The yard work thread

When i don't have to get on my knees, its awesome. Hurt back+not great knees=i'm gonna have a bad time.

I would love to concrete my entire front yard rather than deal with yard work!

I'm right there with you buddy I hate doing yard work!

I love doing yard work nothing like working hard and then seeing the results each and every day there is something very gratifying about it. When it is nice outside I would much rather be outside than inside.

I worked on this bad boy for quite a while today almost there just have to burn out that stump. A tough job but well worth it.

ga2uqa7e.jpg

Ok, yard men, I need some help! I live in Louisiana and I'm having a tough time keeping grass growing in my front yard. The biggest issue, for many reasons, is our huge oak. So, with a big oak sucking up any, nourishment, and giving a lot of shade, how do I grow some grass?!

Here's a pic. Any help would be appreciated!

gy2y7evu.jpg

Ok, yard men, I need some help! I live in Louisiana and I'm having a tough time keeping grass growing in my front yard. The biggest issue, for many reasons, is our huge oak. So, with a big oak sucking up any, nourishment, and giving a lot of shade, how do I grow some grass?!

I am no expert but have you thought about re sodding? It might be a nice way to start fresh and then just try and maintain it also cutting down some branches might help as well. Good luck man

I use a service for the lawn mowing these days (HS buddy, great deal) but I cut the beds and did all the landscaping myself (with the Mrs' help!). This is when it was first done, it's more mature now and looks better but I'm too lazy to take new pics, lol... I've also since lined the beds in the backyard with pavers to match the patio.

casa2ds.jpg

casa1d.jpg

casa1a.jpg

casa3oq.jpg

Pre-landscaping:

casa4u.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics WMac19, I really like the pavers going up to the front stairs they look very sharp. I would like to do something like that at my house, they are brick now and just do not like the look of them anymore.

Nice pics WMac19, I really like the pavers going up to the front stairs they look very sharp. I would like to do something like that at my house, they are brick now and just do not like the look of them anymore.

Thanks. We had concrete there before and it was original to the house, early 70's. Although we completely redid the house, the paver walkway and patio in the back were a couple of the last things added. A year or so earlier, I'd tried to break up the walkway with nothing more than a big sledgehammer. Lol... major fail.

I only managed to crack it in a couple of spots and take chunks off the corners. Looked horrendous. I'm better at yard-work. :wink:

I went from having a very small "garden" to having a fair sized "yard". As for doing any work in it, I hate it!

I don't exactly love cutting grass but I like a nice looking yard. I'm also too cheap to pay someone to do it, so I'm stuck doing it. I moved off of 8 acres to 6/10s, bought a self propelled mower, weed eater & edger since the move and have the front looking pretty nice. Wife & I planted a few roses, Texas Sage, cacti and a few other plants and laid a yard of decomposed granite in the bed. Looks pretty nice if I do say so.
The back yard is another animal all together. The contractor didn't lay any sod so that's been a battle to get grass established. I'm just thankfull the weeds make it look green from a distance.

I'm getting ready to build a little 8x8 addition on to my existing patio for an eating nook. I have a 15x12 now but no real place to setup a table and chairs with the existing patio furniture there.

WMAC19 that is some nice landscaping you and your wife put in. Yard and house look very nice.

As for what type of grass to put down I would go to a local place and get their info. You will need something that does well in shade and partial sun. It looks like to me that you need to put down some gypsum to help improve the soil quality under the tree. The gypsum will help break down the soil. You could probaly benfiet from putting down lime also to help with the PH levels in the yard. If you put anything down I would aerate first. Also I would suggest putting down some compost come this fall and seeding then. It will really help get your yard in shape. Good luck and keep us posted.

99srxman I would love to have a yard that big one day. Your yard and landscaping looks GREAT!!!!

wow, some great looking yards in here!

Here is an update on how the yard is looking so far. Just hope that with the summer heat it stays this way. By the way the front yard is cut on the highest setting and a golf ball will quickly disappear. Also all the pics were taken with a phone
20130529_184407_RichtoneHDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130529_184430_RichtoneHDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130529_184446_RichtoneHDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130529_184530_RichtoneHDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130529_184541_RichtoneHDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20130527_201336.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Our rose bushes are blooming like crazy so I am telling the guys in the neighborhood to come get a dozen or so for their wives! I have hundreds of blooms, and this gets them to trim the bushes for me!

Love the look of nicely manicured lawns. I am in the process of trying to get ours better, the property is so nice but its just fallen into disrepair and its a lot to do by myself. So far I've managed to pretty much finish up my mulching which hasn't been done in three years. I've cut down a few medium sized pines and I have a three more and a bunch of small stuff to get rid of. Our back yard doesn't get a lot of sun so I am hoping I get somehow grow grass back there but I am not sure how.

I love mowing the lawn. Took me two years to make over the lawn at my house after we moved in. It was packed hardpan with bare spots everywhere. Lots of top soil and seeding. No sod

9ubu2e8a.jpg

Last month
ydybynyj.jpg

Feb 2011
5epunara.jpg

Fall 2012
apu7y7us.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

jlukes it is flat out beautiful.

wow jlukes that is a great job, I imagine that took some time to build in or did you just really over seed it?

Jlukes what type of grass did you put down?

Back