Are you a "Great Shot" playing partner?

I will dish out the "good shot", not as often as some of my playing partners ( I like to reserve them for tremendous shots )

What gets me is the guy who likes to dish out the "gotta go" or "sit down" on my shots.

But you know what......trashing talking Eddie (in fun of course) might be better than the dead silent Joe.

I'm not silent, I'm quite quirky on the course.

:alien:

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Always tell people "great shot" or "nice putt." Even putts that are close will get a "good roll."

I ALWAYS tell my playing partners "good shot" or "nice ball". It makes me feel good doing it and it has to make them feel good hearing it!

I will dish out the "good shot", not as often as some of my playing partners ( I like to reserve them for tremendous shots )

What gets me is the guy who likes to dish out the "gotta go" or "sit down" on my shots.

Yea, I don't like that either for some reason, esp. if it's hit exactly like you wanted.........talk about the result not what it needs to do.

I have what will probably be an unpopular opinion, but here goes. I don't mind getting a 'great shot' as long as it was just that, a great shot. To me a great shot is a drive hammered right down the middle or an approach that ends up within 8-10 feet or a chip that lips out leaving an easy putt. If the hole is back left and my ball ends up middle right, that is not 'great shot' worthy. If I heel a drive and hit a pull fade that never gets more than 20 feet off the ground, but ends up in the fairway anyway, that is not a great shot. I can't stand the guy who gives up the 'great shot' for any ball put in play. It makes we want to just beat the crap out of them with a 6-iron at times.

I have no problems giving the compliments, but I do so by my own standards and don't just hand them out like a baseball promotion at the gate. If someone hits a good shot, my typical comment is 'nice ball' or 'good ball' and I'll occasionally throw out the line from Bill Murry in Space Jame, 'GOLF SHOT!".

I always say great shot even if it is someone I am playing against. No reason not to. I will also not hesitate to call out my buddies when they hit a particularly bad shot. That is, unless they are super angry about. I'm generally not in the business of making people feel worse than they already do and generally think it's a bad idea to antagonize someone who has a golf club in their hands.

I've found that I'm probably a little TOO generous with my "great shot" comments. Therefore I've modified my praise of one's shot to say, "great swing". It actually works much better because even if the outcome of the shot was mediocre people still like hearing that they're swinging their sticks well.

I dole 'em out. Probably not as freely as Nate wants. When someone's on the tee and they hit something that sounds solid and appears to heading towards the fairway, I'll say. 'shot. When someone hits a good approach shot and they're near me, I'll say, 'shot. If they aren't near me, I don't say anything. I'm not going to raise my voice so someone across the fairway can hear me. I think that borders on poor etiquette, especiallys if there are holes bordering that one, and the raised voice could negatively effect others on the course. However, when I get to the green, I will generally make a point to talk directly to the person who hit the good/great shot and give them kudos while we're both marking our ball and prepping for our putts.

I say it more often than I should. But compared to mine they are almost all great

I've dished out the "be the right club" before when someone hit it right at the flag.

If you play a round with me, accolades are going to be free flowing. I always say something encouraging on decent shots and even more on the outstanding one's.

I don't expect the same in return but always enjoy it when partners acknowledge when I've made a well played shot.

I love motivating my fellow golfers and giving them props for great shots. I also like to think i can recognize when someone is struggling and keep their spirits up by keeping it positive.
Same here for a well struck ball or nice chip, putt or whatever. After a bad shot sometimes but not always I try to put some kind of positive thought into my partners head...."it happens to all of us" or "tough break" or something like that.

I'm more of a "good ball" guy. I like to mix in a "good swing" as well.

I always compliment quality shots...heck, I even give them out for lucky shots.

Over the years I've had multiple regular playing partners that no matter how great a shot that someone in our group just got through hitting or executing, they would never mutter the words, "Great Shot", "Nicely Played" or "Nice Putt" at anytime.

I didn't notice it at first but one day I was sitting under a tree that my drive had found and ended up pulling off a under the tree punch shot that ran up to about 5 feet of the hole. A 1 in 500 shot! I come back to the cart and and there was dead silence. Nothing. Crickets could be heard from 5 miles away. It annoyed me a bit.

So ever since then I've taken notice of a few guys that refuse to partake in the gentlemen's "Nice Shot" comments. I give them out like coupons in a Sunday newspaper as I do enjoy watching and seeing great shots and putts in golf. But not these guys. They are great guys outside of the course and I wouldn't have expected this from on the course.

Which leads me to my question: Are you a "Great Shot" guy or you the guy that keeps to himself on the course even in a friendly game? Why do you not partake in the "Great Shot" banter that is so common in the game of golf among friends?

Man your buddies are dicks. Time to look for some new friends.

I'm definitely a Great Shot kinda guy.

I also tend to have fun with it when playing with regulars. For example, a friend of mine is beast off the tee. I've honestly never seen anyone hit it longer in person. If he's simply murdering it all day, I might throw in a "That all you got" or something just to introduce some humor. Another friend of mine simply doesn't miss fairways, I will hit him with the occasional "Doesn't that get boring" comment or something similar. I'm obviously selective about who I do this with, and it is all in good fun.

I have what will probably be an unpopular opinion, but here goes. I don't mind getting a 'great shot' as long as it was just that, a great shot. To me a great shot is a drive hammered right down the middle or an approach that ends up within 8-10 feet or a chip that lips out leaving an easy putt. If the hole is back left and my ball ends up middle right, that is not 'great shot' worthy. If I heel a drive and hit a pull fade that never gets more than 20 feet off the ground, but ends up in the fairway anyway, that is not a great shot. I can't stand the guy who gives up the 'great shot' for any ball put in play. It makes we want to just beat the crap out of them with a 6-iron at times.

I have no problems giving the compliments, but I do so by my own standards and don't just hand them out like a baseball promotion at the gate. If someone hits a good shot, my typical comment is 'nice ball' or 'good ball' and I'll occasionally throw out the line from Bill Murry in Space Jame, 'GOLF SHOT!".

I agree with that; when you are trying to hit something and it comes off very poor but you still have a decent result. Might be ugly but it worked. Sometimes though the other guys don't know that you weren't trying to do that and it comes across to them as maybe you were. Fine line, I know. Sometimes I'll play with someone that is a 25+ handicap and every shot someone in our group hits is a good shot.......to them! Ha! So I guess it also depends on how well you know who your playing with and vise versa. Good points.

I dole 'em out. Probably not as freely as Nate wants. When someone's on the tee and they hit something that sounds solid and appears to heading towards the fairway, I'll say. 'shot. When someone hits a good approach shot and they're near me, I'll say, 'shot. If they aren't near me, I don't say anything. I'm not going to raise my voice so someone across the fairway can hear me. I think that borders on poor etiquette, especiallys if there are holes bordering that one, and the raised voice could negatively effect others on the course. However, when I get to the green, I will generally make a point to talk directly to the person who hit the good/great shot and give them kudos while we're both marking our ball and prepping for our putts.

I really don't "require" them as much as maybe my post came across. The example I gave was shot that I think we can all agree warranted at least a "nice shot" from someone. Ha-Ha. But no worries, I handled it like a few others already and patted myself on the back followed by a air high five.

Man your buddies are di###. Time to look for some new friends.

You may be right with your opinion, but lets keep this forum family friendly and chill the language?

I give "nice shot" to everyone I play with... even if it's just an o.k shot, I"ll say "nice shot". I like to see everyone I play with enjoy themselves on the course and I think telling others "nice shot" gives golfers a little more confidents when a good shot is noticed & complimented on. Almost every group I've played with will compliment me on a good shot that I hit. So I try and do the same to others. It just gives you a good feelin inside. :D

You may be right with your opinion, but lets keep this forum family friendly and chill the language?

Boy you took me too literal.

Oh I'm definitely a "great shot" partner. My problem is sometimes I say it too much, when it looks good, but it turns out it's really not that good of a shot. Tough to spin that afterwards.

I think I sometimes say it too much. I just like to have a good time. I won't hesitate to say it in any of my MC matches to the people I'm playing against. Fist bumps and high gives will be flowing for every well played shot, opponent or partner.

I always try to say great shot, the game should be fun and when people make good shots they should be commended...Except for Nate that is, he gets nothing from me!

Put me in the camp of saying it too much. Heck, even when a partner/opponent duffs one into the Mogeg you can still offer up a "Good try dude!".

Back