A Golf Skirt By Any Other Name

Wow Harry - I suddenly can't get Carly Simon out of my head. Nice job. :banghead:

Uhhh, okay. Not sure how that's my fault.

No, Blue Arc . . . You can't be a girl and an athlete at the same time. (At least not without some extensive surgery.) But a girl can be both girlie and an athlete.

:laughing: not exactly what I meant but your point is taken...:laughing:

I didn't know that I always giggle when I hear the word "jorts."

Harry, I always give credit in my posts where credit is due.

So, exactly who were you referring to when you said "it sounds dirty to me, which is why I think some people like it." ?

A guy and one woman that are in my early morning weekend golf group. If I mentioned their names - no one would know who I was talking about.

A guy and one woman that are in my early morning weekend golf group. If I mentioned their names - no one would know who I was talking about.

And they live in the Niagara Falls area?

And they live in the Niagara Falls area?

Huh? :confused2:

The only skort I have that could remotely be thought of as dirty is sort of pleated. I suppose you could think Catholic schoolgirl in a really short skirt. Mostly, it feels like too much fabric, so I almost never wear it.

Diane,
I am still trying to figure out what you call skorts that are not made for golf? If golf skorts are too be called golf skirts instead, what are the others called? This was your topic, I assumed you had an answer.

Diane,
I am still trying to figure out what you call skorts that are not made for golf? If golf skorts are too be called golf skirts instead, what are the others called? This was your topic, I assumed you had an answer.

Culottes.

Do you really think culottes and skorts are the same? Historically they are sort of.

Culottes by definition in French describes womens underwear.
Im going off memory here but historically female equestrians wore longer split skirts that they called culottes and that is where the change took place.

however almost 2 decades ago designers decided to not use the term culottes due to the French meaning and go with skorts.

My question is if you hate the term skorts and want them called golf skirts, then why not just call them all culottes if you prefer that term. Why have a separate term for the same apparel for golf and something else?

My question is if you hate the term skorts and want them called golf skirts, then why not just call them all culottes if you prefer that term. Why have a separate term for the same apparel for golf and something else?

Habit more than anything - when I was a child - my mother wore golf skirts and they were indeed skirts. I've always called them that even after the shorts were added. So does my mother and so do my friends. I do find the word "skort" to be kind of icky. Aren't there any words you don't like?

Back