Nasty Old Lady Today

Osahar

Working on the swing
Reaction score
All year I've been fortunate enough to not run into anyone that I would call unpleasant on the courses since starting to play again this year. Today changed that...

Went to play at a new course for me - Royal Oak Resort & Golf Club in Titusville, FL. They sent me out as a single, no waiting. I was playing pretty good today, and as I caught up to the 3-4 person groups ahead they all were offering to let me play through which was great. Finished #13 and a 4some - looked like husbands & wives in their 60-70's - were on the #14 tee box. The two gentlemen (each in their personal carts) offered to let me play through. I mentioned that coming around it looked like it was solid 4somes ahead, but they insisted. So, hit my drive, went up and chipped on and putted out, thanking everyone along the way. The wives were sharing a 3rd cart - they seemed to play as hit the ball, hop in the cart fast to chase it down, rinse, repeat.

I tee off on #15, hit my 2nd shot into the trap behind the green, blast one out and managed a 5, but then run into the next 4-some that are teeing off on #16 as I am putting out. So I get to the next box and wait patiently as they chase down their shots and over the hill they go out of site. Since they didn't seem to hit the ball far, I gave them extra time as I didn't want to launch a drive over the hill and hit someone. Finally hit my driver as the group behind me is putting. Shanked it short and left, so head off to track it down.

As I'm looking for the ball - maybe 2-3 minutes tops - the older of the two ladies drives up and announces that they've waited far too long on me and now I must return to the tee box and get behind them. I reminded her that I had to wait on the 4some ahead of me before playing, but she doesn't care and drives back to the ladies tee. I shrug it off, decide it's a lost ball so I drop one and hit my 3 wood (it's a par 5). This nasty old bitty, as I'm setting up to hit, tees up her ball about 40 yards behind me at the women's tee and as I'm putting away my 3 wood lets fly.

I did not do what I was tempted to (fire her ball back at them when I reach it) and instead just proceed with my round but can hear her complaining as I hit my next shot. They never got close to catching me, of course, and had clear sailing the rest of their round.

After I finished I realized I'd left my 60* somewhere around #12-13, so drive back to the #18 tees and catch the group that was behind the nasty old lady. While they waited for that group to putt out on #18, they mentioned that she's known to act like she owns the place (as she's a member) and will call the Ranger when someone doesn't give her her way.

WTF?!?! :confused2::confused2::confused2:

The old bitty must make the rounds, almost same thing happened to me when an attorney friend from up north came down for a golf visit. When the old bird came by to abuse my friend, he just F-bombed her, that ended the arguement right away. :banana::banana::alien2:

There are a couple of old Gals at Desert Rose that are like that. I have run into them a couple of times while walking my early morning rounds. The husbands/boy friends/companions (what ever) will wave me through. The women don't like it for what ever reason, and have said some stuff to me, as I pass by. My response is always "nice morning isn't it". I have thought a few times to ask how they are able to keep that much make up on their face all at one time, but I let my imagination run wild on that one thought. They have hit balls while I was with in their range that have gone past me. The only thing I do about it is if given the chance I might ask one of their male companions if he has to put of with this kind of stuff at home, and if so "why?" We have a laugh at the ladies expense, and go on about our own business. I am much more tolerant of these of women on the golf course, and actually feel sorry for their male companions.

Carp! I thought this was a thread about somebody here! hehehe

I'm not condoning their behavior, but I understand it to some degree. It's not always being a woman on the course. You have to remember that years ago, women weren't allowed on the course at certain times, couldn't be a member of a club - they were the spouse and weren't allowed in the 19th hole. Even today, some men would prefer that women not be on the course when they are. These women are certainly lumping all men together, which isn't fair, but my guess is that they feel somewhat put upon and are trying to make sure no one takes advantage of them. Or they could just be a bit bitchy - I don't know.

I'm not condoning their behavior, but I understand it to some degree. It's not always being a woman on the course. You have to remember that years ago, women weren't allowed on the course at certain times, couldn't be a member of a club - they were the spouse and weren't allowed in the 19th hole. Even today, some men would prefer that women not be on the course when they are. These women are certainly lumping all men together, which isn't fair, but my guess is that they feel somewhat put upon and are trying to make sure no one takes advantage of them. Or they could just be a bit bitchy - I don't know.

That would be my guess.

That would be my guess too. In this case I don't think it has anything to do with gender I think she is just a bitter old lady. I think the same thing would have happened with a bitter old man, IMO gender plays no role here.

I cannot comprehend how anybody male or female can think this behavior has anything to do with women's rights in the past, etc...

If this thread was about a man being a jerk, the excuse would not be there. This is someone just being a complete jerk plain and simple and thinking that because they are a member they own the course. This has NOTHING to do with gender or womens rights.

I cannot comprehend how anybody male or female can think this behavior has anything to do with women's rights in the past, etc...

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Nor does your extreme reasoning of this. We all get your thoughts on these matters. People that use excuses of up to 5 decades ago as a reasoning to be unpleasant do less to help any sector in society. It is used by a crutch of the weak and people that condone it are just used to playing the victim card.

Nor does your extreme reasoning of this. We all get your thoughts on these matters. People that use excuses of up to 5 decades ago as a reasoning to be unpleasant do less to help any sector in society. It is used by a crutch of the weak and people that condone it are just used to playing the victim card.

Josh - I gave an opinion pure and simple. Read into it what you will and feel free to continue to insult me.

Josh - I gave an opinion pure and simple. Read into it what you will and feel free to continue to insult me.

Im confused, you can give an opinion, but I cannot? And your last post on the matter was not an opinion but a dig at me.
:confused2:

I don't know, when I worked at a CC that was strictly private and very "old money", some of the women there were completely unbearable and felt overly entitled to everything. But the thing is at the club, women weren't allowed to be members there and they seemed to have something to prove none-the-less. They also had "Ladies Day" on Tuesday and those women would come in on Tuesday like they owned the place. I ended up switching my day off to Tuesday because those women would come in and be unbearable towards the staff.

Im confused, you can give an opinion, but I cannot? And your last post on the matter was not an opinion but a dig at me.
:confused2:

I'm sorry - you're right, it was a dig. I apologize.

The lady just sounds mean. Group hug? :bicker:

I had something like this happen to me last summer. I was playing as a single and walking and it is normal for golfers to make the turn and if no one is there then go ahead and play. Finally I was going to get a head of the group of 3 women who I had been bumping into all afternoon, waiting patiently while they spent at least 2 or 3 minutes looking around the tee box for the tee they just hit off, not sure why but there they were, sometimes all 3 looking for it. Anyway I make the turn and no one is there on 10 and no one is in the fairway and there are no other players in sight, I am guessing they were done. I tee off and I am walking down the fairway to my ball when I hear this women hollering at me from the 10th tee box that I am out of line and to get back out of the way because they are going to hit. I am about half way to my tee shot in the middle of the fairway at about 290 from the tee so I just keep going. I hear them hollering and cussing behind me and I manage to ignore them and hit my second shot onto the green. I am walking up to the green when a ball comes whistling past my head and hits about 10 yards in front of me, these idiots are hitting into me like I am not even there! I turn around at that point and tell them to stop hitting into me, and tell them if they have a problem to go get a marshal because I know I have done nothing wrong. Anyway they didn't even finish that hole, while I am putting they drive up and pickup their 3 balls scattered around the green, none on it, and head for the next tee box. I tell them loudly that they are out of line and that they are completely wrong to be hitting into me that way, that is assault by the way to intentionally hit a golf ball into someone, anyway I play the next two holes bumping into them again, waiting for them to look all around the tee box for their precious gold plated tees. I told the marshal what happened and he went up and talked to them and they lied to him, they said that I cut in front of them, even though they were nowhere to be seen when I teed off. They said they were right there and I just bullied my way past them and ignored them waiting at the tee.

I had a group of two older couples two groups in front of me. They let that twosome through on #3, so now my buddy and I were directly behind them. We relaxed and slowed to their pace, but still caught up with them again on #5 tee box. They were about 150 ahead of us in the fairway. We stood on the tee box talking and waiting, not making any obvious sign we were in a hurry.

Little old lady #1 waves us through and she and her husband pull into the woods opposite the cart path. Little old lady #2 and her husband pull into the woods near the cart path. We hit down the fairway and drive down the cart path. As we pass #2, we both say "Thanks" and go on down to our balls.

#1 and hubby come driving down to us and proceed to chew me out for:

Not playing as a foursome? I told her that it was a weekday afternoon and I just couldn't always arrange for 3 buddies to join me.

For being rude and not thanking them. I explained that we did, but they were across the fairway where they couldn't hear.

For the previous group, who also played as a twosome...why hadn't we just joined them. I explained that we were never given the option, they teed off before we got to the tee and besides, they would have had to let us all through anyway.

She huffed off totally unsatisified, but I got my best chuckle of the day.

Fooldog1 and I were out on a weekend and a guy hit into us twice, once on 17 and one on 18. The one on 18 bounced and hit him in the back. We were in the middle of the fairway and in plain sight. I had my 3 wood in hand and was walking to express delivery it back to him, but Fooldog did not let me (good thing too). We finished the hole and I waited on them to finish to give them a piece of my mind. I will tell you one thing, from 250 yards, this guy did not look that big, but up close and in person, he was huge. Looked like a football player. I asked him about hitting into us and he acted like he did not know he did it. He seemed genuinely worried that he did. I guess he must not have been wearing his glasses or something. I was satisfied with my assumption seeing as how he could have folded me into a pretzel. He ended up being a nice guy.

Had my nasty old couple experience today. We were playing behind two older couples today and it was slow, but it really wasn't them. The course was just backed up. We slowed our pace and enjoyed the leisure. #10 is a 330 yard par 4 that plays slightly uphill until about 100 yards short of the green, where there is a drop off of about 15ft to a flat area leading up to an elevated green. When we got to the tee, they were just short of the drop off, hit their shots and we could see their heads moving around on the green....or so we thought.

I had the honors, so I asked, "Are they on the green?" Guys all said yep, hit away. I hit my career drive and evidently landed it directly beside one of the ladies who was chipping up from the lower area. Everyone else hit and we were all down in the same area.

When we arrived, they were livid. They claimed we had all hit in on them and I had almost hit one of the women. My ball landed in the dead center of the lower area. One of our group tried to explain that we thought they were on the green. It wouldn't do. One of the old men called him a dirty name. I couldn't help it, I got tickled, I had to walk away so I didn't laugh right at them.

Evidently they threw my ball way over in the rough because that is where I found it after they left. I mean anyone looking at the circumstances would have realized we didn't hit into them on purpose. It really did look as if they were on the green. We hadn't hit into them on the front where we had plenty of opportunity. Very strange.

Absolutely bizarre how golfers won't put up with getting hit into when they get older!

Absolutely bizarre how golfers won't put up with getting hit into when they get older!

Perhaps they are once bitten, twice shy. I've been "bitten" three times so I know I'm much more "shy" at this point.

The first time is an accident and can and should be overlooked, doing it twice is an aggressive move that should be dealt with by reporting it and by making sure the party behind knows you are reporting it. My rule is that if I can hear your ball hit the ground behind me then you are hitting too close to me. I don't hear all that well so that is close. Also I am just big enough that most people think twice about taking it any further than just mouthing off. It is too bad but there is always going to be that element that has to go faster and pass everyone in front of them whether they are playing golf or driving on the freeway.

My new 2010 season rule when someone hits close to me will be to just to pick up their ball. I will give it back, if they ask politely, as I let them play through. :thumb:

My new 2010 season rule when someone hits close to me will be to just to pick up their ball. I will give it back, if they ask politely, as I let them play through. :thumb:

You just gave me an idea if it happens to me. I think I will take my sharpie and draw a big wiener on the ball and then put it back.

Back