mayday1775

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a question for all of the people out there that cant play year round. What do you do to rid yourself of the "golf withdrawls"?

I have only been playing for about two or so years but am totaly addicted to the game. Being as I live in Arizona right now I can play year round, but I have been deployed to Afghan for the last three months and still have a couple months to go, and well the golf bug is bitting the **** out of me.

On both of my deployments we had a couple clubs sent out to us and then used cammie netting to hit into. We also had a makeshift putting green. We patrolled twice a day and between that time we practiced. It isn't ideal but it is better than nothing.

First of all, thank you for your service.

Ive been using a baseball bat and swinging it like a club hitting rocks. I have a R1 that I just bought sitting in my garage right now waiting for me to get home and use it.

Get lessons practice time at Golftec, polish clubs until they scream for mercy, live vicariously through those who can golf year round, spend endless hours reading every post on THP.

Hit some foam or wiffle balls against my wall with a wedge.

Get a fake putting green and have someone send you out your putter. Alternatively, a cheapo driver and a bucket of range balls if there's enough room/camo netting. Could also get a target of some kind and work on your chip/flop/pitch shots, using that putting green to protect your wedges reasonably well. I wore out two or three of those putting greens last time I was in Afghanistan.

ive been thinking about buying a cheap wedge and have it sent out here to me to mess with. I'm not going to get any of my clubs sent out here, to much of a chance to get them messed up

I imagine you could come back with a killer sand game after being out there for awhile. Thank you for your service!

Im starting to wonder just how bad my swing is going to be when I get back. I am sure it is going to take a month or two to get back to shooting in the mid 80's

Living in Southern California I can golf year round. Unfortunately I had hip surgery in May and on the shelf until at least late fall, I'm going thru heavy withdrawals. I am in the NAVY and when out to sea I keep wedge in my locker so I can keep my G.P.A in check. It's too difficult to try and put in heavy seas.

I have a question for all of the people out there that cant play year round. What do you do to rid yourself of the "golf withdrawls"?

I have only been playing for about two or so years but am totaly addicted to the game. Being as I live in Arizona right now I can play year round, but I have been deployed to Afghan for the last three months and still have a couple months to go, and well the golf bug is bitting the **** out of me.

Thank you for your service Brotha.
I want to let you know i just contacted Bunkers in Baghdad and I'm going to try and help you out in anyway possible.
Thank you again.
-Manny

Thanks for your service! I don't know what you guys have access to over there. That Bunkers in Baghdad is great, never heard of it.

No, Thank you very much. Ive been in for 13 years and never heard of anything like that! I guess it goes to show that a golfing community is just as strong as any other..

I want to let you know i just contacted Bunkers in Baghdad and I'm going to try and help you out in anyway possible.
Thank you again.
-Manny

No, Thank you very much. Ive been in for 13 years and never heard of anything like that! I guess it goes to show that a golfing community is just as strong as any other..

Your very welcome. I'm glad I could help somewhat for now. It's never a problem to help someone that has served in the U.S. military. Being a member on THP you really get to interact with some awesome and selfless individuals.

Play tiger woods golf on my Ipad or Xbox 360. Not exactly the same but definitely helps

For me it's Tiger Woods on PS3, hitting up the golf simulator and putting on the living room carpet.

Can't say I've been in your position exactly, but I definitely feel for you. Thanks for your service and stay safe over there!

Thank you again.
-Manny

Manny, let us know if there's anything the rest of us can do to help with that

For me it's hockey and cross country skiing. Once a week or so I head down to the snow covered range with frozen matts. I hate the feedback on balls that are sitting out in -30 degree Celsius weather.

I am actually getting to watch the PGA Senior US Open on AFN right now so that is helping some

I took a sand wedge and a few balls to Iraq in 2003 as a joke, since we were calling it "The Big Sand Box". But after things calmed down, and we went back into Kuwait, there were a bunch of us that used to go out in our down time and set a bucket out and try to hit sand shots into the bucket. A few guys didn't even play golf when we left, but liked hitting the sand shots so much that they started playing when we got back.

When I deployed to Kuwait in 1999 for Intrinsic Action, we actually got some R&R time in Kuwait City, so a few of us played golf at a course that was completely sand except for the oiled greens. You took a piece of artificial turf with you and played lift, clean and place right onto the turf for each shot. Pretty fun and different round.

There's a handful of places I almost miss about the Middle East. An Arab Christian's house north of BIAP is one, because the man of the house was a good natured fellow who kept us up to date on the movers and shakers on his block, and had devastatingly beautiful daughters. I miss FOB Sharanna, because I got in ridiculously good shape training at 7K' ASL.

I don't miss Kuwait. No, sir. I can't say that I ever saw anything resembling pleasant weather there. Either lethally hot, absurdly windy, or bitterly cold.

Back