Golf Store Fitting - Your Experience

cwill

Reaction score
Handicap
I think it is time for me to step up and finally get some new irons, including proper fitting. I've been playing a set of TM 360 irons now for about 5 years that I had bought from a buddy when he got new sticks. I'm interested to hear anyone's experience with some of the golf stores out there - here in Omaha we have Austad's Golf, Golf Galaxy, Golf ETC, and Golf USA among others I believe. Overall experience? staff knowledge? meet your expectations? clubs perform as desired? have you returned for additional club fittings? Or should I try to find a local course club pro that does fitting? Basically any and all of your thoughts are welcome.

*I apologize if a similar thread has been posted in the past. I did a forum search and didn't find anything.

It's a hit and miss on where you go.You need to visit each place and talk to the folks there and see who seems to be the most knowledgeable.I understand you might not know what to look for,but you can tell if someone really knows their stuff or is just blowing smoke.

GG posted a great deal from TaylorMade Performance Labs a few weeks ago. If you contact them in October you get a coupon for half off what I think would be the best possible fitting out there. (I don't know how to post the link, lol). It would mean a trip to one of their labs, but they really give you the info needed.

TM Performance Labs Discount

I think the coupon is good for a year, but has to be purchased this month.

You got that right. TMPL is giving away 50% for the month. Yet you can buy a fitting in a certificate for half price and use it anytime during the calendar year. A truly exceptional deal.

I always get a second opinion when I get fitting updates. Last time I was fitted, I received specs from a Callaway, Ping, and independent pro fitters. They all spec'd out the same numbers for me, so I pretty well knew what I needed when I ordered my new irons. When I did order my clubs, I only ordered a 6i to start with. After playing that club in real golf situations for a few rounds, I knew the spec'd numbers were right, and I ordered the rest of the set per those specs. Of course this was something I set up with my vendor, who had no problem selling one club to try out, then selling me the complete set, less the price of the 6 iron. :clapp:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll take a look at those Performance Lab reviews.

Keep in mind, you can take the new spec's you get to any club you like. If I understand it right, they will give you a very extensive fitting along with a small amount of swing training or lesson's and then suggest something from their line. Then you can pick that or something similar to it in another line if need be.

I really want the new R9 TP's, but the new Clevelands are calling my name as well, lol. I'll be trying both soon. Good luck!

I've never been fitted - ever.

It's not that I have anything against fitting, but I think I know my swing and my tendencies better than anyone else could and unlike most people, I don't mind experimenting and even turning down a few dead ends in the process. I build my own clubs, so I buy what I think I need and the closest I've ever come to being fitted was to have a club guy at Golfsmith check me out with a lie board and watch me hit a few balls to double check my shaft choices.

The guy I dealt with told me he was a Tour Van guy for long time and I believed him because he sure as hell didn't look happy and he definitely gave me the impression that he was "slumming it" at Golfsmith. When I first met him, I asked if he had the heads I was looking for (Snake Eyes 600B's) in stock and when I asked for X-100 shafts, he gave me "the look" (the one where they think you're overreaching and have no idea what you're talking about).

But we started talking about stuff and soon we began to speak some serious "golf" and after about a half-hour trading stories and specs, he realized that I knew what I was doing and knew what I was talking about. So he set me up with a lie board just to check to see if the stock lies were OK and he watched me hit a few full swing shots. In the end, he set me up with everything I needed and even bumped me up one notch on a driver shaft (I wanted an Aldila NV 65X but he suggested a 75X instead - which was a good choice, by the way). He even threw in a driver head that I liked but didn't have the cash for at the time and he even went with me to the cashier to make sure there were no *ahem* "issues" with that.

He was a cool guy and I trusted him because we "clicked" and we spoke the same language when it came to golf. My choices were right on the money and as expected, so was his choice of driver shaft - although I've recently drifted away from the Aldila shafts altogether in favor of UST V2's.
I guess the reason why we hit it off and he took the time that he did with me (all free of charge) was because I think he was bored to tears dealing with one guy after another who basically couldn't hit a cow in the ass with a banjo but just had to have whatever gear some pro was using regardless of the fact that he had no game to go with it. I think he was grateful that someone came along who really knew how to play and who knew his way around specs and such and I think it was fun for him to get to strut his stuff and know that he was being understood.

I found out that he quit a few weeks after I bought my stuff and I wasn't surprised in the least. If ever someone seemed like a fish out of water, it was that guy - he needed to be around golfers, not hackers. I hope he's worked his way back to the Tour Vans because I cannot envision him being happy in any retail golf shop. But I was glad he happened to be where he was that day.

-JP

My personal opinion is to go to a club pro that has a wide array of demo clubs (if available). If you are able to make good contact most of the time you are better off being outside and seeing what is happening. Getting the proper length and lie is pretty easy, but the shaft would be the hardest thing to do hitting into a net. Personally, I want to see the ball flight of a shot when I know I hit it well. I can't get that hitting it 10 feet. The computer numbers and models and suggestions can be nice to have, but I prefer to use my own judgment and see what happens with each shot. The last time I got clubs it took about 30 minutes to figure out that I was standard lie and length. It then took me 5-6 trips to the range over the course of 3 or 4 months with different shafts to find out which one worked the best for me. It might not take that long for everyone. I had the time until I had the money so I wanted to get it right.

The TM performance lab is probably a great option but they don't seem to cater to those of us in the Midwest. If you can't afford to travel I would try and find a reputable club pro in the area and work with him in an outdoor environment.

The TM performance lab is probably a great option but they don't seem to cater to those of us in the Midwest. If you can't afford to travel I would try and find a reputable club pro in the area and work with him in an outdoor environment.

It looks like Chicago would be the closest location to us. The TM Performance Lab definitely looks to be a great opportunity, but based on my current level, and the extra cost (of fitting and travel), I think I'm going to explore a fitting locally by a club pro or one of the stores.

Went to the local Golf Galaxy today. Since I'm basically working to replace my whole bag, I went in thinking I would just see if they had any deals for some of the clubs that interest me after reading the reviews and forums here at THP. I checked out the irons section, and see that the MX-200's are marked down to $399. Haven't seen them that low anywhere else yet. Took some swings with those, as well as several others - Callaway X-22, X-20, X-18, Mizuno MX-100, MX-1000, Nike Slingshot HL, Cleveland Launcher, and Cobra SZ. To tell you the truth they all felt pretty good. It truly is hard to tell when hitting in a simulator versus the range. Since I didn't notice any appreciable difference between the clubs, I think I'm going to go with the MX-200's since the price is extremely reasonable. The fitter wasn't sure if Mizuno would still customize them, as he said once they get marked down as a discontinued model they generally don't customize them any longer. They are going to call Mizuno on Monday to see if they can still be customized to my specs. If so, I'm going to get them. If not, it may be back to the drawing board.

Back