New 2011 Cleveland Niblick

Does anyone else find the looks of the Niblick too much to handle?

Does anyone else find the looks of the Niblick too much to handle?

Many "traditionalists" do where I play, but, the results speak for themselves. Its all about saving strokes in my game, looks or not.

Hello fellas. Ok, after reading your articles I ordered a 2011 49 Niblick. My short game (90 yards and in) has been giving me fits the past several months. I can bomb a drive and then take 3 shots to get close to the hole (miss hit a GW or PW, then leave the chip way short of the cup). BOGEYS...

I was looking for something that could potentially help my short game and revisited the Niblick. I saw it last year but didn't bite on it. I didn't like the look of it to be honest. Looked weird, like a modified chipper. I have given people a hard time about chippers in the past and didn't want to show up to the course looking like I now had one. This years version looks more like a wedge too me. After reading all of your posts I went ahead got got one. It came in last night and I played with it in my living room. Felt really easy to hit. Made solid contact on chips across the carpet. It bounced once and slowly rolled out about 1 ft and stopped. Consistently did that time and time again.... I am taking it today to get extended and a larger grip on it before taking it to the range to really see what it can do. This could be the thing that finally gets me playing under 80 consistently..... I always lose 4-5 strokes per round on those short shots.

I'm 6'3 and it hasn't bothered me a bit. You really don't notice it because of the weighting IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered mine +0.5" cause that's what I needed on my irons. I will report back next Thursday once my custom ordered 56* arrives.

I'm 6'1 and usually find myself choking down when CHIPPING from the fringe with a 37*/42*/49* Niblick. For full swing shots however, I play all Niblick lofts at full length. I like the shaft at the stock length of 35".

Anyone here still use a Cleveland Niblick? If so....for what?

Anyone here still use a Cleveland Niblick? If so....for what?

I have an older (yellow insert) 42 sitting here. I remember there used to be a huge following for these things several years ago.

Anyone still use the Cleveland Niblick at all? For what? Chipping? Pitching? Full Shots? I was thinking of using the 42 for chipping and pitching...or would it be too low lofted for pitching? It's basically a 9 iron.

The Niblicks are great (older version). Pitching, Chipping, Full shots, Recovery shots...
Only getting out of the bunker with 56* on special sand condition is a little bit tricky.

How was this thing easier to hit than a wedge? Especially on full shots?

It always looked so weird to me

I have an older (yellow insert) 42 sitting here. I remember there used to be a huge following for these things several years ago.

Anyone still use the Cleveland Niblick at all? For what? Chipping? Pitching? Full Shots? I was thinking of using the 42 for chipping and pitching...or would it be too low lofted for pitching? It's basically a 9 iron.

I fell in love with the Niblicks in 2010 and haven't looked back. Can't beat their versatility and I score better with the Niblicks in my bag.

Suggest this as a "guide" for the various lofts:

37* Niblick - Ideal for chipping around the greens using the classic "chip and run" shot. If you prefer chipping with a 7-iron or 8-iron as I did before the Niblicks came along, then the 37* could be the best choice for you. (If you look at other brands selling clubs that are pure chippers", the loft is almost always 37*, because that loft provides the most consistent results for most players. For full swings, the 37* Niblick is difnitely a 9-iron in terms of distance so that is the club to replace. Great for knockdown approach shots into the wind as well.

42* Niblick - Still very much optimized to be a chipping club like the 37*, but with a 9-iron's loft, the 42* delivers a bit more spin and elevation. If you play courses with very fast greens, you may prefer this one over the 37* to help limit rollout. The 42* Niblick is PW distance on full-swing shots, and I find the more upright lie makes it more accurate than my conventional pitching wedge.

49* Niblick - This loft is best for pitch shots, and I tend to think of the 49* as "the pitching niblick" . When you want higer elevation, more spin, and softer landings , this is the one. This is probably the most versatile Niblick, and it provides Gap Wedge distance for full swing shots. (Deadly accurate on full swing shots).

56* - This is a great sand wedge. The extra head weight and 14* bounce makes most sand shots a piece of cake. Furthermore, I also find the 56* fantastic for Lob and Flop shots because distance is easier controlled than with a 60* wedge. (The exta heavy head and the zip grooves are huge factors with lob and flop shots too). You should understand that as good as it is, the 56* Niblick does have some limitations however. The 56* loft and 14* bounce combo will not be your friend for downhill lies or buried lies in the sand. The high bounce can also work against you from hardpan and/or tight lies in the fairway. I therefore suggest you carry a low bounce 60* conventional wedge in your bag for those type of shots. The 2010 Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 60* Wedge with 8* bounce was the perfect choice for me. It works great from those super-challenging sand lies, hardpan, and very tight fairways, (lobs/flops). As a added bonus, the CG-14 Wedge just happens to be a cosmetic match with the 2010 Niblicks as well!

Hope you find this guide helpful!

:act-up:

Last edited:
I would like to emphasize that my posts are based on the 2010 Niblick series, which had the higher spin type of zip grooves. The newer 2011 Niblicks have the conforming grooves that produce somewhat less spin. Not sure why the moderator of this forum decided to merge today's brand new Niblick thread with the older Niblick 2011 thread. Post #107 above was originally the start of a brand new thread by EmpyWallet. It was started today, 3/18/2012, at 12:12PM but for some reason it got merged with the (older) 2011 Niblick thread.

:confused2:

Last edited:
Big fan of the niblicks and this thread has a ton of useful info about them

I think more people would use Niblicks if they just had the courage to buy one. Some people still have the "chipper club" issue and fear ridicule from their golfing buddies. That's silly and if it applies to you, get over it. This is certainly a legal club and really a whole new type of club. Cleveland initially termed these "short game hybrids" and thats exactly what they are.

You should not avoid a Niblick that can save your strokes because of someone else's opinion who has likely not even tried one!

Long live the Niblicks!

Last edited:
Agree - just bought a 49 from a THP'er actually - there's still a 42 for sale on that thread if anyone's interested BTW (with Spinner shaft!). I've used it before and liked it a lot - got rid of it mostly because I definitely prefer a gap wedge like my irons for full shots and didn't have room for it but with my new bag, it'll new the 14th club. Heading to St Andrews in a couple months and this thing should be a really nice bump 'n run club

I think more people would use Niblicks if they just had the courage to buy one. Some people still have the "chipper club" issue and fear ridicule for their golfing buddies. Thats silly and if it applies to you, get over it. This is certainly a legal club and really a whole new type of club. Cleveland initially termed these "short game hybrids" and thats exactly what they are.

You should not avoid a Niblick that can save your strokes because of someone else's opinion who has likely not even tried one!

Long live the Niblicks!

Agree - just bought a 49 from a THP'er actually - there's still a 42 for sale on that thread if anyone's interested BTW (with Spinner shaft!). I've used it before and liked it a lot - got rid of it mostly because I definitely prefer a gap wedge like my irons for full shots and didn't have room for it but with my new bag, it'll new the 14th club. Heading to St Andrews in a couple months and this thing should be a really nice bump 'n run club
I am really curious to see how the spinner shaft works out in the Niblick. Mine just went back in the bag, and I think putting the DG Spinner in it would be great.

I tried the 56* Niblick, 2011 version, based on all the chatter in the old thread about the older style with zip grooves. It took some experimentation, but I eventually got pretty good with it out of the sand. For me, I had to try hitting the sand a little closer to the ball than I was used to with my traditional sand wedge. In the end, I decided it was just too unique a club for me -- I couldn't figure out which wedge it would replace, and it was going to require me to learn some new techniques to really be able to use it. But, if I ever have to take some time off from golf again and lose my short game, I will consider adding it to my bag.

Sorry to resurrect a thread from the dead, but Budget Golf has the 2011 models for $59.96. I am going to try out a 49 degree just to see if it helps my short-game consistency around the greens when pitching the ball from around the green.

Are they even making these anymore?

http://www.budgetgolf.com/Cleveland_Niblick_2011.html

Cleveland did not release one in 2013 as part of their current line.

Cleveland did not release one in 2013 as part of their current line.

OK, I thought that might be the case, but I didn't trust my ability to navigate the Cleveland website and search for them well enough to know for sure.

Either way, all it will take is one good hole-saving pitch with my "chipper" club while playing with my pink e6 ball at "guy's weekend" this year to get the guys talking......

You can still find them for sale on Cleveland's website if you click on things in the right order.

I am really curious to see how the spinner shaft works out in the Niblick. Mine just went back in the bag, and I think putting the DG Spinner in it would be great.

Quote from the paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!

But you'll like this RyJo.

I have a new KBS Hi-Rev curing in my 49* Niblick. Post MC fun.

Its baaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaack.

KBS Hi-Rev at AW length. This will be fun to tinker with considering those beastly zip grooves.

I'm surprised how scarce the 49° seem to be online. Only found one on eBay. Nothing else.

I'm surprised how scarce the 49° seem to be online. Only found one on eBay. Nothing else.

Its why I've hoarded this head for a long time now. I sold my first one and White Rhino was nice enough to send me his a couple years ago and I put it in my safe place of extra heads knowing someday I'd want to tinker with it again.

Ddec is searching to see if he still has one. It seems like you two are the only ones on the internet with these.

Back