This May Be the Whiniest Thing I've Ever Heard.

The money enters into the equation for me for the following reason.

These guys are making (I'm guessing) several times the annual compensation of what a typical corporate executive makes. And probably 10-15 times what the average salaried professional makes.

However they are the top 100 best in the world at what they do. Take the salaries of the top 100 corporations and see what you come up with. These PGA players make peanuts in comparison.

Lets look at this from the other way around...

Someone comes to me and says I'll pay you $1,000,000 per year but you have to work 4 days a week and attend a 2 hour dinner party. Now you only have to work about 30 weeks a year.

I'm in.

WHile I Agree with your thoughts, these guys work FAR more than 4 days a week.

I still think the author whiny and doesn't seem to understand his job.

Howsomever--tour winnings aren't income. They are gross receipts. Tour players have a whale of a lot of expenses to pay out of that, whether or not they make the cut (and therefore earn anything at all) in any given week.

I have no clue what net earnings are, and even less clue what they'd be without some creative accounting.

Which is not to say these guys are poor. Just that they're not bringing home $1 million/year.

WHile I Agree with your thoughts, these guys work FAR more than 4 days a week.

So do both you and I....AND we do it for a lot less than a million bucks a year (at least I know I do). I am sorry, but these guys are pampered nine ways from Sunday with courtesy cars, day care, wive's outings, gifts, etc. everywhere they go to play. Of course they have to practice their trade to keep their skills honed. So do I, but I also get to my office no later than 7AM, leave after 5, and have to travel away from home often. I'll trade places anytime for the money alone, even if I have to put in more hours.

So do both you and I....AND we do it for a lot less than a million bucks a year (at least I know I do). I am sorry, but these guys are pampered nine ways from Sunday with courtesy cars, day care, wive's outings, gifts, etc. everywhere they go to play. Of course they have to practice their trade to keep their skills honed. So do I, but I also get to my office no later than 7AM, leave after 5, and have to travel away from home often. I'll trade places anytime for the money alone, even if I have to put in more hours.

However isnt that always the way for the people that are in the top 1% of their profession no matter what it is?

However isnt that always the way for the people that are in the top 1% of their profession no matter what it is?

Perhaps. But you generally won't catch them whining about having to spend 2 hours at a fancy dinner once a week with the people that essentially sign their paycheck.

I think the author was venting because he's one of the guys between 50 - 110 on the money list and thinks he will bear more of the burden of this. He's unhappy about an added task, he thinks it's inequitable and those that earn more than him are getting off easier. IMO - you guys are misreading what he's really whining about.

Here's how I see it:

He's an athlete, with a job that is the envy of many. His paycheck comes from sponsors and fans, and he's whining about being obligated to spend 2 hours a week with them.

That makes him a complete jerk in just about anyone's eyes.

I won't even go into the cowardice that is venting an article like that, without signing his name to it.

However they are the top 100 best in the world at what they do. Take the salaries of the top 100 corporations and see what you come up with. These PGA players make peanuts in comparison.

True, but folks aren't sleeping in their cars or shelling out several hundred dollars to walk the same hallway Jack Welch walked and recreate making that amazing business deal he did back in '03.

These guys are in the top 1% of their profession, no doubt. But they're getting compensated far more than the vast majority of folks for playing a game. That's why sympathy is so hard to drum up for this individual. Any time you make a very good living doing what others do only for pleasure, you're going to have a rough go complaining about your lot in life. It's the same with photographers, musicians, etc.

I'm not bagging all the tour players as primadonnas - just this individual. I would have thought that Hunter would have learned his lesson after the Ryder Cup comments...:confused2:

Paige MacKenzie Responds to "Anonymous Pro"

Paige MacKenzie Responds to "Anonymous Pro"

Nike staffer and LPGA player Paige MacKenzie has written a response to the "Anonymous Pro" as a guest blogger on Stephanie Wei's "Wei Under Par" blog:

Wei Under Par, Am I Spoiling My PGA Tour Player?

Am I Spoiling My PGA Tour Player?

Paige Mackenzie is an LPGA Tour player. When she’s not playing golf, she likes to write every now and again. She graciously penned a guest blog for Wei Under Par to share her reaction to the most recent column by SI/Golf.com’s anonymous pro.

tumblr_ks1rqy06Xo1qzw1gw.jpg

I recently read an article from an anonymous pro bashing a new PGA Tour policy that requires some players to attend sponsor functions on Tuesday and Wednesday during a tournament week.

He describes the experience as pure drudgery: “[Players] are on the hook to visit sponsors — that’s a nightmare. I can tell you that every player would rather endure a five- or six-hour pro-am round than put on a happy face and hang out at a two-hour dinner.”

To say I was upset would be an understatement. It is the players with that attitude which makes it all the more difficult on the rest of the players (on all golf tours) to make the experience worthwhile for the sponsors. They pay a generous sum of money to support the Tour — not only because they love golf and enjoy a hospitality tent, but it’s also to wine and dine their clients; it’s a marketing play for them, too.

For example, at a Pro-Am this year, Julieta Granada played with a group that was entertaining a distributor of their product. She is charming and bubbly and gave a mini-lesson to one of the distributors. Interestingly enough, the following day the company that brought the Pro-Am group did several million in new business with the clients they invited.

I am not writing this to compare the LPGA to the PGA; we each have our own unique challenges and responsibilities in our job and on Tour. It does however make me wonder if some of the guys on the PGA Tour are acting like spoiled brats.

The anonymous pro article reminds me of a recent piece I read on raising spoiled children (don’t ask why):
When Too Much Attention Causes Spoiled Behaviors

Sometimes [PGA Tour players] act spoiled when [the PGA Tour and sponsors] do too much. Don’t continue to do things for your [PGA Tour players] that they can physically do for themselves.

For example, most preschool-age children can dress themselves, brush their hair and put their own toys away.

To do these things regularly for [PGA Tour players] teaches them to feel they deserve such service all the time. Few [PGA Tour players] learn to show appreciation for these efforts. Instead, they often become impossible to satisfy, thinking there is no limit to what they can demand. [The PGA Tour and sponsors] who feel exhausted and unappreciated may find that they have made their [players] dependent on them.
I am poking fun, but this is a serious issue for the PGA because players rely on sponsors to even have the opportunity to play. I have one thing to say to the anonymous pro and the other players that agree with his stance: If they feel entertaining sponsors is a “nightmare,” GROW UP! This is your job, we work in an entertainment industry and we are a sponsor-driven sport. There is a reason that sponsors support professional golf, and it’s not for the buffet. Rather, it’s one of the only sports in the world that they get to play and interact WITH the athletes.

So do your fellow golfers a favor, put on a happy face and DO YOUR JOB.

Paige M hit the nail on the head. Good for her.

+3 for Paige MacKenzie.

Paige is right. Whiner.

Back