New Project X Proto Shafts..

I hope these things perform. They look awesome!

BL3WvIoCcAMphoq.jpg:large

Those are sweet! Definitely one I'd like to try.

Those look sweet. Add me to the list of those who'd like to see more about these! I was actually just perusing PX Black shafts on the bay too... Can't wait to hear more on the design and performance of these.

Those look sweet. Add me to the list of those who'd like to see more about these! I was actually just perusing PX Black shafts on the bay too... Can't wait to hear more on the design and performance of these.

The PX Black is a great shaft, but I am amazed at how much more height and carry I am getting with the new Prototype. And it fights the wind. It was a gusty as San Diego gets today (which admittedly isn't much) and the ball was ballooning at all, and I hit a cut(/slice). As soon as the powers that be allow me to tell you guys more I will.

Don
Lead Designer PX and Grafalloy.

The PX Black is a great shaft, but I am amazed at how much more height and carry I am getting with the new Prototype. And it fights the wind. It was a gusty as San Diego gets today (which admittedly isn't much) and the ball was ballooning at all, and I hit a cut(/slice). As soon as the powers that be allow me to tell you guys more I will.

Don

Thank you for sharing with us Don! The interaction is fantastic.

Ah man. I need to see more this. The tinkering side of my brain wants to put this in my R11 launch monitor it against my Radix. This sounds like such a bad shaft...

The new concept sounds cool in itself, the design rocks the entire package

Don

Welcome to THP Don, I can't wait to hear more.

The thing about this shaft that I'm mostly curious about is the kick point, or lack thereof. Very interested to learn how the engineering/design team did it and what that does to the performance of the shaft (as well as why it does that).

So I pulled this info from the twitter feed of the other site..WRX, so I at fist want to credit them. If this isn't an allowable piece of info due to embargoes please take down...

It appears from what I read that this is a sort of Nunchuk designed shaft. Its claimed to be butt and tip stiff with a softer mid section that is reinforced wrapped. This i think is the wrapping that you see visible on the outside of the shaft. PX is referring to this section as a loading zone. Appears that the loading zone will affect the launch angle of the shaft. The lower the loading zone the lower the launch. The placement of the loading zone will also be affected by the flex value and will move for half point in flex. The loading zone will will be noted by a "LZ18" or "LZ16" The number will designate how far the loading zone is from the butt section of the shaft. The number will vary depending of flex of the shaft. The proto weights are 55 and 65 currently. Looking like higher launch/mid spin conditions for this shaft.

I'm really really interested in this profile on this shaft. I think this will be a very interesting shaft to follow because of the low weight and completely different process in making this shaft with the reinforced loading zone. Fitting for this shaft will be very important I think because of there being no traditional kick point and how the loading zone will react to one swing. Hoping to find out more about this shaft soon.

That is some great info Keygo. If they can vary the loading zone up and down the shaft, I would absolutely love something with a lower spin, lower launch design on it, or even something that could produce a mid launch but maintain a low spin profile.

It seems like this new design will really open the door for shaft profiles to be customized and tailored to each individuals need. Frankly it sounds downright exciting.

Good info there PD. I think I should hold off on any shaft purchases until there is more feedback.

#interested

Interesting anyone else notice in the photo that the shaft is labelled 5-7.0?

Interesting anyone else notice in the photo that the shaft is labelled 5-7.0?
Judging by the markings on the other shafts I would say that has to do with weight and then flex code. 5 = 5x gram weight. 7.0 is the flex code, LZ-18 is the loading zone code. Meaning 18 inches from the butt. If you look close the shaft behind it says 5-6.0 LZ-16..I would assume meaning 5x grams, 6.0 flex code, 16 inch loading zone from the butt.

Judging by the markings on the other shafts I would say that has to do with weight and then flex code. 5 = 5x gram weight. 7.0 is the flex code, LZ-18 is the loading zone code. Meaning 18 inches from the butt. If you look close the shaft behind it says 5-6.0 LZ-16..I would assume meaning 5x grams, 6.0 flex code, 16 inch loading zone from the butt.

HOW DID YOU BREAK MY CODE!?!?

-Don

Good catch and you are smart, I couldn't read the other shafts outside. I figured on the LZ-16&LZ-18 being the distance from the butt for the flex zone.

-Don

We are the best and playdough knows his shafts!

-Don

Just taking and analyzing the info I have found and going by past PX shaft markings.

My head is spinning around the thoughts, theories, and tech behind this shaft. Some of the other info I have found and read about is basically saying that the center section of this shaft is designed and wrapped to stay very stable while adding increased club head speed without the whippy feeling that higher swing speed harder swinging players find in softer shafts but still with increased launch angle. I find this to be very exciting and very intriguing.

I love the graphics on these! Can't wait to hear more about them.

Updated info:
http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2013/06/05/truetemper-unveils-new-driver-shaft.html
True Temper's new PX prototype shaft. (Jonathan Wall/PGATOUR.COM)
By Jonathan Wall, PGATOUR.COM Equipment Insider
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — True Temper unveiled a new PX prototype driver shaft this week at the FedEx St. Jude Classic at TPC Southwind that has a higher launch and moderately higher spin rate than the original Project X and Project X Black graphite driver shafts.
The shaft also features a weave pattern in the middle of the shaft that's significantly softer than previous Project X graphite models and acts as a loading zone on the downswing.
"The new PX prototype is still butt and tip stiff like the other Project X graphite shafts," said Simon Wilson, True Temper's PGA and European Tour manager. "The big difference is in the center of the shaft. By softening the middle, you're able to release more energy into the ball and increase ball speed."
True Temper had players testing three PX prototype models early in the week — 55- and 65-gram versions in a 7.0 flex and a 55-gram in a 6.0 flex. The new shaft is also slightly lighter — 3-7 grams depending on the flex — than Project X and Project X Black.
While the weights and shaft flexes offered are common for Project X's line, the addition of multiple loading zone options for each shaft could be the biggest game-changer of all.
If you look closely at the photo of the PX prototype, you'll notice some numbers below the shaft name. The "LZ 18" on this particular model denotes a loading zone that's 18 inches from the butt end of the shaft. There's also an "LZ 16" that has a loading zone that's 16 inches from the butt end of the shaft.
Of course, matching the loading zone to your swing type is critical if you want to synch everything up. According to Wilson, players with slower swing speeds would most likely want to go with the "LZ 16," because the loading zone is closer to the butt end for easy shaft loading.
Players with faster swing speeds would likely want to go with a 7.0 that's 18 inches from the butt end and slight closer to the tip. The higher speed players need a lower loading zone so the shaft doesn't load too early during the downswing.
True Temper hasn't figured out retail shaft weights and loading zones for the new PX prototype, but the company is hoping TOUR feedback over the coming weeks and months allows them to make a final decision on retail shaft options in the near future.
George McNeill was one of the first to test out the new shaft at TPC Southwind and had True Temper reps put a 7.0 55-gram PX prototype in his 9-degree Cleveland XL Custom driver on Tuesday.

loving the design on the protos. it's slick as all get out.

Back