Need input on the following drivers.....

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
Greetings fellow fanatics-in my pursuit of a new driver, I have narrowed my decision down to a few, but as always, am open to any advice.

I am currently weighing out my option between the Diablo, Burner, or MX-700. I am a 7 hdcp and would love any feedback from others out there. Please keep in mind that my golf takes place at higher altitude, and distance isn't a huge concern, I'm looking to find something that's gonna help get rid of the 10-15 yard cut off the tee.

Thanks

All three of them are very good drivers but are also very different. Eliminating the cut off the tee is usually not completely curable with a driver, but I can tell you that some do it better than others. The Burner is a longer driver geared more towards distance than others, so that may not be your best bet, despite the fact that myself and so many others love it.

The Diablo was my favorite driver from Callaway last year as it seemed to take the forgiveness of the Bertha line and add a hot face.

The MX-700 is the unique one in the bunch. THe offset of the driver differs depending on the loft you choose, and it is a low spin high launch driver which could benefit your distance with the high altitudes without seeking it out.

All are very good and you will be happy no matter where you go, but I wouuld test them side by side if you can and see which one matches your swing the best. If that is not an option, then go with the specs that fit your game overall the best. Below are the reviews we did on each one of the three in your post.

Here are the reviews we did on each one.

The Hackers Paradise Mizuno MX-700 Driver Review

The Hackers Paradise Taylormade 2009 Burner Driver Review

The Hackers Paradise Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Review

Thanks JB. I have read your reviews on the above mentioned drivers and I have hit them, but I don't get a whole lot of feedback from the guys at Dick's or Nevada Bob's. It's like they don't want to take the time to spend some time with you in order to help ease your mind or to help put the right club in your hands.

What's your opinion on the "draw" version of the Diablo? I hear that you will not cut the ball with that club?

I thought so as well, but you can still cut it depending on the flaw that is creating the fade, slice, or cut. Low spin might be your answer and if that is the case the MX-700 makes a strong case. But I honestly think that you will be happy with any of them. All 3 are very good clubs.

Cheers JB!

Sidetrack ya here, but the new Ping G15 is worth hitting. I'm in love with my Cobra, but a pal made me hit his G15 and wow, long and good feeling driver.

scooterguiter, thanks for the input. I really am open to about anything at this point. That's what I love about this site....tons of helpful feedback.

You will get hundreds of responses then. Do a search on here for Driver shoot out. We have done 3 of them this year and the first 2 were done in the forum. You will see what the general public thinks of drivers.

As for Scooter, he likes every club...hehe

Don't want to interupt the conversation here but I am just wondering, if you have a 10-15 yard consistant fade what is wrong with that?? Most people would love that consistancy.

it's the only club in the bag that i fade. everything else i hit straight or i can put a subtle draw on the ball. a lot of the courses i play around western north carolina are filled with dogleg's (left to right), and i'm a lefty, so a 10 to 15 yard fade off the tee can be troublesome.

plus, i have a hard time aiming to the right and playing that shot. i haven't had a driver in the bag for a little over a year now.

I do love clubs!
I think any of the 3 you had in mind are going to be a good choice. It will come down to which one has the mojo the day you try them!

JB-had the opportunity to spend some time at the range today with the Str8, which is very sweet, although i feel like a cheater, and the Wilson Staff Smooth. The latter of the two was very impressive. Smaller head at address, kinda reminded me of teeing off with the three metal. You have any info on the Smooth you could share?

JB-had the opportunity to spend some time at the range today with the Str8, which is very sweet, although i feel like a cheater, and the Wilson Staff Smooth. The latter of the two was very impressive. Smaller head at address, kinda reminded me of teeing off with the three metal. You have any info on the Smooth you could share?

TC,
The Str8 is one of my favorite drivers out there and has an unbelievably hot face. The ability to alter the face angle can help a whole lot of golfers out there. As for the Smooth, it is a solid driver we are testing as we speak. Many of the people testing it seem to feel it is one of the best feeling out there right now. I will reserve judgement until after I get more than 10 hits with it. I believe it is 460cc though. Here are our unboxing pictures from Wilson Staff including that driver.

Wilson Staff 2010 Line Unboxing - The Hackers Paradise

JB-I'll certainly be eagerly awaiting your review of the Smooth. Thanks for all your info

JB-spent most of the day at a "free" fitting session at the local Golf USA. Walked out the proud owner of the Str8, 9.5 degree, stiff flex. Determined that by closing the face to the first setting (closed) i had a nice subtle draw. I almost couldn't believe it, cause i've never seen that off the tee before.

Thanks for all your input, it certainly played a major role in my decision making process.

Im glad that it worked out for you. That is a great driver you got there and keep us updated on how it is treating you.

The Burner 09' is a straight long driver. I loved it on long straight par 5's because I could really unload on the ball and trust it to go straight with a tiny draw. It's downside is, it likes to go too straight in my opinion. This might work well for you however. It had the stock Fuki Re-Ax shaft in stiff. If you do not want it to travel to far, you can always have the shaft shortened. This club is a dandy, but the R9 won the day for me because I like to work the ball. I love a 10-15 yard fade! If I wasn't a lefty, I would offer to trade :)

Edit: I just realized I am too late! Enjoy your new driver! Sounds like you made a great choice!

lobshot-i do appreciate your input. it's refreshing to be able to talk golf, and i mean talk golf, b/c frankly, i think my wife gets tired of me talking about it.

Those "Frankly Friends" are WAY different than any of the shoot outs we did. WAY Different. But that is what makes this great, everybody has an opinion. When ranking drivers though, I would like to see what the rankings are based on. How a driver did in distance, accuracy, etc...

Frank Thomas has been at this for a long time and his "frog looking" putter is unique to be sure.

Those "Frankly Friends" are WAY different than any of the shoot outs we did. WAY Different. But that is what makes this great, everybody has an opinion. When ranking drivers though, I would like to see what the rankings are based on. How a driver did in distance, accuracy, etc...

Frank Thomas has been at this for a long time and his "frog looking" putter is unique to be sure.
I would think your methodology is better as Frank just took a survey of golfers and the drivers they are playing. I just thought the OP might like to see what other golfers had to say, anecdotal though the information might be.

I would think your methodology is better as Frank just took a survey of golfers and the drivers they are playing. I just thought the OP might like to see what other golfers had to say, anecdotal though the information might be.

I absolutely agree. More info the better. I like Frank, I would just like to see more info given.

I think the survey findings presented are meaningless. For the most used brands - it doesn't say how many are using each brand. On the highest rated brands, it doesn't tell you the mean rating so you don't know the difference in the satisfaction between #1 and #2, etc. Also the last chart on best driver is based on two ratings - satisfaction and which one they would recommend. I'm curious how they weighted the responses.

I would agree with Diane's comments for sure. At least it's just more information, no matter how "lacking" it may be. I'm with JB though, that's what makes this site so much fun, someone has some bit of information that i normally would never see. I'm lovin' it!

Back