2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squats last night. 5 sets of 8 reps. Legs are pissed this morning.

On a different note, last week Monday the scale said 231. This morning, 225.4. Feeling good about that.

Squats last night. 5 sets of 8 reps. Legs are pissed this morning.

On a different note, last week Monday the scale said 231. This morning, 225.4. Feeling good about that.

That is an awesome drop blu!!

I realized this morning, as I got to the gym and the power was out for some reason, that I haven't missed a day of working at in some way shape or form for 3 weeks! I usually don't care about what the scale says, but I told my wife last week that I wanted to get under 200. It's going to be tough, because I do not want to lose any, or at least have minimal, muscle loss, and I still do a lot of lifting - a lot of supersets, which help keep muscle loss at bay while helping burn calories. I was 218 at the time - I was 215 this morning, and really haven't been paying that much attention to my diet. Gonna sharpen the diet up again and see where it takes me - would like to be under 200 by end of June at the latest!

REALLY glad to see everyone keeping up the good work - very inspiring!

I realized this morning, as I got to the gym and the power was out for some reason, that I haven't missed a day of working at in some way shape or form for 3 weeks! I usually don't care about what the scale says, but I told my wife last week that I wanted to get under 200. It's going to be tough, because I do not want to lose any, or at least have minimal, muscle loss, and I still do a lot of lifting - a lot of supersets, which help keep muscle loss at bay while helping burn calories. I was 218 at the time - I was 215 this morning, and really haven't been paying that much attention to my diet. Gonna sharpen the diet up again and see where it takes me - would like to be under 200 by end of June at the latest!

REALLY glad to see everyone keeping up the good work - very inspiring!

I was really obsessing over my diet for a long time, now its just sort of fallen into place. I have been trying to watch it more mainly because of some stomach issues but its nice not to really have a craving junk as much as I use to. I try to limit myself to one bad meal a week because that seems to get rid of the cravings.

I went to the gym last night, got on the leg press to warm up and my legs locked up. My legs have been hurting to begin with and I haven't even done a leg workout in weeks, probably over a month. I also have what I think, in my right leg, is a varicose vein and it hurts sometimes. I should probably go get it checked out, go figure one of the suggested treatments is working out LOL. I just find it comical, I am healthier than I have ever been. Five, six years ago I was well over 220 and now on a good day I am 168 and I feel like garbage.

Moved some of my house into my new house last night. Didn't get to the gym but that was better than nothing. After this weekend life should slow down so I can get back on the course and in the gym. Keep up all the great work all!!

Moved some of my house into my new house last night. Didn't get to the gym but that was better than nothing. After this weekend life should slow down so I can get back on the course and in the gym. Keep up all the great work all!!

heck that workout might be twice as tough as the gym will be

Back in March, I didn't do any of my workouts for 3 days. But I did load and unload an entire house from the moving truck when my brother moved. Two straight days of manual labor seemed plenty sufficient exercise.

~Rock

The wife and I didn't want to wait so we went with the Bodymedia Link armbands which we like (doesn't affect swing). Hopefully I don't regret but I am waiting to hear your feedback.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

After my first few rounds wearing it, I haven't noticed it at all, I wear it on my dominant hand, right for me, and I don't notice having it on at all while playing, swinging. The only time I do notice it is when it vibrates mid round when I meet my daily goal!

I don't do ab specific work. But I do a lot of standing lifts. It's amazing how much I feeling it in my core right now.

I don't do ab specific work. But I do a lot of standing lifts. It's amazing how much I feeling it in my core right now.

Totally underrated. Completely agree.

Brougth tons of boxes up and down from my old house to my new house yesterday. Going to do more of the same today and tomorrow. Should be back at it by Sunday.

Totally agree Blu - if you do the major lifts, tighten your core as you lift, making it a virtual lifting belt, that is as good core work as it gets. That said, I do some weighted planks, side planks etc since I can no longer squat.

Got done at the gym. There was a dude who was jacked. Which is impressive. Even more impressive was how confident he was to wear a tank top with that much back acne.

A trainer said he had ILS. Invisible Lat Syndrome. I laughed

Got done at the gym. There was a dude who was jacked. Which is impressive. Even more impressive was how confident he was to wear a tank top with that much back acne.

A trainer said he had ILS. Invisible Lat Syndrome. I laughed

Sometimes that is a pretty indication of steroid use.

Just started my second week of the Insanity workout. Think i'm going to try to mix in my normal weight training (3 days/week) as well. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Tap, tap, taparoo

I lived it up big time in Florida at the Outing and didn't care about nutrition or anything. It was awesome. Now it is time to reverse what I put my body through. That part, unfortunately, will not be as fun.

Just started my second week of the Insanity workout. Think i'm going to try to mix in my normal weight training (3 days/week) as well. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Tap, tap, taparoo

I had a friend who claimed the insanity workout was great for his game and he felt a lot stronger coming out of the rough.

Tap, tap, taparoo

I wouldn't reccomend it Bcape. You will quickly overtrain, which will lead to injuries, etc. You MAY be able to pull it off for a week or two, but it's not worth the risk. If I really wanted to combine heavier weights with cardio, I would do kettlebells. ( But find a quality instructor to show you the various lifts - there is a lot of technique involved there ) What I do is lot of lifting, mixing in different exercises but do supersets with exercises for antagonist muscle groups, with little rest, and it has worked wonders with my body composition.

I wouldn't reccomend it Bcape. You will quickly overtrain, which will lead to injuries, etc. You MAY be able to pull it off for a week or two, but it's not worth the risk. If I really wanted to combine heavier weights with cardio, I would do kettlebells. ( But find a quality instructor to show you the various lifts - there is a lot of technique involved there ) What I do is lot of lifting, mixing in different exercises but do supersets with exercises for antagonist muscle groups, with little rest, and it has worked wonders with my body composition.

I would have to agree that is going to be tough to pull off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone here shed some light or guidance on how I can improve my stamina for golf. I am concerned about playing 36 holes in the heat and humidity that will be present at the MC. Obviously I plan to take in a lot of liquids, keep a cool washcloth close, and do not over do it but any other advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Can anyone here shed some light or guidance on how I can improve my stamina for golf. I am concerned about playing 36 holes in the heat and humidity that will be present at the MC. Obviously I plan to take in a lot of liquids, keep a cool washcloth close, and do not over do it but any other advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

I have found walking the course has improved my stamina greatly for when I am riding in a cart.

Other than that I would be willing to bet some jogging and other cardio would all be good for this

One big thing is staying hydrated. Drinking fluids is only part of the equation. Something like the Nuun hydration tablets are a good start. Dehydration can cause all sorts of problems that are going to hurt your golf game. Fatigue being only part of it.

We talked at the outing. I really believe you need to get out and walk every day. Getting your legs stronger, getting your cardio up and get in shape in the process. There is not Marc formula buddy. You gotta dedicate the next two months to getting into a position that will allow you to play 54 holes in 90+ heat.

Ill be doing the same, I felt it this weekend more than I ever have. Being a good shape will help me and others get through the weekend.

We talked at the outing. I really believe you need to get out and walk every day. Getting your legs stronger, getting your cardio up and get in shape in the process. There is not Marc formula buddy. You gotta dedicate the next two months to getting into a position that will allow you to play 54 holes in 90+ heat.

Ill be doing the same, I felt it this weekend more than I ever have. Being a good shape will help me and others get through the weekend.

Freddie is right, its just about putting the time in. Not everyone is ready to walk 5 miles or walk 9 holes, but we all need to start somewhere. Whether thats walking the dog one more block than you normally do every day or by parking 20 more spots away from the door at work & the store. Every little bit helps and it really doesnt take that much time to get started. It just about committing to starting, then continuing to add on to it.

Also, try playing 9 holes as you're own cart path only rules. You hit it 30 yards from the path, guess what, you walk back and forth every time. Maybe its just every other hole to start, but it can be done. And be done very cheaply and without requiring hours of your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back