Lost Swing: Don't Know What to Do.

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I lost my swing yesterday. I mean really lost it. After playing so well it's like I took a gigantic step backward. I went to the range today to see if I could reclaim that lost magic and it was even worse.

I'm not sure what to do, I only know I am very frustrated and actually afraid to go back out on the golf course (yes, it was that bad). Has this happened to any of you folks? If so, what did you do?

Thanks for your time. :)

Yes it has happened to me several times over the summer. The first thing I did was scheduled me a lesson. The problem is probably associated with trying to make too many changes to your swing all at once. Information overload. The key thing you need to do is make your swing more simple and stop having so many thoughts that are causing you to totally lose your feel and swing. I would highly recommend going to see a professional and let him work with you, that's what I always do when things just get really bad. This year I played great for a few months then started spraying the ball like crazy, no matter what I did I couldn't stop and even started shanking the ball some. I got a lesson and the only change I had to make was lessen my backswing. I was getting my right elbow stuck behind my shoulder turn and it was killing my consistency.

Just go back and try again. What do you have to lose and you have much to gain. Stop being afraid. DefCon - I say this kindly - you need to relax and learn to laugh. I promise that you'll have more fun if you do.

Call the pro shop, maybe someone found your swing and turned it in.

Seriously, just go back to the basics.

Whenever I lose my touch or feel or if I think my mechanics are "off", I personally prefer "Half-swing Drills". At the range, I set up as I normally do, take the club back to about 3 o'clock (9 o'clock if you're visualizing it from the other side) and then I stop.

From that stopped position, I try to hit the ball as solidly and with as much "punch" as I can. This gets all of the important muscles related to a good golf swing working in the proper order and sequence and all of the weight-shifting falls back into place. Once I've struck a few solid shots like that, I gradually lengthen my backswing until I'm making my normal swing again.

I think of it as a sort of "reboot" and it works every time.

The reason it works is because from that stopped, halfway position, instinct takes over and my body does what needs to do in order to strike the ball solidly and this drill serves to remind my body of the correct way as opposed whatever incorrect way I'm now doing things. From that position and with such a short distance in which to strike the ball, there's no time to introduce silly "extras" or other "junk science" I may have picked up from somewhere - basically, there's no time to "think" (which is what causes most problems to begin with).

-JP

P.S. This works with putting too.

I had the same thing just happen! My lost swing was the result of injuries I think and having to compensate to even play the game. by doing that I let all the bad habits creep back into my swing. I had finally gotten the slice out of my drives and was hitting the ball straight to a slight draw, but over the last month or so I had a wicked slice back. Anyways I went back to my instructor yesterday for a lesson and within 2 practice swings he pointed out everything that was wrong. I am fairly tall at 6-4 and slouch a little and with working at a desk 8 hrs a day some days it adds to it. So my golf swing had gone from a straight back to me being hunched over again engaging my shoulders. I lost all my distance with my clubs and couldn't figure out why. After a 1hr lesson yesterday, I am at least back on track again. Something so simple can play havoc on your game. My setup is usually spot on, but that back can kill me.

When that happens to me, (and it does happen to everyone at one time or another) depending on the severity, I just take a few days/weeks off, a way from the game. Gives me time to let everything settle down, an to let my golf swing get mentally, and physically rested. With out fail, given enough R&R, my swing returns, and I play well till it happens again. It's best to know when your swing is beginning to start being challenged before it goes completely down the toilet. The longer you play golf below your ability, the longer your decent swing will take to return.

I second pretty much what everyone else has said. I tend to get into fits with my swing where my shoulders overtake everything which throws my timing off, usually resulting in a case of the dreadful shanks. If it happens on the range, I'll just stop, and come back again in a few days when the frustration has subsided. I'll then work on simple swing drills, doing half swings, feet together, back leg back type drills. If after all of that, I'm still fighting swing troubles, I'll schedule a lesson to refresh my swing and confidence.

When I start to struggle I'll joke around and imitate someone else's swing or try to hit crazy shots... It helps me turn golf back into a game and not to take the results so seriously. And I'm sure I'm concentrating a little more when I am trying to do something out of the ordinary. After a little "goofing around" I can USUALLY go back to my normal swing and be OK.

I go to the range and work it out. If you swing good one day and not another then you need to find out why. Working it out and learning to identify the problem will get you to a point where you can fix it in a round. This is me anyway. I've never had taking a break fix it for me yet. But that's just me...

Thank you all for you great suggestions. I just need to stick with it, be patient, relax, and learn to laugh.

Defcon1 - There is nothing worste then standing over the ball and not having a clue where it's going to end up. I've 'lost' my swing in the middle of a round this year and it is a bear to get back. What I do is to take my "goto club" and swing at 75%...

Defcon1 - There is nothing worste then standing over the ball and not having a clue where it's going to end up. I've 'lost' my swing in the middle of a round this year and it is a bear to get back. What I do is to take my "goto club" and swing at 75%...
I stood over a ball today and was just frozen. I had no idea what to do. I'm okay on the back swing, it's the down swing that has me bamboozled.

JPStuff gave you excellent advice. Drills like he suggested can quickly get back the feel of striking the ball. When my daughter loses her swing, we do the 3:00 to 9:00 drill and this gets the feel back. I also have her step back from hitting balls and work on her short game. I have her hit short chips and flops, low half wedges, etc. I have her do this because I believe hitting "feel" shots makes her comfortable with a club in her hands. Another thing I have her do on the range is goof around a little bit. By trying to hit the ball with a funny swing she relaxes. I've had her hit drives like Happy Gilmore just to take her mind off current swing problems. She's been struggling lately, and I had her do a few of those things today, and by the time we left the range we had her swing back on plane and she hit some real nice shots.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your posts suggest to me that you are really pressing. You worry about what yardage you play from, you worry about your distance. Go to the range and relax and goof around, or hit shots you really like to hit, or go out on the course and play a couple balls at once. Try to hit some different types of shots, mess around, and have some fun. Hell, if you drink, have a couple beers, that might help, too.

If you don't drink, ignore that last suggestion.

Kevin

I have been in the same boat as you since I started golfing. 9 years ago. I couldnt hit a shot, putt or do anything. I 'd get it all down for a few rounds, then lose everything again. I let my head get to involved, and stopped having fun, and just hitting. It got so bad I gave the game up after my first year playing.

A LOT of great advice has been given on this forum, and this thread alone. I JUST started golfing again after a 8 year withdrawl. My game wasn't great or even good, but I was having fun, and thats what mattered. Through the advice on this forum, I learned alot about how to calm down and get my head outta 'think mechanics' mode and just to hit.

Today I hit my best round ever, my shots were just ON. I was used to hitting certain clubs from certain distances and was over clubbing everything cuz my ball just FLEW! Do I expect my swing to stay this way? No, I'll have off days, and lose everything again. But, as long as I am having fun, I am going to keep golfing.

Think of those 'best shots you've ever hit', you hit them once, and while you may be struggling now, you definately have it in you to hit them again, if not surpass them to new 'best shots'. Stick w/ it! It'll come back. and if need be, take a few days off to clear your mind.

-Dustin

JPStuff gave you excellent advice. Drills like he suggested can quickly get back the feel of striking the ball. When my daughter loses her swing, we do the 3:00 to 9:00 drill and this gets the feel back. I also have her step back from hitting balls and work on her short game. I have her hit short chips and flops, low half wedges, etc. I have her do this because I believe hitting "feel" shots makes her comfortable with a club in her hands. Another thing I have her do on the range is goof around a little bit. By trying to hit the ball with a funny swing she relaxes. I've had her hit drives like Happy Gilmore just to take her mind off current swing problems. She's been struggling lately, and I had her do a few of those things today, and by the time we left the range we had her swing back on plane and she hit some real nice shots.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your posts suggest to me that you are really pressing. You worry about what yardage you play from, you worry about your distance. Go to the range and relax and goof around, or hit shots you really like to hit, or go out on the course and play a couple balls at once. Try to hit some different types of shots, mess around, and have some fun. Hell, if you drink, have a couple beers, that might help, too.

If you don't drink, ignore that last suggestion.Kevin
I'll go back to the 9/3 as that seems to work for a while. And yes I am pressing. I'd like to swing and play "thoughtlessly". :)

I have been in the same boat as you since I started golfing. 9 years ago. I couldnt hit a shot, putt or do anything. I 'd get it all down for a few rounds, then lose everything again. I let my head get to involved, and stopped having fun, and just hitting. It got so bad I gave the game up after my first year playing.

A LOT of great advice has been given on this forum, and this thread alone. I JUST started golfing again after a 8 year withdrawl. My game wasn't great or even good, but I was having fun, and thats what mattered. Through the advice on this forum, I learned alot about how to calm down and get my head outta 'think mechanics' mode and just to hit.

Today I hit my best round ever, my shots were just ON. I was used to hitting certain clubs from certain distances and was over clubbing everything cuz my ball just FLEW! Do I expect my swing to stay this way? No, I'll have off days, and lose everything again. But, as long as I am having fun, I am going to keep golfing.

Think of those 'best shots you've ever hit', you hit them once, and while you may be struggling now, you definately have it in you to hit them again, if not surpass them to new 'best shots'. Stick w/ it! It'll come back. and if need be, take a few days off to clear your mind.

-Dustin
I guess that is why I get frustrated b/c I've hit a lot of quality shots and feel I should be doing a lot better than I am, given the amount of practice and lessons I've taken.

Try forgetting the distance of the shot. Choose the best club you have for the shot and then think only about making a good shot...not a long shot. Even if you don't have a club to get there a good shot will consistently leave you better off than a forced shot that goes bad. Here's the problem with that...it's way easier to say that then it is to do it.:D The distance messes me up all the time. the game is sick you know...:D

I guess that is why I get frustrated b/c I've hit a lot of quality shots and feel I should be doing a lot better than I am, given the amount of practice and lessons I've taken.

hang in there. You will get better. That's how it's done. Golf ain't easy...

hang in there. You will get better. That's how it's done. Golf ain't easy...
G-O-L-F is a tiny four letter word that cannot be described adequately by all the words in the English language. :)

G-O-L-F is a tiny four letter word that cannot be described adequately by all the words in the English language. :)

Yeah, but when you spell it backwards it all begins to make sense (albeit in a masochistic sort of way).

-JP

Yeah, but when you spell it backwards it all begins to make sense (albeit in a masochistic sort of way).

-JP

I've never heard that before JP, but you're right - it does describe golf and what it does to us!

the most successful technique that i have used would be just going to the driving range. get a bucket of balls and some patience. start with easy (50-70%) swings and slowly work back to full swings as you get back into the groove.

Try forgetting the distance of the shot. Choose the best club you have for the shot and then think only about making a good shot...not a long shot. Even if you don't have a club to get there a good shot will consistently leave you better off than a forced shot that goes bad. Here's the problem with that...it's way easier to say that then it is to do it.:D The distance messes me up all the time. the game is sick you know...:D
That's excellent advice!...but I too have trouble following it. :)

the most successful technique that i have used would be just going to the driving range. get a bucket of balls and some patience. start with easy (50-70%) swings and slowly work back to full swings as you get back into the groove.
I did that today and felt it coming back. I was taking the club too far inside and getting stuck.

Back