Callaway Optiforce Driver Preview

You think so?
Honest question. How long does a company have to wait before releasing a product and not having it be confusing? Im having trouble typing this where it does not sound condescending, but I truly am not meaning it that way.

I really don't know to be honest. I will be interested to see how Callaway markets this driver to the public though. All honesty here, I thought it was a little hokie in the XHot Iron commercials to feature Luke List, with a disclaimer at the bottom that says Luke List actually plays Razr X MB's. I know this isn't the first time this has ever happened with the manufacturers and advertising, and I feel that all the rest are just as hokie as that. If it's for a particular segment of the golf population, then market it as such. Sell equipment because you believe it in, not because you can attach a name to it.

I guess the confusion lies in the product cycle. If I remember correctly, Harry talks about a 6-month cycle for equipment or something like that. I think what's materialized is essentially two types of manufacturers, those who profit in volume and those who profit in margins. Ping, Mizuno and Titleist all seem to do very well and most of their product lines have a 2-year life span. They are clearly focused on margins and will wring out the maximum amount of sales from a product line before releasing an update.

Callaway and TaylorMade on the other hand seem to do a massive amount of front end business with massive marketing campaigns. Then with a few months goes by a price drop to reinvigorate sales. Fast forward a year and the next -ier or whatever is released.

I am not knocking the practice, but I can't remember the last time a new major OEM product was released mid-season which I think is what is odd about this release. .

Im not sure I agree in regards to this at all.

Look at the last 5 years and Ping and Mizuno releases, when they happened and what was released.
Ping has not had a 2 year life cycle in quite some time. Sure the G and I series might have lasted 2 years in the past, but they supplemented that with the S and Anser line. So in effect, had new releases every single year, if not more. Mizuno at one point was chiming out irons and staggering releases almost every 6 months. Not because they were replacing, but adding to the line. Perfect example of that is them doing JPX and MP staggered against each other to make sure that they have new releases more often.

It's a new day in age with sales. If sales start to slump, bring out something new. I have no insight into what their sales figures are month for month, but it sorta makes sense. But what about this: didnt Taylormade just re-release the R1 to go for a different set of customers? Those that avoided the white head like the plague are now enticed to try the black R1. Not to stray off topic, but I think it's similar in a weird way.

Would people prefer that companies held back a great new product to meet a certain timeframe or release the stuff when as soon as they they think it is ready?

Im not sure I agree in regards to this at all.

I did not ask you to agree to it, I simply was stating my own views on the situation. My perception is obviously different. I am sure Callaway has a great club here and I look forward to trying it, but this is the first time I have ever been confused by a product launch and a healthy debate and discussion is good, no?

I did not ask you to agree to it, I simply was stating my own views on the situation. My perception is obviously different. I am sure Callaway has a great club here and I look forward to trying it, but this is the first time I have ever been confused by a product launch and a healthy debate and discussion is good, no?

Im not saying you have to agree, just showing the facts as I think that is important whenever any debate is taking place. Ping and Mizuno are two companies that come up a lot as the opposite of releasing a lot of products, but in truth, they release as often or faster than many out there

Before joining THP I never paid attention to release cycles in the golf world. I knew but didn't pay attention because I was constantly changing clubs for obvious reasons. Callaway releases a light weight club that could be used by most in the market place. Whether us be the 46g PX or the 67g diamana. My dad at 69 hits the Cleveland black, well. I guarantee he will benefit from this driver as would every member of the men's group I played with this past weekend. These are guys that just want to hit it as long as they can and straight or in the FW. The 460 would be perfect for them.

I will say call me confused that so many are confused with this release. And I think it completely changes once people get more info and get a chance to test it and get some numbers.

They have a driver line that was released in November of last year. They have a driver line that was released in January of this year. Now they have a driver line that is released in July of this year as a compliment to the other two.

I guess my question to all those wondering, is why were there no questions when the 3Deep was launched? They released the RXT FW in Novemeber of last year. X-Hot FW in January of this year and 3Deep last month or so. Why were people not wondering where that fit in the lineup? Because it looked and/or was explained differently?

Would it be better if Callaway had said "We have a new adjustment technology and want to release it to golfers as soon as possible."?
These a great points. As far as the 3 deep, I feel like it was more widely accepted because it was "unique" in launching a fairway wood. My only reservation to the release of this driver goes back to when Harry identified the blurred product lines of the Callaway of the past. I felt like this release was doing just that. I may be completely wrong. But as an interested consumer in Callaway golf it just makes me wonder. Up to this point, since the inception of the War plans, I've felt that everything they've done has been awesome. I guess I shouldn't second guess it at this point. Just sit back and watch it unfold. And I would be remiss if I didn't ask what is the plan for a women's line in the light weight technology?

I bet if the Phrankenwood had been released no would be questioning anything. A driver that would not work for most of the golfing public would be lapped up because Phil played it. Just saying....but a blind sides launch has everyone in a tizzy for really no good reason other than the unknown

These a great points. As far as the 3 deep, I feel like it was more widely accepted because it was "unique" in launching a fairway wood. My only reservation to the release of this driver goes back to when Harry identified the blurred product lines of the Callaway of the past. I felt like this release was doing just that. I may be completely wrong. But as an interested consumer in Callaway golf it just makes me wonder. Up to this point, since the inception of the War plans, I've felt that everything they've done has been awesome. I guess I shouldn't second guess it at this point. Just sit back and watch it unfold. And I would be remiss if I didn't ask what is the plan for a women's line in the light weight technology?

I think that is the point being missed with this release. Its sub 300 grams and different than anything else in their line. Adding a smaller profiled tour model brings tour acceptance into play for a product that hits home for something like half the golfing population.

I relate it back to when Cleveland launched the Black. They put out a Black Tour to gain acceptance (which it did).

I bet if the Phrankenwood had been released no would be questioning anything. A driver that would not work for most of the golfing public would be lapped up because Phil played it. Just saying....but a blind sides launch has everyone in a tizzy for really no good reason other than the unknown

Freddie Kong is my hero.

I think that is the point being missed with this release. Its sub 300 grams and different than anything else in their line. Adding a smaller profiled tour model brings tour acceptance into play for a product that hits home for something like half the golfing population.

I relate it back to when Cleveland launched the Black. They put out a Black Tour to gain acceptance (which it did).

Exactly my thoughts, it fits the Cleveland black/ superfast mold, and could really help those looking to gain SS. A couple people have said they think this will take sales from the RFX, but I just dint see that at all, they seem like very different drivers.

Let me ask this question to people.

Ping has the G series, the I series and the Anser series drivers. All released separately and all in their current line (generally speaking). Why do you think that nobody said anything about them releasing these 3 drivers separately (geared towards different segments)?

Again, I want to reiterate, this is not an argument or standing up for Callaway, just a good discussion about release cycles and products as it pertains to this driver.

Exactly my thoughts, it fits the Cleveland black/ superfast mold, and could really help those looking to gain SS. A couple people have said they think this will take sales from the RFX, but I just dint see that at all, they seem like very different drivers.

Agreed, different ends of the spectrum IMO.

I actually said at the time that releasing the Phrankenwood would probably be a bad idea, because of the reason you mentioned, it's not for anyone and everyone. But I also said exactly the same thing you said above, that it would sell because Phil gamed it and gamed it well. Same thing with Ernie's driving iron at Lytham last year. It was going to sell, even though 75% of us couldn't hit that thing if we were given the broad side of a barn to aim at.

No one is in a tizzy. I question the reasoning behind something and admit, I am failing to understand it, and it's like I kicked kittens and punched puppies. That's ok. I'll duck out of this one now. Carry on.

I really think the 440 with the heavier shaft could be right down my alley... I am hoping a LH one will be in Branson, but I am doubting it.

Either way I will get to look at it!

No one is in a tizzy. I question the reasoning behind something and admit, I am failing to understand it, and it's like I kicked kittens and punched puppies. That's ok. I'll duck out of this one now. Carry on.

Dont duck out of this one buddy. Its a good conversation that has no real answer. Facts can be brought to the table, but there are no right or wrong answers in regards to someone's feelings.

Ping has the G series, the I series and the Anser series drivers. All released separately and all in their current line (generally speaking). Why do you think that nobody said anything about them releasing these 3 drivers separately (geared towards different segments)?

Again, I want to reiterate, this is not an argument or standing up for Callaway, just a good discussion about release cycles and products as it pertains to this driver.

Because this is Callaway, and they have made great strides towards winning back a lot of consumers with their full court press war plan. With Ping they really don't move the needle as much as Callaway is now or has in the past. Their are those people that are wanting to see Callaway fail to some degree. Haters gonna hate

Dont duck out of this one buddy. Its a good conversation that has no real answer. Facts can be brought to the table, but there are no right or wrong answers in regards to someone's feelings.

Well people are apparently interpreting this as I have some sort of rager for Callaway over this. I don't. I game Callaway irons, bought them long before Callaway become a good friend to our site and love them and tell people that all the time. This crap of being attacked for having a dissenting view is for the birds. I've said the same thing I am saying now about past Callaway iron offerings. Too many options = too confusing. I've said the same thing about Matrix shafts in the past. Too many options = too confusing. I just see this is the same ole, same ole. Too many options = too confusing. I have nothing against Callaway for doing this. I just fail to understand how this helps them. It didn't with iron offerings in the past.

To me, and I stress in my own subjective mind, the G series is sold as the forgiving line, the I series is sold as the players line, and the Anser is sold as the premium line. It seems like a simpler presentation to me. I think I would be less confused in this instance if this new club replaced the RFE, I believed that the RFE was the technically superior product to the X Hot which was the basic club in the line.

If the Optishot was replacing the RFE, it would make sense to me. I just don't see how you can sell the RFE now with this in the line, they seem very similar in sales propositions (being the most technologically advanced club)

However I do get your previous point, you mix in the S series and K series is a little disjointed as well.

Because this is Callaway, and they have made great strides towards winning back a lot of consumers with their full court press war plan. With Ping they really don't move the needle as much as Callaway is now or has in the past. Their are those people that are wanting to see Callaway fail to some degree. Haters gonna hate

I don't think anyone wants Callaway to fail. Competition breeds innovation. I think their products are amazing to be honest, I game many of their new offerings and appreciate what they bring to the table.

Well people are apparently interpreting this as I have some sort of rager for Callaway over this. I don't. I game Callaway irons, bought them long before Callaway become a good friend to our site and love them and tell people that all the time. This crap of being attacked for having a dissenting view is for the birds. I've said the same thing I am saying now about past Callaway iron offerings. Too many options = too confusing. I've said the same thing about Matrix shafts in the past. Too many options = too confusing. I just see this is the same ole, same ole. Too many options = too confusing. I have nothing against Callaway for doing this. I just fail to understand how this helps them. It didn't with iron offerings in the past.

Truthfully there is nothing wrong with having a "rager" for a company too. I agree about the dissenting view being for the birds. That was so 2012...hehe.

I think once the release happens and people get some time with it, and the marketing is put out, it might gel a bit more. I actually am a big fan of multiple lines. Similar to when Titleist had the D2, D3 and Comp and Ping with the 3 lines. I am a big fan of choices on a personal level.

To me, and I stress in my own subjective mind, the G series is sold as the forgiving line, the I series is sold as the players line, and the Anser is sold as the premium line. It seems like a simpler presentation to me. I think I would be less confused in this instance if this new club replaced the RFE, I believed that the RFE was the technically superior product to the X Hot which was the basic club in the line.

If the Optishot was replacing the RFE, it would make sense to me. I just don't see how you can sell the RFE now with this in the line, they seem very similar in sales propositions (being the most technologically advanced club)

However I do get your previous point, you mix in the S series and K series is a little disjointed as well.

The rfe is a heavy headed open faced "players" club. This is the polar opposite. It seems closer to the x hot if you ask me.

I actually said at the time that releasing the Phrankenwood would probably be a bad idea, because of the reason you mentioned, it's not for anyone and everyone. But I also said exactly the same thing you said above, that it would sell because Phil gamed it and gamed it well. Same thing with Ernie's driving iron at Lytham last year. It was going to sell, even though 75% of us couldn't hit that thing if we were given the broad side of a barn to aim at.

Was your name mentioned in any part of my post? Why are you taking this so personally? I'm offering my opinion on the matter juts like you are and others have done. I think people in general read way too much into things that don't really effect them. My opinions on this matter are based on my line of thinking. Not on what you said...you know me and I have no issue with you or your misguided opinion...I kid...stop being so soft :D

Truthfully there is nothing wrong with having a "rager" for a company too. I agree about the dissenting view being for the birds. That was so 2012...hehe.

I think once the release happens and people get some time with it, and the marketing is put out, it might gel a bit more. I actually am a big fan of multiple lines. Similar to when Titleist had the D2, D3 and Comp and Ping with the 3 lines. I am a big fan of choices on a personal level.

I was born at night. I just wasn't born last night. I've been around here long enough to know when something I have said has been taken issue with. It is what it is. Whatever.

I agree 100%. Offerings are a great choice and if it helps the masses play better golf, by all means. Become a jelly of the month club for all I care. But market it as such. As James said, we are the 5% here (informed and educated). We're not blind and we can read between the lines and know gimmicks when we see them. I'm not saying this is a gimmick, I'm saying, if you are a targeting a group of golfers, market it to them as such, so they know exactly what they are getting, instead of luring them in and bailing on them in a few months.

Back