Safe suburban schools

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
I sure am glad we live in a safe and cozy suburb with a well thought of school system. What the hell? I guess there's disturbed kids everywhere, but you don't realize they're right down the street in the friendly neighborhood high school. My daughter will be a golf star, hopefully, at this school in two years. Cops, helicopters, I drove by yesterday not long after it happened, and it was quite the scene.

What happened at my daughter's future high school

I don't know what's worse, this or the incredibly bizarre sex scandal that took place last year in the suburb to the south of me where my friend's daughter goes to school.

I blame the Internet.

Kevin

Basically some kid(s) went unsupervised and mixed up a concoction in chemistry that would smoke and irritate eyes/throats? Not all that hard, it's just basically a strong stink bomb.

You probably don't want to know what was mixed up in a beaker when I was a senior in my advanced chem drawer. Hell, I don't know what it was - but it ate half a rubber stopper with fumes alone...

I sure am glad we live in a safe and cozy suburb with a well thought of school system. What the hell? I guess there's disturbed kids everywhere, but you don't realize they're right down the street in the friendly neighborhood high school. My daughter will be a golf star, hopefully, at this school in two years. Cops, helicopters, I drove by yesterday not long after it happened, and it was quite the scene.

I don't know what's worse, this or the incredibly bizarre sex scandal that took place last year in the suburb to the south of me where my friend's daughter goes to school.

I blame the Internet.

Kevin

I blame Time-Out, sparing the rod and all the other things my age group decided was not good for kids. I'm sure some of this stuff happened when I went to school, but not like this. (Although, the promise of 15 minutes of fame for these wacked out kids can be contributed partially to the internet and cable news stations.)

Last edited:

I blame the Internet.

Kevin

I blame the lack of parenting.

Blame Canada!

blame_canada_1.jpg

On this musky fishing forum I mess around on I always blame the French Canadians. For everything. They are surprisingly humorless.

Kevin

On this musky fishing forum I mess around on I always blame the French Canadians. For everything. They are surprisingly humorless.

Kevin

I didn't know JB was Canadian. :D

-JP

I was visiting friends in VT and we had to drive another friend to the airport in Montreal. Otter, the dog, came with us, but we forgot his tags. He was detained at the border, but the Canadians let him hang out - the Americans wouldn't.

How do you forget the dogs tags? Why would you take the collar off?

How do you forget the dogs tags? Why would you take the collar off?

He was outside with his invisible fence collar on and asked to come for the ride. I opened the car door and he jumped in.

I got detained once at the border to France years ago. I forget to get a visa and they pulled me off the train from Spain in the middle of the night.

Ahhh i see. We could never take Bandit to Canda. He can not get his shots anymore.

Kevin, see if there's a followup article. What you posted scanned as something that could easily be a misunderstanding that got out of control, like the kid who was frisked for illegal drugs when all she had was an aspirin.

Public schools are no good at nuance.

Kevin, see if there's a followup article. What you posted scanned as something that could easily be a misunderstanding that got out of control, like the kid who was frisked for illegal drugs when all she had was an aspirin.

Public schools are no good at nuance.

This wasn't a misunderstanding. It's being taken seriously. The student is in custody and it sounds like charges will be filed.

Kevin

Follow up article

This wasn't a misunderstanding. It's being taken seriously. The student is in custody and it sounds like charges will be filed.

Kevin

Follow up article

That's a shame.

The public schools are still no good at nuance.

That's a shame.

The public schools are still no good at nuance.

They have problems putting things in context. We are having both our high schools rebuilt and expanded. Last spring the valedictorian of one of the schools and some of his buddies climbed up on the roof of the new addition right before graduation and built something up there, I can't remember what but it was in good taste, as a graduation prank.

In all its wisdom, the school district's initial reaction was to expel these kids and not let them graduate. Basically ruin their lives. They backed off after a huge outcry, but it was touch and go for a while.

Kevin

When The Kid was in first grade, he made some blunder in computer lab that had him unhappy. God knows where this came from, but he said, "I want to kill myself" in reaction.

The whole suicide alert team swung into action mode with a vengeance. The poor child had no clue what was going on, and I had to deal with the aftermath for ages.

Back