Is Tiger's attitude getting worse? Why the world's number one needs to lighten up

Well said, but I am only going to agree to disagree with some of what you said you on this. Good parenting (roll models) are the first line of defense against any poor roll model(s). If the parent(s) are a great parent(s) (roll model) to begin with, the child will learn to recognize the difference between the good and bad antics of athletes, and others, which is the part I agree with you on.

True, parents provide the base for their children to discern which are true role models to emulate and which ones aren't. The values I teach my sons are what they should be basing all their future decisions and choices on. I think I'm doing a good job - I'm just glad my wife makes up for whatever I miss!

Botttom line is this. I grew up with two older brothers, I was subjected to things that most serial killers profess to and I turned out alright. I truly believe a person has to be held accountable for their actions. Children can still be raised right no matter what outside influences are around them. If they choose not to do so and you taught them the difference between right and wrong as a parent. Then they are choosing the path in their life that they see fit. I can't stand when people hold famous people to a higher standard then they choose to live their own lives. If you don't want your kids to see someone with a foul mouth playing golf then they probably shouldn't be within ear shot of 99% of the people I have ever played with, myself included.

Well said, but I am only going to agree to disagree with some of what you said you on this. Good parenting (roll models) are the first line of defense against any poor roll model(s). If the parent(s) are a great parent(s) (roll model) to begin with, the child will learn to recognize the difference between the good and bad antics of athletes, and others, which is the part I agree with you on.

I don't think we disagree on any of that Provisional. My only point was that if children looked to others as role models, it didn't mean it was the result of bad parenting.

you can also compare to Padraig Harrington, who even on a bad day has a fixed smile that would make the joker jealous.

That's not all that's fixed! So are his eyelids! I have never seen him blink his eyes once!:D

That's not all that's fixed! So are his eyelids! I have never seen him blink his eyes once!:D

That or his Meth dealer travels with him.

-JP

This happen this weekend at the JBwere Matsters

Too bad it didn't come back in two pieces.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ux5ZEQBsfos&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ux5ZEQBsfos&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I saw that. That was over the line. Any time you bring the crowd into your frustration, that's too much. Someone could have gotten hurt. He was fined, from what I understand, for all the good that's going to do.

I'd prefer he didn't do most of the things he does, but oh well, what are you gonna do. This was just ignorant.

Really? Come on Tiger.

I saw that this evening when I was at Dick's on one of their big screens. Horrible, horrible display. Thankfully no one was hurt by the club when it went about 5 rows back into the gallery.

But seriously - a fine? With the money Tiger makes, that was probably the equivalent of his pocket change for the weekend. Disqualify him, or suspend him for a short duration (Masters?) if you want to send a message.

But seriously - a fine? With the money Tiger makes, that was probably the equivalent of his pocket change for the weekend. Disqualify him, or suspend him for a short duration (Masters?) if you want to send a message.

They should take a page out of NASCAR's penalty book. On top of a monetary fine, they dock them Championship points. In golf, they should go with shots. Perhaps 10 shots for throwing a club that leaves the fairway or teeing area. That would stop most of it. (I'm kidding of course, but just trying to show how stupid and dangerous it is to throw a club haphazardly)

Well, no one defends Tiger more than I do, but that was just plain stupid.

If he wants to curse his mother, slam the club into the ground, break it over his knee or bark at the moon, I don't care. But when he starts flipping clubs into the crowd, that just wrong.

Actually, the thing that surprised me the most was that there weren't three people lying on the ground screaming "Lawyer!".

-JP

stupid, just stupid.

cant belive no-one was hurt.

Golf should adopted the base ball rule. Any balls, or bats (clubs) that wind up in the stands (galleries) can be kept by the spectator who takes possession of that piece of equipment. The consequences of lost playing equipment would take care of a lot of errant ball flights, and thrown equipment by the pros.

I guess for the $3mil appearance fee, Tiger decided to give the galleries a little extra new era golf showmanship. I bet he probably thinks the club just slipped out of his hands. :D

Tiger tends to miss left on his driver slings. The club went left this time, and also in the Fedex Cup event while playing with Steve Stricker.

Tiger tends to miss left on his driver slings. The club went left this time, and also in the Fedex Cup event while playing with Steve Stricker.

He needs to watch the videos I posted for him in another thread. They go over the left throw problem.

Very classy. The PGA won't do anything to upset him I am sure. He is the smooth creamy honey butter on their bread. It is hard to see an adult spoiled by a bunch of adults like a tantrum throwing kid.

All that being said, I like watching the guy generally and hope he breaks every record in the book.

Was Tiger reprimanded or fined in any way?

He is a douche bag, but still a great player of the game.

He is a douche bag, but still a great player of the game.

Whoa! He may be full of himself (he is, after all, the best player of his generation and knows it), but he's far from being a DB.

Whoa! He may be full of himself (he is, after all, the best player of his generation and knows it), but he's far from being a DB.

OT: That reminded me of the Sopranos.

On topic: I agree that he is not a DB. IMO, He is a great role model except for his bitchlike tantrums.

As I have pointed out before, I am not a fan of Tiger’s displays at times but overall I have great deal of respect for him and his determination. This however, was grossly over the line. There is absolutely no excuse for throwing your club into the crowd.

My points before have been that everyone has items they can improve on and I have believed for several years that Tiger’s actions when he is frustrated are an area where he could improve. This doesn’t mean his drive and determination has to be diminished. Throwing a club into the crowd however is simply childish, foolish and irresponsible.

I had a few of those tantrums yesterday. When someone is competitive it is natural. It doesn't bother me when someone playing with me throws every single club in their bag. When you expect more out of yourself it is natural to be vocal about it. I play with guys who are so quiet you would think they almost passed out playing. I hit the ball SO good yesterday but couldn't score for crap. That is enough to make any man scream obscenities.

As I have pointed out before, I am not a fan of Tiger’s displays at times but overall I have great deal of respect for him and his determination. This however, was grossly over the line. There is absolutely no excuse for throwing your club into the crowd.

My points before have been that everyone has items they can improve on and I have believed for several years that Tiger’s actions when he is frustrated are an area where he could improve. This doesn’t mean his drive and determination has to be diminished. Throwing a club into the crowd however is simply childish, foolish and irresponsible.

In no way am I condoning what he did, but in fairness, it's not like he flung it at the crowd. He threw it down on the ground in front of him and it took what had to be a weird bounce towards the crowd. Stupid thing to do and he's lucky he didn't hurt anyone and got it back in one piece. I also find it very hard to believe that the club made its own way back three rows into the gallery. I have to think it bounced to the front of the gallery and someone passed it back, or tried to make off with it. The simple physics of a golf club bouncing over three rows of people six feet high doesn't make sense.

Back