Clubs That Didn't Catch On

How is Mizuno a boutique iron? They cost the same as every other forged players iron on the domestic market...

THPing on Tapatalk

When I say boutique, I'm not talking about price. I mean an OEM that is known for one product more than anything else. They have small sales volumes even in the segment they specialize in, but in that particular segment they are widely recognized as one of the best and will have a cult like following. You might see 20 mixed OEM bags lined up, but only see that OEM represented in that one segment. If you don't like the term boutique, pick something else.

I think Mizuno makes great clubs. I rarely ever see anyone gaming anything but their irons.

My other example that I put in this group was Tour Edge. I think their Exotics and CB lines are awesome, but you will primarily see people gaming the fairways. You'll occasionally see a hybrid or driver, but it is typically always the fairway.

Adams used to fall into this group related to hybrids. Yes, you'd occasionally see a SGI full set or a fairway, but it was almost always a hybrid. Once they were bought by TM, they just joined the machine that is the #1 slot.

I just bought a Protype on the bay for ~$70 shipped

My irons never caught on. Cobra S3 pro I don't know why I think they are fantastic

All I see are damaged ones when someone wants to trade them in at work. I don't recommend them to many people. I can't comprehend how someone continues to buy them and I wouldn't buy them myself. Somehow, the last 845 driver I saw had a split face that circled 3/4ths of it. It looked like someone took a can opener to it.

All I see are damaged ones when someone wants to trade them in at work. I don't recommend them to many people. I can't comprehend how someone continues to buy them and I wouldn't buy them myself. Somehow, the last 845 driver I saw had a split face that circled 3/4ths of it. It looked like someone took a can opener to it.

I was talking more about the irons. I don't think TA makes clubs anymore.

What about the Cleveland CG Black irons or those Callaway Black irons. I don't think I have ever saw anyone playing these on a course.

I just got a set of the Callaway razr x black a few weeks ago and I absolutely love them so far

I was talking more about the irons. I don't think TA makes clubs anymore.

Oh, my bad. They do though, I work for the company that sells them. I wish they would stop though so we could get some more products in from other brands we carry. Better product really.

That's too bad. Like with some other brands, once it gets acquired by an outside party the quality goes downhill.

Umm, the 845's were somewhat popular...

I think the old SS 845s were a great iron considering their age. I still see a lot of people out there on the course with them. It seems like if you see a bag with irons from the 90s, it's either Ping or TA 845s. My uncle is still playing his that he bought new.

Umm, the 845's were somewhat popular...

Pretty much the product that put Tommy Armour on the map. Then the company killed itself with the Ti100 haha. Man what a terrible iron set.

A guy I play golf with every weekend still uses the old TA 845's.

How about the Wilson Reflex irons? I don't think they ever caught on and now Taylormade is re-introducting them 35 years later as the newest technology breakthough.

I just got a set of the Callaway razr x black a few weeks ago and I absolutely love them so far

^^ This! I have these irons as well and love them. Compact head, topline could be thinner but the feel at impact and trajectory are great! Some people I play with game these but outside of them I never hear or see a mention of these. ...Just want to represent for the underrepresented Razr X Blacks. :thumb:

Back