C-Tech

Reaction score
Handicap
I just saw that the Tucson City Senior Amateur is going to be held over two days in late November. I played in the City Open Championships for the first time this year and had a blast. I practiced leading up to it and placed 2nd in my flight winning back my entry fee and about $100 extra.

Right now, I am playing awful (upper 80's with an occasional flash of 80). I shot 4 rounds of 80/82/80/82 during the City Open, but doubt I can get back to that form in time.

I am debating whether or not to go for it. I'd hate to end up looking like a dufus and posting high scores, but I also had a good time and played well during the last one. Can't decide what to do.

If you had a good time at your last tournament, then you go to this tournament, even if you should play poorly. The other side of the coin is if you are worried about playing poorly, and not having fun, then you should not attend.
I just saw that the Tucson City Senior Amateur is going to be held over two days in late November. I played in the City Open Championships for the first time this year and had a blast. I practiced leading up to it and placed 2nd in my flight winning back my entry fee and about $100 extra.

Right now, I am playing awful (upper 80's with an occasional flash of 80). I shot 4 rounds of 80/82/80/82 during the City Open, but doubt I can get back to that form in time.

I am debating whether or not to go for it. I'd hate to end up looking like a dufus and posting high scores, but I also had a good time and played well during the last one. Can't decide what to do.

If you had fun last time, I would say go for it. In the end, this sport/hobby we all love is about fun.

It sounds like our game is very similar C Tech. I can shoot low 80 rounds consistently then the high 80's or low 90's will creep in once in a while. I just try to play through it and when the round is over see where I'm failing. Yesterday it was around the green plain and simple. I shot a 89 with 1 penalty stroke for going in a hazard. That is unexcusable and I know I can play better than that. The thing that surprises me is how badly I chipped and pitched the ball around the green leaving myself 10 footers instead of 3 or 4 footers for par. You have to fix the part of your game that is hurting your scoring and play smarter to enjoy playing in tournaments. So if you can find those weaknesses and work on them I say go for it, because I know you want to perform up to par.

Alway's worth while, you just never know about competition. Two of my sub 80 rounds this year have been in tournaments, 77 & 78. I won one and 2nd in the other, (tough course and lucky for me no great players, lol).

The next day after the 77 I shot 88. That's how my game seem's to go sometimes.

edit: sub 80!

Last edited:
I posted some of the highest scores in the SNGA history I believe the tournament before last I played in. No biggie, I learned a lot that day about myself, unfortunately I wished I had learned it somewhere else and not in front of all those people. I came back the next tournament and posted scores 20 shots lower each day, but still above where I should be. The last tournament of the year is in a couple weeks and I will be out there again. Hopefully I am playing to my potential, so I have a shot at winning. The 1st tournaments didn't really count as the 1st one I only got 50% of my handicap and the 2nd tournament I got 75% of my handicap, this will be the 1st tournament where I will get 100% of my handicap and then it's just a matter of playing to my potential for 2 days.

So I say go for it. But if you know you will not enjoy it unless you are at 100% of your potential, then maybe not.

Maybe you'll have better luck playing with the "seniors." :laughing:

Seriously though - go play and have fun. You enjoyed the other one so I'm sure this will be fun too.

Maybe you'll have better luck playing with the "seniors." :laughing:

Seriously though - go play and have fun. You enjoyed the other one so I'm sure this will be fun too.

You might want to keep in mind that you are moving inexorably towards that same "Senior" designation yourself. :D

You might want to keep in mind that you are moving inexorably towards that same "Senior" designation yourself. :D

At my father's club, they call themselves the "Swingers" - that always cracks me up.

At my father's club, they call themselves the "Swingers" - that always cracks me up.

Now THAT is a visual I could have done without.
:hypnotized::rofl:

Now THAT is a visual I could have done without.
:hypnotized::rofl:

Because you know it's not the cool Vegas Swingers you're thinking of from the Vince Vaughn movie... :bulgy-eyes:

"Of all the words of tongue or pen, the saddest are: 'It might have been'"

Now go sign up for the tournament. :thumb:

-JP

I say do it! The competition may bring out the low numbers in you. At the very least have a blast trying!

Definitely play, it sure sounds like you want to from your comments. I have a question, however. There's prize money in amateur tournaments?

Kevin

Definitely play, it sure sounds like you want to from your comments. I have a question, however. There's prize money in amateur tournaments?

Kevin

Yep. It cannot exceed $500 so I can retain my amateur status (unless the rules have changed). I won $225 for my last outing.

Yep. It cannot exceed $500 so I can retain my amateur status (unless the rules have changed). I won $225 for my last outing.
That's great, C-Tech. Sounds like it would be fun to try and win some more money. :)

That's great, C-Tech. Sounds like it would be fun to try and win some more money. :)

I had a pretty good year so far. I am pretty close to the $500 limit if that is where is still is. I might have to turn down the prize money if I do well in the Sr Am.:D

I had a pretty good year so far. I am pretty close to the $500 limit if that is where is still is. I might have to turn down the prize money if I do well in the Sr Am.:D
Just turn professional. Think about it: you'll get a large endorsement/equipment contract and thousands of fans.

Just turn professional. Think about it: you'll get a large endorsement/equipment contract and thousands of fans.

I like the way you think....wish I could make it happen. Of course, I would be stuck going to those 2 hour dinners with the sponsors, so the millions might not be worth that. :laughing:

I think it is either $500 or $750 per event here, not total.

I like the way you think....wish I could make it happen. Of course, I would be stuck going to those 2 hour dinners with the sponsors, so the millions might not be worth that. :laughing:

Doesn't that seem so unfair?

That an otherwise promising future is ruined because one is forced to endure tedious conversation, cigar smoke or Chicken Francaise?

Those inhumane bastards...

-JP

Back