New wedge: need more spin

jagnole26

Reaction score
Handicap
I have 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges, and I have trouble getting spin on all of them. My 52 is a Nike Vr, 56 is a titleist sm4 (older), and my 60 is a Nicklaus. I have gotten the grooves checked out by a pro fitter and he said they were fine. This is a recent problem, possibly due to my swing. I am really just trying to find out from the community here what wedges produce more spin on the ball. The 588 RTX looks tempting, but I am open to other suggestions. BTW, yardages for wedges are : 52-115, 56-105,60-90-95 if that helps at all. They all have stock shafts and winn dri-tac wrap grips with one outer wrap. Thanks.

What kind of ball are you using? The fact that you have three different wedges and the same problem with all of them leads me to believe it's more a swing issue than anything.

What kind of spin are you looking for? Are they rolling off the green for you?

Fresh grooves, urethane covered ball, clean lie, and swing technique produce spin. Not the specific wedge.

And I don't believe for a second that RTX faces do a darn thing other than look nice when new.

I use bridgestone b330-rx. It might be a swing issue but what boggles me is that it is so recent. I have never had a problem with this in the past. I haven't been playing as much as of late, but I have been at the range a few times a week. I have videos of my swing, maybe I should check those out. Thanks

You should be able to get some spin with that ball in the right conditions. Either way, new wedges are always nice and fresh grooves can't hurt. RTX are pretty well regarded here for sure. I actually get some pretty good spin out of the 588 Forged as well.

Maybe the greens have been very hard recently?

Possibly. About 3 wks ago jax had heavy rain and ever since then my area has been bone dry. Good suggestion, did not think of that one.

Face condition, technique, conditions.... all three would play a part. If you think the wedge is the issue, get a new one. Just don't expect it to change anything.

Skeptical as I am about the RTX588's, I took the plunge today. Needed a wedge replacement anyways, so why not.

I am not expecting any substantial change from the wedge itself, but hopefully with improved technique from increased practice, paired with the wedge itself, that I might experience something I didn't expect.

I would agree that it is more than likely a swing issue more than equipment. Especially if a pro looked at your equipment and said it was good. I bought a set of Scor wedges and I don't get a lot of spin personally, but I know it's my swing. My son hits them and can back the ball up all over the place. I pick the ball more with a sweeping swing. I'll hit the ball and it will roll from one side of the green to the other just about.

There really is no wedge that spins any more than any other wedge because they are all built within the rules.

Sent from my grain flow forged iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to get some spin with that ball in the right conditions. Either way, new wedges are always nice and fresh grooves can't hurt. RTX are pretty well regarded here for sure. I actually get some pretty good spin out of the 588 Forged as well.
re-grooving will do the job as if the wedge is new when it comes to grooves..
Looking new is another thing

Sounds like a technique issue to me, but refreshing the grooves on the club may help as well. I don't tend to get much spin either, but I have managed to get the Bridgestone e6 to check on short chips at times (sometimes when I didn't expect it) so I know it is not my clubs that are the issue, it is my technique

http://www.pelzgolf.com/dave_pelz_golf_pro_shop/golf_book_short_game_bible.aspx

Save the money and get this instead... I had enough spin to keep a ball from rolling back before I studied this book. Now I can let it roll out, stop it, or bring it back. What I thought I was supposed to do to generate spin was all wrong.

Just for informational purposes I was playing the 588 Forged and just switched to the VR Pro wedges and I'm seeing even more spin with these than my Clevelands.

I use Bridgestone b330-rx. It might be a swing issue but what boggles me is that it is so recent. I have never had a problem with this in the past. I haven't been playing as much as of late, but I have been at the range a few times a week. I have videos of my swing, maybe I should check those out. Thanks

I would try the RX-S ball then. You can't spin the RX ball too well. Tried it at Golftec next to a Q-Star and it spun about 2/3 as much or less. The club does make a difference somewhat but its just the grooves that do that not the face milling. As an example I was hitting a 588 RTX and a Miura 60 on the monitor at Golftec. A full solid shot with the Cleveland hit about 5400 rpm and the Miura about 7000 - hitting the same ball. The Miura has no face milling either. The Mirua make a mess of the ball though, you can tell where you hit it by the shreds of ball left on the face.

Fwiw, for lots of spin I love the Nike 20Xi-S

sooo many factors. Could it be the greens you're playing on hardening up? I know they are here in Texas. Also, try a steeper attack angle and have the shaft bent forward. I have more of a problem of over spinning

Back