What do you do for a living?

Press brake operator for CNH. We build Case IH and New Holland combines. I form/bend the steel

And you've been making a lot, I see them go by every day.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I'm a Medicinal Chemist. Currently working on projects for A.L.S. and heart failure.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Finishing up on a 3X3 video wall this week, had a few issues with IP vs RS232 handshakes and may just go straight 232. Leaving that up to the programmer, but should get resolved rather easily. Our part is done and they are bringing in their IT department to load their apps tomorrow while I'm on the course. The new mounting system makes these a lot easier to get tweaked and up...installed and wired in 1 1/2 days. They will build a surround and their computer will be housed below...touch panel control is off to the left. Electricians were having trouble dropping in some power and left a couple holes after the fact. Customer gets what customer wants.
IMAG1278.jpg

I'll be tranferring within my company next week from program management to technical writing.
It'll be all Air Force stuff for now; Tech Manuals, Training Manuals, Work Cards, Intruction Sets, some graphic stuff with ISODraw, SolidWorks, etc.
No more dealing with a dozen subcontractors dragging their feet. I can just come in, do my work, put out a quality product, and go home at the end of the night and sleep easier.
Hopefully the insomnia subsides.

I need a job/career lost my teaching job and no prospects for next year...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I need a job/career lost my teaching job and no prospects for next year...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Any interest in sales? I could get you in for an interview...

Today is my last day as an intern with the US Department of Labor and Starting a week from Tomorrow I begin my career as a professional services consultant with Cerner Corporation here in KC

Today is my last day as an intern with the US Department of Labor and Starting a week from Tomorrow I begin my career as a professional services consultant with Cerner Corporation here in KC

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD! As they say at least...

I work for the Air Force researching alternative bio/ jet fuel, once I graduate I will be working with medical microbiology

Good luck with the new career! Cerner is a great corporation. I am in Kansas City as well and I am a Senior Finance Planer for Everest College. Basically I am a financial aid officer that helps students with the aforementioned government tuition assistance program.

Good luck with the new career! Cerner is a great corporation. I am in Kansas City as well and I am a Senior Finance Planer for Everest College. Basically I am a financial aid officer that helps students with the aforementioned government tuition assistance program.

Awesome! Welcome to THP! We have a great invitational coming up in Branson in July we would love to have you join us

TH I am glad you have a "real world" job if Cerner every takes you to Columbia let me know we can play some golf. I know they are big with the University of Missouri.

I had an interesting meeting with a friend from church yesterday. He's a senior partner for Thrivent Financial and he wanted to talk to me about coming to work with him as a financial planner. I'd be helping people with investments as well as selling insurance. I'm seriously considering this. I haven't loved the field I'm in (Health care IT) for a long time now and would actually embrace the change.

It can be a very good paying career but he told me straight up that 70% of the people who start are gone doing something else in 5 years time. But he did say that of those 30% who succeed and stay with it make an average of 150k a year. He has one guy working for him who's pulling in over a half mil a year. I know that's a HUGE stretch but even the doctors that I support at our hospital don't make that much, or very few if any!

I've got some friends who do this on the area and would give it to me straight so I'm going to research this more. I'm quite interested.

I had an interesting meeting with a friend from church yesterday. He's a senior partner for Thrivent Financial and he wanted to talk to me about coming to work with him as a financial planner. I'd be helping people with investments as well as selling insurance. I'm seriously considering this. I haven't loved the field I'm in (Health care IT) for a long time now and would actually embrace the change.

It can be a very good paying career but he told me straight up that 70% of the people who start are gone doing something else in 5 years time. But he did say that of those 30% who succeed and stay with it make an average of 150k a year. He has one guy working for him who's pulling in over a half mil a year. I know that's a HUGE stretch but even the doctors that I support at our hospital don't make that much, or very few if any!

I've got some friends who do this on the area and would give it to me straight so I'm going to research this more. I'm quite interested.

Nice! It can be very lucrative career path. I work with a college friend at NWM who manages our insurance stuff.

I had 2 friends recently contact me, whom I haven't spoken to in years that wanted to catch up. They tried to sell me insurance instead. Don't be that guy. :)

Nice! It can be very lucrative career path. I work with a college friend at NWM who manages our insurance stuff.

I had 2 friends recently contact me, whom I haven't spoken to in years that wanted to catch up. They tried to sell me insurance instead. Don't be that guy. :)

I hear ya dude. I wouldn't be that guy, I hate that crap!

Damn jake. Sounds like it could be a great opportunity. You'll have to fill me in next weekend

I am in the boat you described above, Jake. I have been making a lot of sales for a first year agent in Property/Casualty, but being the first year, I have zero in renewals each month so far. Those will start in November, and I'll have a little more each month after that. But because of that, I only make each month what I sold that month. Five years down the road I will be making more than I ever have. Heck in three years I should be making more a year than I ever have. But knowing the first couple of years (and especially the first) is going to be tough, is where it's hard. Luckily my wife knows what the future holds and she is doing more to keep us going and that is what's making it possible for us to survive the first couple of years of this.

As long as your wife supports this decision and you can survive the first few years, I say to go for it. I know you can be successful at it. Will you be getting your P/C and your Life/Health licenses or just one or the other? I got my L/H a few years ago and just got my P/C last October. If you think you want to do both, do the tests for them one after the other, while you are still in study mode. IMO, doing it all will make you better off. You won't sell as much life probably, but the first year commission is a lot higher for that.

Speaking of which, I need to go sell some Life policies before the end of the month!

I wish I had some leads from South Dakota I could give you, but I only sold as far north as Nebraska.

Thanks Smallie . To be honest I'm not eve of sure what licenses I'd need just yet. Right now I have so may more questions than answers for sure. I appreciate the help buddy. I may call you and kick some questions your way in the next couple of weeks.

I am in the boat you described above, Jake. I have been making a lot of sales for a first year agent in Property/Casualty, but being the first year, I have zero in renewals each month so far. Those will start in November, and I'll have a little more each month after that. But because of that, I only make each month what I sold that month. Five years down the road I will be making more than I ever have. Heck in three years I should be making more a year than I ever have. But knowing the first couple of years (and especially the first) is going to be tough, is where it's hard. Luckily my wife knows what the future holds and she is doing more to keep us going and that is what's making it possible for us to survive the first couple of years of this.

As long as your wife supports this decision and you can survive the first few years, I say to go for it. I know you can be successful at it. Will you be getting your P/C and your Life/Health licenses or just one or the other? I got my L/H a few years ago and just got my P/C last October. If you think you want to do both, do the tests for them one after the other, while you are still in study mode. IMO, doing it all will make you better off. You won't sell as much life probably, but the first year commission is a lot higher for that.

Speaking of which, I need to go sell some Life policies before the end of the month!

I wish I had some leads from South Dakota I could give you, but I only sold as far north as Nebraska.

How long you been selling insurance Smalls?

How long you been selling insurance Smalls?

LIfe/Health for three years, Property/Casualty since last November. Haven't sold much Life since I started selling P/C, as I have been focusing on that, since the commissions are the same year after year. With Life it goes down a lot from the second year on. Plus, more people buy P/C, because it's something people can see the results of. With Life, the person you sell to might never see it paid out.

LIfe/Health for three years, Property/Casualty since last November. Haven't sold much Life since I started selling P/C, as I have been focusing on that, since the commissions are the same year after year. With Life it goes down a lot from the second year on. Plus, more people buy P/C, because it's something people can see the results of. With Life, the person you sell to might never see it paid out.

I was just curious. I've been doing P&C 6 years.

Jake,
I wont get too involved publicly in this thread, but Im pretty sure you know what my career path was before THP. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you if you would like some objective thoughts.

Back