Affordable/Budget Wedges

Mannas

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking to add a cheap but decent quality lob wedge to my set. The loft on my irons are:

PW - 44
AW - 49
SW - 54

I'd like to add either a 58° or a 60° lob wedge but don't want to pay a lot. Any suggestions? I'd like to not go above $60 to $75 if possible.

I found those wedges at those great prices by taking 2 minutes to look at well known stores. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

eBay can sometimes be your friend. Just make sure the listing has clear pictures where you can see the condition of the grooves.

Sent from my grain flow forged iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look on ebay for the Wilson Staff Tw7 or Tw9 wedges. I played them for about 6 years before switching to Taylormade ATV's a year ago. They are in my sons bag now and are as good as any of the 40 or so wedges I've worn out over the years.I prefer the Wilson wedges over my Vokey, Cleveland Classic, Callaway or Ping wedges. I'm sure a used 60 can be had for under $30 as I just looked and saw a set of 3 that is currently bidding at $66.

What would you recommend in regards to loft with me being pretty new and just getting back into golf? I was looking at a 56, a 58 or a 60 degree but have heard a 60 can be tough to hit and control.

Maltby Tour Grind MG or Tricept

I found those wedges at those great prices by taking 2 minutes to look at well known stores. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

I bought a pair of these last week when they were on sale for $44 (IIRC) each. If there is a better wedge deal than (2) Scratch wedges for $90 I've never heard of it. Here's hoping for another sale!

What would you recommend in regards to loft with me being pretty new and just getting back into golf? I was looking at a 56, a 58 or a 60 degree but have heard a 60 can be tough to hit and control.
Just getting back into golf etc isn't a factor when you're looking at wedges as far as I can see. Looking at your current loft gaps I'd say either a 58* or 60* would be best. If it was me I'd get the 58* every time for the simple fact I know it's easier for me to put a full swing on one, and it's versatile. I can open my 58* up and play high soft slop shops or I can play it off the back foot and bump and run it. Some will disagree but I see a 60* wedge as a 1 trick pony.

Taylormade ATV. Yu can get them online for about $65.

I would look on ebay for the Wilson Staff Tw7 or Tw9 wedges. I played them for about 6 years before switching to Taylormade ATV's a year ago. They are in my sons bag now and are as good as any of the 40 or so wedges I've worn out over the years.I prefer the Wilson wedges over my Vokey, Cleveland Classic, Callaway or Ping wedges. I'm sure a used 60 can be had for under $30 as I just looked and saw a set of 3 that is currently bidding at $66.

Tahoe - don't wanna get off-topic, but did you post any thoughts about your ATV wedges? What made you change?

For the money, you are going to be hard pressed to beat the older Cleveland CG14s (ones with the yellow triangle). These have the square grooves for extra spin. Because they are Cleveland, they'll always have some minimal resale value.

I would just buy used. I got a brand new Vokey SM4 that had been returned unused by a customer at GolfSmith for $75, as they had to sell it "used." Ebay has some great deals as well.

Does anybody know anything about the quality of the Top-Flite Tour Wedges? They are 2 for $80 at Dick's right now. The regular ones do not have much in the way of grooves and grind but the tour ones seem nice. I also saw a Wilson Harmonized wedge on Rock Bottom Golf for $29 but don't know much about it either.

Actually just noticed the Macgregor VIP wedges at Golfsmith for $20 also. If they're decent I can't beat that price.

Last edited:
Does anybody know anything about the quality of the Top-Flite Tour Wedges? They are 2 for $80 at Dick's right now. The regular ones do not have much in the way of grooves and grind but the tour ones seem nice. I also saw a Wilson Harmonized wedge on Rock Bottom Golf for $29 but don't know much about it either.

Actually just noticed the Macgregor VIP wedges at Golfsmith for $20 also. If they're decent I can't beat that price.

You can get Maltby Tour Grind or Tricept wedge pack for that and they are a lot better wedges.

I have one of the Top Flite Tour wedges (black with heel/toe grind) they are actually pretty good grooves are nothing special but the milling is more aggressive than the RTX cleveland wedges.

Maltby Tour Grind look very nice I have a 60 but have not had much of a chance to put it through testing yet.

I also have a couple of other inexpensive options. DiamondTourGolf has their CNC wedges some have old grooves some new very inexpensive. Hireko is another place I would look at their Acer XB satin wedges come in a wide array of lofts and are very inexpensive not to mention easy to hit.

I actually ended up picking up a Lynx older model lob wedge for $10 today at Golfsmith that was still brand new. I hit a few others but for the price was very pleased and couldn't pass it up.

20130727_205547_zpsd99784b1.jpg

I would just buy used. I got a brand new Vokey SM4 that had been returned unused by a customer at GolfSmith for $75, as they had to sell it "used." Ebay has some great deals as well.

Why would you want to buy used when you can get new Scratch wedges for $65?

Back