TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Hybrids Review Thread

Had a package waiting for me today when I got home. I won the bid on ebay this weekend and the club arrived today. Don't really understand how I win. I threw the bid up @like 7 in the morning, just in case. And that night I see in email that I had won.

Had a package waiting for me today when I got home. I won the bid on ebay this weekend and the club arrived today. Don't really understand how I win. I threw the bid up @like 7 in the morning, just in case. And that night I see in email that I had won.

Awesome. Will match that 3 wood perfectly can't wait to see a new WITB soon buddy.

I was planning on getting a shot of WITB tomorrow at the range. The only club left since the first of the year is the driver. No ponder there, YET.

I was planning on getting a shot of WITB tomorrow at the range. The only club left since the first of the year is the driver. No ponder there, YET.

You know you want the stage 2 drive.

I would like to try it, but unless it's dirt cheap and I mean DIRT, I don't want a new driver now. I may look at a driver in the fall. But now a new shaft option for the driver may not be out of the question. You never know.
You know you want the stage 2 drive.

Any idea why TaylorMade doesn't release a 2H in anything besides TP styles? I'd love a 2H in my bag, but don't see going to a TP model.

Any idea why TaylorMade doesn't release a 2H in anything besides TP styles? I'd love a 2H in my bag, but don't see going to a TP model.

Brecause unless you have a really high swing speed, you aren't going to hit any further, and probably not as far, as a 3 hybrid. There is a certain point where your swingspeed won't generate enough spin to keep the ball in the air. Same reason why a lot of slower swinging amateurs would be better hitting a 4 wood rather than a 3 wood.

Brecause unless you have a really high swing speed, you aren't going to hit any further, and probably not as far, as a 3 hybrid. There is a certain point where your swingspeed won't generate enough spin to keep the ball in the air. Same reason why a lot of slower swinging amateurs would be better hitting a 4 wood rather than a 3 wood.

Just (unplanned) won a RBZ-1 2H Tour on the eBay so I'll get a firsthand comparison after all.

Just (unplanned) won a RBZ-1 2H Tour on the eBay so I'll get a firsthand comparison after all.

It's an interesting club. I've met a number of TM guys at demo and fitting days that were pretty blah about the 2h, citing it was very difficult to hit. They were pretty much pointing everyone towards a 3w instead if you want the same loft. Obviously they were happy to take your money if you specifically asked for the 2h. I hit one a few times and it was a bit tricky to catch pure consistently.

I'm looking forward to seeing your firsthand tests.

Took this t the range to see of I could get familiar with how this club performs. It started out really rough. I was not seeing the type of shots that I am able to produce with the Stage 2 3W. I was having trouble even making solid contact. After a few experimental approaches to how to hit this club, I started making very good contact and producing nice high penetrating shots. The only issu that I still had was with the aim. I could not get the club to produce a shot to go where I intended. I dontknow if it is the shaft or if I am doing something strange with the club. This is the only club that I am having that issue though, so I am thinking it is the shaft. I went with the regular, which now seems like a mistake. the only other time that I have seen an issue lik this before, is when I was hitting someones elses driver and the shaft was to soft for me. I had an extremely hard time driving the ball straight. either the club lagged of I was very quick with it and hookd the dog crap out of it. That was what I was seeing. I will be giving this one more day at the range before I make a decision on wether to keep it or not. I really want to lik it, but it's not looking good.

I tried this hybrid again with similar results today. Hook city. The only way that I could hit anything resembling a straight shot s when I cooked down about an inch on the grip. It writhed ok with the hands skid down that far, but not what I am looking for. I will give it one more shot, then it's off to the market place it goes. I really wanted to like this club like I do the 3w.

Finally got htis club on teh course today. I was only able to put it in play 4 times. 2 from the box and 2 from the deck. From the tee, this club beautifu,l big, high draw, that was so nice. Around 230 total distance on both shots, exactly the yardage I was hoping for. From the deck I had mixed results. The first one was crap, but was straight about 170yds about 2ft high, if that. It did not hurt me at all, but was a bit troubling. The second deck shout was much better. Total yardage was 235, but I hit it a bit thin and it trickle out to the right. I ended up pin high, but I was only going for a 220yd shot. I was just trying to see what type of yardage I would get with this one from the deck. I will definitely try again soon. I am hoping that when I amon the cours, I can settle down and hit some decent shots with this club, as apposed to the junk I have been seeing on the range. I tend to slow down and swing easier while on the course, so am hoping that it will work out with this club.

Glad you had better results out on the course. It's definitely forces a more controlled swing with those tree lined fairways. I have similar struggles on the range sometimes.

Hope to get out on the course again this weekend and see how it goes. I really do want to like this club, as I absolutely love the 3w.
Glad you had better results out on the course. It's definitely forces a more controlled swing with those tree lined fairways. I have similar struggles on the range sometimes.

Last edited:
I have a Tour 3, and I must admit, the thing seems to amplify my misses. I just can't hit it well, compared to a couple others I have in an Adams V4 and a Tour Edge CB5.

I also don't like the "ting" sound that it makes, at all.

Used this club on Tuesday for league only once.

Nice hit, but huge fade right. That seems to be the case when I go after it.

Still left me in a nice spot to try and get a gir.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

My two new Stage 2 hybrids came in yesterday, 3 & 4. I got the Tour version so I could have the heavier 80g shaft. I'm heading to the range this morning to test these bad boys out... I sure hope they perform like I want them to!

My two new Stage 2 hybrids came in yesterday, 3 & 4. I got the Tour version so I could have the heavier 80g shaft. I'm heading to the range this morning to test these bad boys out... I sure hope they perform like I want them to!

Good luck with those. Curious to see what you think of them. I just got the 3hybrid, but not the tour. I probably should have.

Used my 3 19* last week a few times. Most memorable shot was 2nd shot on par 5, from the left rough i had 260 to the green with helping wind and trees about 75 yards in front of me. I tried to hit a low draw around the trees and roll it up on the green. Well, I did the first part but just missed the green short, got up and down for bird tho! This would have to be my favorite club ever, consitent and long.

I had a great shot with this club today right off the bat.

Had a horrible drive and was left about 200 out on a par 4 rim the rough. Nice lie so I hit this club. Low ball flight which was fine because I had to get below some trees, hit a hill on the left from of the green, took a horrible bounce over the green, but stopped on the back fringe.

Chipped on and made par.

I had other good shots, and bad shots.

Here's the thing, when this club is good, it's great, when it's bad it's bad. Right now I'm getting about 50/50 good bad.

I think the the head is great, I've had great hits from just about any lay, from the ball above and below my feet, downhill and uphill, whatever. And the ball goes and goes.

I just don't think the stock rocketfuel shaft is for me, I don't know what it is, but I feel like this can be really good with the right shaft.

So, if your looking at this club, I would definitely hit it on a launch monitor, because this shaft ma not be for everyone, and if possible I would try different shafts.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Ok just received my Stage 2 25degree. Stiff. Standard not Tour. Hit 10 balls as I had to get back to work and this is what I got back

Consistent, 10 balls between 165 and 170 Metres (180.5 - 186 yards). 5/10 balls within 3 metre group, 7/10 within 6 metres.
Great launch (I want it to fly and land softly)
Nice little fade which is unusual for me as my stock shot is draw, might have been the left to right cross breeze.

This club is doing exactly what I bought it for, it will sit between my 4 and 5 iron and give some more options from various lies. Great club.

Considered the tour but I don't want to fiddle, I have clubs with more or less loft for those jobs. Should be good for the odd chip here and there as well.

I can't see the other club makers beating these for absolute consistency. I have the RBZ 22 and might even consider a 3 wood in these now.

Hit this club at the range again. I hit it awesome, with a nice little fade. I can't go after this club with the stick shaft though

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

my accra shafts finally came back with tips. I put my tour 3, 4, 5 on them and took to the range to get better acquainted. The balls were absolutely jumping off the face and rather loudly too. It took me a long time to warm up to hybrids but now with these I'm all in. I didn't get much time with them but hopefully I'll have more detailed thoughts over the weekend.

Another 18 with me using the TaylorMade stage 2 3h.

I hit this amazing on the range Wednesday, but yesterday the course it was awful. But I'm working on my swing and that had a big part in it.

Out of curiosity I let my golfing partner hit it. He was bombing it, 200-215 it seemed, nice and straight, high with soft landings, he landed on and stuck two greens. He actually tells me he's going to steal it.

I know this is going to be a great club for some people, but I'm unsure if I'm going to be one of those people at this point.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I had a frustrating day of golf, everything was off the heel, it was a really busy day at the course since it's so nice and since I was holding people up I quit after three holes, but I did use the Stage 2 Hybrid off of all three tees and a couple other times.
I've been working on my swing so my normal speed isn't there and I think that has to do with the success I had with this club today.

First hole I hit one on the left side of the fairway into the rough, probably about 190 nice easy swing it had a slight slice I'd say medium height. Left me in a great spot all things considered.

Second hole is a bit longer my tee shot was great, to a spot I use to hit my driver to frequently when I first started golfing, about 200 yards, straight high ball flight into the middle of the fairway. The second shot I also used the 3h, I had to wait for the group ahead to clear the green they got in their carts so I set up and swung pulled it left... Right toward the guys who were sitting there. They were 200+ out so I didn't yell fore, medium ball flight pulled it left but it was straight, made my way to the ball and found it had to have landed right where those guys were sitting I felt really bad I went and apologized as they were standing on the next tee yet. So I guess the Covert isn't the only club that will cause you to hit into people, I'm just glad Tiger wasn't there.

The third hole I fell apart and hut three straight hosel rockets saw that I was holding people up and went to the practice range.

I find so far the best results with the club for me are off of the tee, where I get a nice perpetrating medium high ball flight that seems to go and then roll forever.

The face is showing quite a bit of wear on it already nothing that happens performance, but I really wish that TaylorMade had other options then a black face.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Back