Utopia Putter Unboxing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a new company that has entered the marketplace and we are eager to try out this unique putter. It arrived today and here are a few unboxing pictures.

693578014_nUyTZ-L-1.jpg

693578104_sikDJ-L-1.jpg

693577862_KBcCp-L-1.jpg

693577961_wsoHw-L-1.jpg

693578076_mxHv8-L-1.jpg

693577783_aoUYT-L-1.jpg

693577906_kfEVJ-L-1.jpg

693577714_hHNZN-L-1.jpg

Can't say I'm a fan of the look. Going down the pictures, it seemed a pretty plain-jane looking putter, and then there's that odd protrusion on the face.

I hear the protrusion is supposed to be the magical part of the putter. I do not mind plain looking putters if they perform and this is one review I am anticipating.

• Admin
Graz,
You are correct. This putter seems as though the protrusion is to eliminate skid and create topspin. Very similar to what we hear and see about groove putters. We are getting to work on it.

This is definitely an interesting looking putter. I am intrigued to see how it performs. At first glance I feel like that protrusion would distract me.

Innovation is abeautiful thing - I can't wait for the review!

Is the putter 'USGA legal'?

• Admin
Is the putter 'USGA legal'?

According to the company they are in the process of getting it USGA approved and do not believe it will be any issue at all. I am not sure about that as the rules seem to be clear in the aspect of sharp lines and traditional.

But we hope they have it all worked out by the time the review is ready to publish.

I would like to see the review in any case! In fact, I have often wondered how easy the game could be made if all restrictions on clubs were removed!

This putter got quite a bit of testing yesterday and here are the early thoughts.

Looks - Most of the testers really liked the looks from a shape standpoint. However out of the 12 players, all but one did not like the finish. They said it looked "homemade". I was in the minority in that I kind of like the finish of it.

Feel - When well struck this putter has a feel that rivals some of the best out there. Mis-hits still feel like mis-hits which we kind of liked but are still super soft.

Roll - Perfect. Absolutely Perfect roll put on the ball.

Sound - More than 75% of the testers did not like the sound of the ball coming off the edge face. They say it sounded muted and "dark". (im not even sure what that means, but we will follow up of course)

Performance - The Utopia outperformed 9 out of the 12 testers regular putters. Solid performance across the board and people were really getting excited about it.

Misc - All 12 testers asked the same question that has been asked here. Is it USGA legal? Well, we do not know. That is really the million dollar question right now. The company says it is being reviewed and does not see any issues coming up. The people local to hear that are involved in the golf world all thought that despite the rules being a little "hazy" on the subject, this one could be an issue. While some of our readers do not care a whole lot about legal and illegal gear with the USGA, a putter may be different in that aspect.

8 of the 12 early testers felt that the Utopia could help their game enough to purchase one. However not one of them felt as though they would purchase a putter that is not USGA legal because they all keep a handicap.

Time will tell on this one.

interesting. Will love to check out the review.

So the innovation does exactly as they say. That is very cool. I would love to try one of these out. I maybe have to get my hands on one locally to check it out.

It seems to Graz. We will have 12 more people testing it out to get their thoughts as well. hopefully we will have information on whether or not you can use it for your handicap by then.

I am in no way comparing the two, but the Spin Doctor does what it says as well. hehe

To me that protrusion on the face is a good thing. Is it straight across, or a little protuberant in a slightly spherical form? (convexed)

As stated above, "plain Jane" is good, if it works. I would hope that they don't stick a $300 price tag on it. :clapp:

it is more straight across than slightly rounded, but there is a curve to it. The price is $179 for this one.

Would you game a putter that is not USGA legal? This one still could be, but I am curious?

Would you game a putter that is not USGA legal?

No. To me, it's cheating. But I don't really care if other people do. They can use the Hammer, the Spin Doctor, Foo-King-Long, and the Utopia as long as they are having fun and not competing.

Slightly rounded (convexed) would be a good thing from my point of view. If it is not USGA legal I would not give it a second thought. If you can't use something legally, why bother. That said, I too don't think they will have a problem getting it accepted.
it is more straight across than slightly rounded, but there is a curve to it. The price is $179 for this one.

Would you game a putter that is not USGA legal? This one still could be, but I am curious?

If I were not playing any tournaments and only golfed with friends who did the same, I would play the non-conforming stuff as then it is just a game between friends. I used to play a with a illegal bubble shaft driver, that thing was a blast. We also would take out the illegal long distance balls onto the course and blast away, this all when I first golfed years ago in the military. Actually it was more when I drank and the golf course just happened to be where I was drinking. :D

Slightly rounded (convexed) would be a good thing from my point of view. If it is not USGA legal I would not give it a second thought. If you can't use something legally, why bother. That said, I too don't think they will have a problem getting it accepted.

That is where it gets interesting. Most around here feel as though it will not be approved. I am not sure either way. But the rule is a little gray in the area of putter faces or so it seems.

The only problem might be the protrusion part. The convex part is already legal per the USGA.
That is where it gets interesting. Most around here feel as though it will not be approved. I am not sure either way. But the rule is a little gray in the area of putter faces or so it seems.

That is the part I am concerned about.

Is it me or does this putter look unfinished? It has a prototype-look. Are they going to release it in other finishes?

Not sure as of yet. Up close it is definitely finished, but most did not care for the finish.

I know you testers did good job, but I would like to know if any of your testers tried putts with an open, and closed face in addition to square faced putts? If so what were the results of the putt?

Back