Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

I must find time to go and hit this club asap! I'm still waffling between this and the x utility.

Since this club is definitely going to be at the Demo Day on Friday, I'm looking forward to the big time boost in reviews that people have on this club. I know I'll be hitting this club numerous times in both pro and non pro form and will be hitting as many different shots as possible.

I will say that I am enjoying the 4H so much I just ordered and XHP 3H in 18 to replace my 5wood of the same loft. Looking forward to putting it through its paces as well.

I love what Callaway stands for and I love the tech that went into this thing. I really do think it is a great great club

I will say that I am enjoying the 4H so much I just ordered and XHP 3H in 18 to replace my 5wood of the same loft. Looking forward to putting it through its paces as well.

I love what Callaway stands for and I love the tech that went into this thing. I really do think it is a great great club

LIKE IT! What shaft did you go with in the pro model?

LIKE IT! What shaft did you go with in the pro model?

I went with the PX 6.0 I am hoping that I will like it a bit better than the shaft in the standard model. If not, I can see replacing both of them down the road or if i do, I will probably throw the same shaft in the standard head. This is sort of an experiment, but with trade in it didnt cost me anything. Hoping I have it for the weekend

I went with the PX 6.0 I am hoping that I will like it a bit better than the shaft in the standard model. If not, I can see replacing both of them down the road or if i do, I will probably throw the same shaft in the standard head. This is sort of an experiment, but with trade in it didnt cost me anything. Hoping I have it for the weekend

That's awesome man I can't wait to hear your results about it over the weekend or early next week.

That's awesome man I can't wait to hear your results about it over the weekend or early next week.

Yes sir. I just feel like the regular shaft may be a bit too whippy for me, but I am seeing pretty good results. Hoping this one holds up a bit better

On course review 5/14

Hole by Hole

Hole 10 - Par 4 with a creek that crosses the fairway at about 240 yds off the tee. I hit the XHot 3H off the tee. A dependable 200 yard shot that leaked a little to the right. Very playable, leaving me an iron over the creek to the green.

Hole 13 - Par 4. Tee shot with the driver went right leaving me at 190 out on a hill, ball above my feet. I choked up a bit since the ball was above my feet, and put a fairly easy swing on the XHot. Contact was nice and clean, but even though I choked up I failed to correct my alignment for the slope. I missed the green left.

Hole 15 - Par 5 dogleg left, a strong driver slice off the tee left me playing this hole much longer than I should have. A very bad habit of mine. Second shot was from some ugly hilly rough near the white rail fences marking the back yards of the houses that I've hit on more than one occasion. What club can get me out of trouble from this situation? Yep ... the XHot hybrid. I had trees between me and the right side of the fairway, so I aimed left and counted on some fade to keep me in play. The shot shape actually worked out okay, leaving me at about 110 out. A PW third shot that came out of nowhere netted me my only birdie of the day.

Hole 18 - Par 5, left side is serious woodland trouble. The hole has a ridge crossing through the middle of the fairway, leaving most second shots blind toward the green. I crushed a driver straight, but the line was slightly to the right. Surprise surprise, my second shot is from the right side rough. I sense a theme.... I'm behind the 200 marker with a blind second shot. I've played this hole enough to have a good feel for where the green is. It's all downhill once you get over the ridge, so I know I don't have to put much on it. However, this entire hole slopes to the left, and I'm used to my second shot being yet another situation where the ball is above my feet. I actually ended up with a decently flat lie this time though. Out comes the XHot. Great contact, and I must have gotten a lot of roll from the slope, because I ended up just short and left of the green, laying 2. My chip rolled out too far, but a two putt par left me feeling great.

Final thoughts for tonight
I actually look forward to getting a chance to hit this club. As much as I've been struggling lately, this is a club that I actually get excited to pull out the bag. I'm not sure if my confidence in the club contributes to me hitting it well, or if the club itself lends itself to me confident in it. Maybe it's a combination of the two. Whichever it is, it's working for me, and I like it.

Great review Shark! Are you noticing your usual shape with the X-Hot is a fade? I've noticed I struggle to hit a draw with it now and I was able to do that pretty routinely at first.

Great review Shark! Are you noticing your usual shape with the X-Hot is a fade? I've noticed I struggle to hit a draw with it now and I was able to do that pretty routinely at first.

Actually, it's probably the straightest club in my bag right now. If it fades at all, it's pretty minor usually.

My usual shot shape with everything else in the bag is a fade to a slice. I have a tendency to keep my shoulders open at address, which I'm working on. I think that the offset in the XHot is actually helping me with that.

Actually, it's probably the straightest club in my bag right now. If it fades at all, it's pretty minor usually.

My usual shot shape with everything else in the bag is a fade to a slice. I have a tendency to keep my shoulders open at address, which I'm working on. I think that the offset in the XHot is actually helping me with that.

Nice job sharing your experience(s) with the group. It sounds like the club/shaft combination is suiting your swing. If you're having a hard time moving it left then the shaft COULD be too stiff but it sounds like you play a fade anyway so it's probably an Indian issue and not arrow.

Are you able to flight the ball at all? I can get the baby fades/draws reliably enough but I just can't seem to flight the ball low when I want/need to. Just wondering...

Nice job sharing your experience(s) with the group. It sounds like the club/shaft combination is suiting your swing. If you're having a hard time moving it left then the shaft COULD be too stiff but it sounds like you play a fade anyway so it's probably an Indian issue and not arrow.

Are you able to flight the ball at all? I can get the baby fades/draws reliably enough but I just can't seem to flight the ball low when I want/need to. Just wondering...

Right now I'm focusing on making sure that my contact is good and that I'm able to advance the ball and keep it in play before I focus on flighting/working the ball.

I've gotten draws from the club at various times, and if I'm on the range I can overcook a closed position at address, but the results are currently far from being either predictable or playable. The additional problem is that when I come back to center and try to hit a normal shot it leaves me out of sorts. So, for now it's not something I want to chance.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle, can you please explain what getting my swing in the minus area is? Thanks in advance.

Right now I'm focusing on making sure that my contact is good and that I'm able to advance the ball and keep it in play before I focus on flighting/working the ball.

I've gotten draws from the club at various times, and if I'm on the range I can overcook a closed position at address, but the results are currently far from being either predictable or playable. The additional problem is that when I come back to center and try to hit a normal shot it leaves me out of sorts. So, for now it's not something I want to chance.

Understand totally. Best of luck with the progress and recovery! Hang in there, it takes time...

Or anyone that can explain having a swing in the minus area I would appreciate any help.

Or anyone that can explain having a swing in the minus area I would appreciate any help.

I think it was used in reference to Angle of Attack. Negative being hitting down on the ball.

I think it was used in reference to Angle of Attack. Negative being hitting down on the ball.

Thank you for the assistance bud. I understand that reference now.

Good job Taylor. I am struggling with tee height. Ryan had mentioned earlier about teeing it really low. I ended up just hitting it off the deck from the tee box. Are you teeing it up?

Tee that bad boy down to top of the neck on the tee. Nice cushion to let it fly or play a low missile

-------

I used mine the other day from a fairly soft lie and as you can imagine it sliced through it with ease. The ball was gone and on its way.

Every time I pull this club it's like a nice surprise. The compact size, color and shape of club are so unique to me. When I pull it for a shot I know the result will be optimal.

I don't know if I'm delusional or what on this (could just be all mental), but I haven't noticed too much of a flight difference when playing with ball position. However, when I shorten my follow through I can hit it much lower. With irons I can flight it lower by moving it back and vice versa, but with this one it's been most consistent with a sawed off follow through.

I don't know if I'm delusional or what on this (could just be all mental), but I haven't noticed too much of a flight difference when playing with ball position. However, when I shorten my follow through I can hit it much lower. With irons I can flight it lower by moving it back and vice versa, but with this one it's been most consistent with a sawed off follow through.

I dont think you are delusional. I see something similar. Have used it for some punches, but no matter where I move it in my stance for full swings I see a high flight unless I misshit it

I dont think you are delusional. I see something similar. Have used it for some punches, but no matter where I move it in my stance for full swings I see a high flight unless I misshit it

Precisely. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE how high I hit this thing. But I wish I was more comfortable with the lower punch shots to get under trees and what not.

Precisely. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE how high I hit this thing. But I wish I was more comfortable with the lower punch shots to get under trees and what not.

Back in my stance and a 1/2 swing or so and I am seeing some great results on punch shots.

I love the height that I'm seeing with this too. I would say that the peak height is every bit as high as some of my irons, it's just peaking a lot further away.

No, you're not delusional. This is what I'm seeing as well. You just can't flight this club the same as a iron or a "hybrid-iron"...

To be honest, I've just quit trying to flight it lower because it doesn't want to be hit low. I always ask though, just in case someone has found a way that works for them. The only reason I would like to be able flight it lower is the INTO-THE-WIND shots and perhaps a low-lying limb or something. Thank goodness I haven't run into this issue yet but I did with my previous hybrids...

Back in my stance and a 1/2 swing or so and I am seeing some great results on punch shots.
Agreed. That's what my go-to rescue has been. But I can cut off a follow through on a full swing and still hit a pretty low burner, which is nice!
I love the height that I'm seeing with this too. I would say that the peak height is every bit as high as some of my irons, it's just peaking a lot further away.
Yup, same here! I love it. And it lands so soft!!!

Back