And The Award For Most Creative Goes To . . .

Diane

Reaction score
I always enjoy when people are creative with their excuses - when they go beyond the usual "sun was in my eyes." Yesterday one of my friends told me that a turtle was distracting her. The turtle was behind her so I'm not sure how that could be, but it was still entertaining.

I don't have any excuses for my game............I used them all up many years ago. :banana:

However, the best one I like is the guy who says "I use to be a scratch player. Then I got married, and took up golf".

My excuse on the greens is someone is always in my peripherals. :D

I usually blame it on grip pressure or I try to make a funny comment about something so I don't get to worked up. I really do have a problem choking the club every once in a while. It kills my touch and short game.:banghead:

I am seriously considering numbering mine so it is easier. :D

I mostly play on Sunday. So if I lip out on a long putt I tell everyone it's because I didn't go to church today.

Last edited:
I was visiting a friend in Arizona. We were on the tee box and his brother blamed a bad shot on the guy who started the mower a couple of fairways away (you couldn't see him and he couldn't see us).

That stuff is distracting to me. I tense up when I hear mowers, saws, hammers or pretty much anything making alot of noise. It doesn't take much to make you tense up in your swing and thats why the pro's have people thrown off the course for coughing. I can mess up with any loud noise and I'm quick to point it out. Some people get mad if I do but like I tell them, if you don't like playing with me just hit the road.

The most important thing is not what you use for an excuse, but that you have it all set up before you start the round. You mention that you tweaked your back, or your wrist is sore, or you have a hangnail on your left pinky...etc.

That way you are ready with a built-in excuse for those shots that look like they were hit by PeeWee Herman. :eyepoke:

Well, he didn't just blame the mower guy. He got P-O'd about it and complained about it throughout the hole. It happens. Was he supposed to wait for someone who he couldn't see to hit? It was also one of many excuses during the round. That's the one I remember the most.

Well, he didn't just blame the mower guy. He got P-O'd about it and complained about it throughout the hole. It happens. Was he supposed to wait for someone who he couldn't see to hit? It was also one of many excuses during the round. That's the one I remember the most.

Oh I see. I work really hard not to let stuff carry over. I'm trying to let stuff slide better because the better you get at letting stuff go the faster you will return to focusing on the shot at hand. People who get caught up on something like that can ruin their entire day from one little mishap. From time to time I will blow up after I miss an easy birdie or par and carry it over to the next tee. You have to forget about the last shot as soon as you hit it.

I really don't get into excuses.

I'm sure that over the years there have been some things that were going on around me that may have been distracting and of course there's the spike mark/ball mark thing from time to time.

But the way I see it is that I don't have to do anything until I'm ready and if I decide to "pull the trigger", then I'm doing so while aware of all that is going on around me. So, in the end, the only "excuse" for a poor effort lies with the guy holding the club; which would be me.

-JP

The most important thing is not what you use for an excuse, but that you have it all set up before you start the round. You mention that you tweaked your back, or your wrist is sore, or you have a hangnail on your left pinky...etc.

That way you are ready with a built-in excuse for those shots that look like they were hit by PeeWee Herman. :eyepoke:

That's an excellent strategy :D I just tell everyone I suck at this game. Then when I hit it well and get it up and down they are like...you ain't that bad. By the end of the round they are like...yeah...I see what you mean:laughing:

To answer seriously, I think you are better off not to make any excuse. I played my tee shot just as a maintenance worker (who couldn't see us) started a weedwhacker. I managed to hit the ball, but pulled it a bit off line. I didn't say a word, but the guys I was playing with tried to get me to re-tee with no penalty. I told them that was golf and I might have hit it that bad even without him. To be honest, I don't think that distraction happened soon enough in my downswing for me to have flinched before I got to the ball anyway. Big deal.

I'm an idiot. I blame myself for bad shots. Perhaps too much so.

This suddenly feels like group therapy. Defcon - You're not an idiot.

I'm an idiot. I blame myself for bad shots. Perhaps too much so.

Never, ever take the blame yourself. Haven't you ever noticed the truly great golfers always have an excuse? Look at the old footage, every time they miss a putt, they tamp down a spike mark and look disgusted. I have been practicing that move, but the advent of soft spikes has almost removed that as a valid excuse.

If I play poorly I usually say, "My back was bothering me a little today and I just couldn't get through the ball."

If I play well I usually say, "That wasn't too bad today considering my back was bothering me and I couldn't get through the ball."

Keep it simple I say.

Kevin

Never, ever take the blame yourself. Haven't you ever noticed the truly great golfers always have an excuse? Look at the old footage, every time they miss a putt, they tamp down a spike mark and look disgusted. I have been practicing that move, but the advent of soft spikes has almost removed that as a valid excuse.
I'm sorry to hear that C-Tech. You should play at my home course where some of the greens looked like the Patriots scrimmaged on them. :)

Thanks, Diane. Perhaps I should find find some "outside" factors to consider when I make a poor shot. :)

Or you could just put it out of your mind and move on to the next shot.

I get the distinct feeling that this is headed for Oprah.

-JP

I get the distinct feeling that this is headed for Oprah.

-JP

it would make for a good show I do believe. :popcorn: "On today's show we are going to look at people and their ability to blame poor golfing on inanimate objects and nature". I would SO watch that episode because I sometimes when I suck I just like to say "I should have stayed in bed".

Back