I once told my wife to aim at the tree 20 yards away and take her chances. She missed the tree on the right side and hit a great shot.

If there's something on the course I specifically want to miss, I aim directly for it. Always works.

And that is why the safest place on the golf course is standing by the pin when I am hitting my approach shot.

1) my first 9 holes at my old home course years ago I shot 59 on 9 holes (I still have the scorecard)
2) I have taken a 10 on a par 3 in a tournament (simply because I was emberassing myself, and did not want to play that hole anymore)
3) During a tournament where I was in the lead, I took a 12 on the 8th hole, and then a 9 on the 9th hole.

1. I have lost an even dozen balls during a round of golf.
2. Two years later i played the same course with the same ball for the whole round.
3. I always want to play another 9 after I get through playing 18.

If there's something on the course I specifically want to miss, I aim directly for it. Always works.

The 4th hole on the Old Course at my club back home has a bunker slap bang in the middle of the fairway. In the middle of this picture. Several times I have aimed at the bunker thinking I'll probably miss it and be in the fairway. I have determined from this that a specific target like that focuses the mind and I hit it with unnerving accuracy. Of course, if I aim to the side of it, I still generally hit it in there. Or the heather, which is worse.

Looks like a pothole, too!

Looks like a pothole, too!

Yeah. It's a tough hole. That's about 180 yards to the green and it's deep enough that your third shot will be from about 160. Not ideal. Tough green too.

(I don't dwell on the "boneheaded" stuff)

I like your way of thinking JP.

JP and Ty are right so I've been trying to come up with 3 good things. I know you guys won't be impressed, but they're good for me.
  1. My best score is a 106.
  2. I am ecstatic if I get through a round without losing a single ball.
  3. I am happier when I have a good chip than any other shot - I think it's because it lands close to the hole.

1) I've shot a 104 and a 74 on successive Saturdays in the Club Championship (4 round stroke play).

2) I've birdied every hole on my home course, and eagled all 4 par 5's, 2 par 3's and one par 4.

3) I used to arrive at the course at 3:00 AM on alternate weekends (trading every other week with my buddy) to start the waiting list for walk-on tee times that day. Back then it was nearly impossible to get through on the call-in system for reservations and since the course left every 4th time open for walk-ons, that was the only way we could get on for 18 holes together. We often played 36 holes in those days with lunch in between rounds.

1. I have fractured a hand punching a golf cart after dumping 2 in the water during a team scramble. I then proceeded to shoot what would have been around a +4 the remaining 12 holes,,,
  2. 1 bad hole is usually followed by another
  3. I lost 12 balls on the RTJ Fighting Joe Links Course in Alabama....on the front 9..

I put 3 balls into the same yard yesterday! If I tried to do it on purpose, it would never happen again.

My best round is +1 (73). I've shot that twice, once in Hawaii and once in Arizona.

I have 2 eagles, one on a par 5 at my home course and one on a short par 4 in Hawaii.

My longest drive ever is 314 yards.

1. My lowest round ever is 73 (2 over).

2. I have had 8 eagles, 3 on par 4's.

3. I hit almost 80% of fairways in regulation.

Back