice center 3 blocks from me. It's difficult to not give in when results don't come overnight.

Tappin' on the Kingphone.

I wanted to get some work in on the course vs the range. Planned on just playing 9 to get the feel of teh new clubs and started gauging yardages, but ended up playing 18 and came away loving these Scor wedges.

Hit the range tonight for about an hour, started off great and gradually got worse. Shorter irons were great, longer irons were not so great, neither were the woods. I haven't been hitting the range as much as I'd like. Work is finally calming down and I've had more free time so I've got my first lesson of the year set up for next Thursday and until then I've got tee times for Saturday and Sunday this weekend, plus some much needed range time! I've been stuck in the mid-80s and I need to get back down into the 70s pronto and build on that for the MC

I just spent about 30 mins putting after work. Wish I had more time l, but it was good to roll the rock for a bit.

Had a great range session tonight. Got back the proper feeling of the release and was really liking the ball flight. Penetrating and low-spin.

Not had a chance to get to the range as it has been lashing down with rain, but I am playing tomorrow in a corporate day so hoping the weather eases a bit

reporting back on my 1st lesson of the year last night.

When I got to the range I met with the same pro who has helped me and my game immensely the last 2 years. For the first 10-15 minutes we just talked while I took practice swings. We talked about the winter, I told him about the Morgan Cup and the Outing this weekend, and also the status of my putrid golf game. Started off with taking a handful of swings with my 9 iron. The first one was hit well, then it was decent with a few bad misses and hosel rockets. After the 9 we jumped to the 5 iron. Saw some thin, fat, left, and right shots. Time to get to work!

Quick thoughts:

Good
1) He really liked my set up and aim. It's come a long way from last year but he said on each shot I said where I was aiming, stepped up and everything looked the same each time, even when I was aiming at different targets. Much more consistent which is a good thing.

2)My grip was still good. My right hand was not over the top which I struggle with. That was something I was hoping he would say because I thought it was back to being too much OTT with the right hand. Knowing that it's still good gave me peace of mind.

Not so good
1)I am taking the club back way too much inside. By doing that I am getting it stuck in a position in my back swing where I have to come over the top to make ok contact with the ball. That's why I am seeing those high weak shots that go to the right.

2)My temp is always fast, but it's way too fast with the driver and longer clubs.

3)With the driver I need to loosed up on my right hand. Because I am trying so hard to get the right movement on the ball I am trying to catch up with my right hand. Leads to me snapping at the ball and creating less then idea shots.

So we did a bunch of little drills, the usual things. The big thing last night was takeaway. I needed to feel like I was taking it outside initially, which was really straight back. It felt very odd, but it seemed to help. Between working on the takeaway, moving the ball forward and trying to hook it as far left as possible, and smoothing out my quick tempo, I left after hitting good shots. I was able to hit some good shots with the driver, 5 iron, and 9 iron. Luckily this Friday I will be at demo day and have the entire day to work on my swing while hitting all of the best offerings on the market this year.

It's not perfect and it won't be this weekend. I know that. But I walked away feeling better and now I know exactly what to work on to get my game back to where it was and better.

It's hard to get my takeaway as wide as I'm supposed to ddec. It does feel very weird. Great way to add some power to the swing though. It feels very exaggerated to me, but video doesn't really back up the feeling.

It's hard to get my takeaway as wide as I'm supposed to ddec. It does feel very weird. Great way to add some power to the swing though. It feels very exaggerated to me, but video doesn't really back up the feeling.

it just feels so strange. But you are right it definitely helps add some power. I'm sure I will spend a lot of demo day working on that. Will help me get out of the Chunky Beat Ball mode.

Heading to the range tonight, going to work on my irons til my hands bleed

Stupid wind messing up my range session. Spent some time on the outdoor range hitting a few drives, irons and wedges. Sadly the wind was up and it was pushing everything to the right. Not good when your trying to dial in your Morgan Cup driver. So i decided to go to the putting green and spend some time with my new Odyssey White Hot Pro 2ball. Mush say the WHP seems effortless to hit.

At the end of my session i went to the indoor bay to hit a final few drives because the indoor range means hitting down wind. Had 12 balls left in the bucket and felt i hit them well. The last 5 were straight and long. Feel i have the kinks worked out with the Razr Fit Xtreme just a matter of taking that to the course

Hit the range tonight for about an hour, started off great and gradually got worse. Shorter irons were great, longer irons were not so great, neither were the woods. I haven't been hitting the range as much as I'd like. Work is finally calming down and I've had more free time so I've got my first lesson of the year set up for next Thursday and until then I've got tee times for Saturday and Sunday this weekend, plus some much needed range time! I've been stuck in the mid-80s and I need to get back down into the 70s pronto and build on that for the MC

I'm stuck in the mid to high 80s as well. Last night I shot a 48 on the front 9, and a 40 on the back. I'm struggling with consistency, and even taking good shots from the range onto the course.

Forgot to add in details on the putting green session. I started at 10ft and hit 3 putts from N,S,E,W then move to 8,6,4 feet. I then go though the same routine but this time i stick a tee in the green and putt to that. I finish by sticking 2 tees about 20 feet apart on an uphill section of the green, then i putt up an down the hill a few times. I repeat this across the hill giving me left to right putts as well as right to left putts.

Takes about 45mins to get this done but i always leave happy with what i've done

Started the morning with a solid range session. I think I've gotten a handle on my timing problems that were causing my shanks. Really good work this morning. Nice straight ball flight with good trajectory.

Also spent about 20 minutes chipping.

My irons are starting to come back around. I went to range today, and I think I've diagnosed my problem, which is (once again) a chronically over-active right hand.

Casting, Over the Top, overswinging, flipping, skulling, shanking, heeling, topping, fatting .... you name and in the last month I've probably mishit it that way. A lot.

Well, thank the old church bells, I'm working on keeping the right arm passive again, and sweet spot contact magically came back into the picture.

I am really having trouble hitting my hybrid. My shots are partially thin, but then I hit shots that aren't going further than 100 yards. Can someone give me advice on the best way to hit them? Thank you

Had a mini revelation today. Realized why I lost all my distance. It make take a few weeks to get back into the groove, but I hope this can get me back to playing sub-80 golf again.

I remember you saying your irons were struggling, but what is it specifically you are seeing Dean-o?

toe shots, and lots of them along with a whole lot of hooks. And when Im not hitting toe shots, im thinning irons.

I have a no bueno back shoulder drop that has been my achilles heal for years, even if I cant eliminate it, Im trying to minimize its impact.

All I did yesterday was work on a "lighter" grip to where my right hand wasnt so dominant. Feels almost like Im going to drop the club lol, but a far my from the grip of death im putting on it. While I dont think my distances were up to par, my contact was MUCH better and I think I only had 1-2 toe shots or hooks out of 50-60 shots hit with irons.

The issues have slowly creeped to my driver too, but nearly as frequently. So I worked on tempo again as my miss with driver is when I typically "rush" my swing and end up yanking it left. Didnt hit a ton of shots with the driver, but enough to have a really more smooth and controlled swing.

No golf balls yesterday. Just hit the medicine ball for 30 minutes. Feeling pretty good at the moment and I'll take it to the range this afternoon.

Played 18 holes yesterday and went to the range for lunch. For the life of me can not stop drawing/slight hooking my hybrids and keep blocking/slight slicing my 3 wood and driver.

Good range session. Played some pretend golf. Hitting the ball better than I have in over a month, so yay. Finished off with 40 balls worth of Pelz swings and 20 minutes putting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back