Need New Wedges...

zsmithku

ReadtheRulesShankapotomus
Reaction score
Just recently purchased Mizuno MX-200 irons, 5-PW and need some help deciding which wedges to compliment my set-up. My PW is lofted at 45 degrees which kind of makes things difficult. But at this point I'm looking for wedges, gap,sand, and lob, that do not tear up the face of my ball. Any advice on which lofts to get and what brands/models to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
zsmithku

With a PW at 45* I would strongly recommend 50, 55, and 60 if you are going with three. That way you are even across the board. As for which ones to get, it is really more of a personal preference. I would strongly recommend checking out our wedge shoot out we did a couple of months ago. Most wedges out there going head to head with regular consumers to see which ones worked best for them.

The Hackers Paradise Wedge Shoot Out Results

I like the Mizuno MP-T wedges. They don't have a 50* but they have 51*. I was playing the 56* MP-T with a set of Mizuno MX-19's 4 -GW. I just changed to a set of MP-52's 4-PW and added a 51* MP-T and I like it very much. I am actually hitting the MP-T 51* a little farther than the old MX-19 50* so it might work for you too.

Possibilities...

Possibilities...

I went and hit the the CG14s today after reading the the head-to-head review from earlier this summer and love the feel. Added benefit being they don't tear up my balls, which I consider a huge plus.
That being said, since I have a 45 degree PW should I go 50, 56, 60? I am considering getting the 56 SW and changing the loft to 55 to give me some equal separation in loft angles.
Adding to that premise, I am very tall and have to get all my clubs extended 2". Should I keep the stock shafts in there or upgrade to the DG SuperLights X100 that I have in my Mizuno irons?

Throw some more knowledge my way.
Thanks.

I like the idea of 5* increments if you can do that. I also think your wedges can have different shafts as your irons do, right now mine do and have in my sets for quite a few years. But if you really like the shafts in your irons, go with it.

Be sure and check that the CG14 can be adjusted before you buy it. One of my friends went to have his adjusted and it cracked. It was a reputable clubmaker who was doing the work and he told my friend that there was the possibility of that happening.

Be sure and check that the CG14 can be adjusted before you buy it. One of my friends went to have his adjusted and it cracked. It was a reputable clubmaker who was doing the work and he told my friend that there was the possibility of that happening.

Being a cast club (harder metal used) that can happen. Most CG14s can be bent a 1* or 2* but not much more.

Great advice guys. Appreciate it. I'll have my local golf shop contact a Cleveland rep before I order. Maybe they'll even do it for me at the factory, I'll look into it.

zsmithku

I went and hit the the CG14s today after reading the the head-to-head review from earlier this summer and love the feel. Added benefit being they don't tear up my balls, which I consider a huge plus.
That being said, since I have a 45 degree PW should I go 50, 56, 60? I am considering getting the 56 SW and changing the loft to 55 to give me some equal separation in loft angles.
Adding to that premise, I am very tall and have to get all my clubs extended 2". Should I keep the stock shafts in there or upgrade to the DG SuperLights X100 that I have in my Mizuno irons?

Throw some more knowledge my way.
Thanks.

Longer than normal shafts on wedges is not really as great an idea as it might seem. I am tall and all my irons are 1 inch longer than standard and I have tried longer wedges in the past and found that it negatively impacts accuracy especially with the short game shots. More important than the length is to make sure the grips are the same as your other irons, be sure to replace the skinny grips on the new wedges with whatever size grips you have on the rest of your irons.

Interesting. What do you suggest for length than? And how did the length adversely affect your game? There is no way I can play standard length, especially for a whole 18, my back would be killing me.

For what it's worth, my local pusher suggested wedges the same length (relatively) as my irons. This has worked out where my PW, GW, and SW are all the same length. Does it hurt my accuracy? Dunno! I've never owned a short wedge! Sorry, not much help other than another data point with a CG-14 I still really like.

Interesting. What do you suggest for length than? And how did the length adversely affect your game? There is no way I can play standard length, especially for a whole 18, my back would be killing me.

Just your wedges are normal length, not all your clubs, and the shorter the club the more accurate it is, that is why your 9 iron is more accurate than your 3 iron. I can't speak to the back issues because I have none, I have never had a sore back from playing golf. Lucky? Maybe, but it is also related to swing mechanics and whether you are a hitter or a swinger.

Wedge Length...

Wedge Length...

Hmmm. My back never actually hurts playing golf, but if I had to use standard length clubs it would either hurt my back from bending over to far or my knees trying to squat down more. Either way its not exactly great for proper posture. I'm not exactly sure why you would want your wedges a different length than your irons. I can't exactly see myself using the same length club as a gent that is 5'9" and getting the same results. The longer clubs fit into my body type, hence the benefit of custom club fitting.
I'm not saying you're wrong, because honestly golf is largely about personal feel, but you made me question/ponder the idea of shorter wedges, which in turn made me second guess a decision of getting them the same length as my irons. So I guess I need some more feedback...or more of this = :banghead:
However, I do like the CG14s and think that is the way I'm headed.

Anyone else have any insight to wedge length compared to their iron length?

Hmmm. My back never actually hurts playing golf, but if I had to use standard length clubs it would either hurt my back from bending over to far or my knees trying to squat down more. Either way its not exactly great for proper posture. I'm not exactly sure why you would want your wedges a different length than your irons. I can't exactly see myself using the same length club as a gent that is 5'9" and getting the same results. The longer clubs fit into my body type, hence the benefit of custom club fitting.
I'm not saying you're wrong, because honestly golf is largely about personal feel, but you made me question/ponder the idea of shorter wedges, which in turn made me second guess a decision of getting them the same length as my irons. So I guess I need some more feedback...or more of this = :banghead:
However, I do like the CG14s and think that is the way I'm headed.

Anyone else have any insight to wedge length compared to their iron length?

I hit shots with my wedges where I have gripped all the way down to the metal and I will also hit my driver with the butt end of the grip a half inch or more up onto the palm of my left hand to make it longer for a little extra distance if needed. Go with what feels right to you, that is the number one goal of fitting clubs, making it easier to make a repeating swing with whatever club you are using. My point was just to say that club length is not a critical spec by itself.

pjcedog,

I finally see your point. I've been hitting a friend of mine's Cleveland CG14's on nice days, when available, and his wedges are only extended an inch. I seem to have much more control. And on most shots I'm not taking full swings like my irons, so the 2 inches I have on my Mizuno's probably won't be needed on a future wedge purchase. I think a 1 inch extension is adequate though. I like to be able to stand a bit more upright to keep good posture.
Thanks for the insight.

zsmithku

pjcedog,

I finally see your point. I've been hitting a friend of mine's Cleveland CG14's on nice days, when available, and his wedges are only extended an inch. I seem to have much more control. And on most shots I'm not taking full swings like my irons, so the 2 inches I have on my Mizuno's probably won't be needed on a future wedge purchase. I think a 1 inch extension is adequate though. I like to be able to stand a bit more upright to keep good posture.
Thanks for the insight.

zsmithku

Interesting, I don't know what your handicap is but good posture for golf is definitely not the same as the good posture your mom would preach to you when you were slouching as a kid. They are two completely different things.

Back