Taylormade R9 Irons

That's right Diane, and a good thing to do. But it's nice to have a spare set for a visitor, just in case.

Whether I keep my Burner's will depend on my confidence level with the R9's. If I am 100% sure about the R9's (as I was about the Burner's), I will trade in the Burner's (or otherwise sell). What might hold me back is that I know the Burner's work well for me and are fitted per my custom order (basically shortened the 5, 6, and 7 irons to "standard" lengths instead of the oversize Burner lengths). Once I am 100% with the R9's (whether that is before or after I buy them), I will sell the Burner's. I just don't see a reason to sit on $250 dollars.

I don't think I need the extra forgiveness of the Burner's (I am playing to about an 8 or 9 now), but you never know when you are fooling yourself.

I have been playing Mizuno MP-57's for a few years now, when I purchased them I was playing alot of golf (2-3 days a week) and got my handicap down to a 6. I laid off for a while because of work and new baby and I am just now getting back into it, I am playing about a 10-11+ right now and only playing once a week if I am lucky. I having been looking at the R9's and Ping G15's and hit both in a cage at Golf Galaxy. I really need something more forgiving, and this has really given me good insight into the R9's which I like more than the G15's. Thanks and can't wait to read more.

I have been playing Mizuno MP-57's for a few years now, when I purchased them I was playing alot of golf (2-3 days a week) and got my handicap down to a 6. I laid off for a while because of work and new baby and I am just now getting back into it, I am playing about a 10-11+ right now and only playing once a week if I am lucky. I having been looking at the R9's and Ping G15's and hit both in a cage at Golf Galaxy. I really need something more forgiving, and this has really given me good insight into the R9's which I like more than the G15's. Thanks and can't wait to read more.

R9's have quite a bit less offset than G15's and much narrower sole width. Probably more comparable to I15's.

I went by golfsmith today and hit a R9 6 iron. I like the look from the topline, I couldnt tell much by hitting them into the net but they felt good.

TGM, did you prefer the look over yours?

I was able to hit my R9's are the range this weekend and I came away very impressed. And this place uses terrible range balls. I mean just crap. And I had to hit off mats. Theres really no place around me that has real grass and with all the rain they wouldnt let you hit off it anyway. But I loved the look of the R9's from address. Feedback was amazing too. I felt like I could tell how I hit the ball as soon as I made contact. With the Burners this was muted quite a bit.

I felt like I could tell how I hit the ball as soon as I made contact. With the Burners this was muted quite a bit.

That's exactly what I think too.

TGM, did you prefer the look over yours?

I cant really say, I dont mind the thicker look that the CGBs have but I would have to hit them some more and not just a 6 iron. They just reminded me of my old Callaways from the topline.

I was able to hit my R9's are the range this weekend and I came away very impressed. And this place uses terrible range balls. I mean just crap. And I had to hit off mats. Theres really no place around me that has real grass and with all the rain they wouldnt let you hit off it anyway. But I loved the look of the R9's from address. Feedback was amazing too. I felt like I could tell how I hit the ball as soon as I made contact. With the Burners this was muted quite a bit.

Damn, I was fairly pleased with my R-7s, but I have the same opinion of muted feel with off-center hits. Do not have new irons in this year's budget. I was planning on a new driver, putter, wedge set, and Trackman time. Maybe come next spring I can find some demos.

Has anyone had a problem with the ball flight always drawing or even hooking? I'm playing the mp52s and will fade my iron shots, but when i hit the r9s, i either draw or hook them (did this in a simulator). ANyone with similar experiences?

Has anyone had a problem with the ball flight always drawing or even hooking? I'm playing the mp52s and will fade my iron shots, but when i hit the r9s, i either draw or hook them (did this in a simulator). ANyone with similar experiences?

I have not had that problem at all. I play a cut off the tee but not with my irons as much. With these I can play them left or right without much of an issue. No hooking at all though.

Harry, thank you very much for the in depth review. I have been looking at a new set of irons for a few months now, and have considered actually getting the r7 TPs or the Adams Tech A4 forged irons. But the visuals of the R9s really caught my eye. I took 9 years off of golf, played MAYBE 2 times a year in that span. I started back in March of 08 and needed to upgrade from my nickel Ping ISIs :p. I had played ping for so long, that I didnt do a whole lot of searching, but fell in love with the s58s. While I really do like the feel and playability of the clubs, I feel that mis-hits cost me 2-4 shots a round at times. I have been searching for a bit more forgiving club withouth the bulkyness and size of some of the game improvement clubs. This review has definitely thrown these irons into the mix for me.

Again, thank you for sharing your information.

CB-

Like you, I loved the S58s, but I just couldn't hit them well. The R9s are significantly more forgiving. Shots really want to go straight.

My R9 7 iron arrives today so I can start to test it out for a few weeks before I buy the complete set. I am really torn between the R9 and the CG7 BP irons. I had been waiting for those to come out and after hitting both at GG, I really liked the R9 more.

Dumping my Burner for an R9

Dumping my Burner for an R9

Sold my Burner 09 on Ebay for $370 and bought an R9 set for $506 (after Bing cash back.) After spending days hitting off of Golf Galaxy's simulator, i loved the feel of the R9. I think the $130 upgrade is worth it (and considering that my Burner had 7 rounds on it, it's a no-brainer to swap it for a new R9 set.)

This review certainly helped my decision and I can't wait until 2010 golf season kicks in here in the East Coast.

CB-

Like you, I loved the S58s, but I just couldn't hit them well. The R9s are significantly more forgiving. Shots really want to go straight.

Awesome.

I have pretty much made my decision to purchase the R9 TP irons. I need to test out the long irons though, mainly the 3-iron. I will probably head to a PGA superstore and check it side-by-side with my current 3-iron in the simulator.

I also have to decide on which shafts to go with. Either the stock KBS or the project X.

Awesome.

I have pretty much made my decision to purchase the R9 TP irons. I need to test out the long irons though, mainly the 3-iron. I will probably head to a PGA superstore and check it side-by-side with my current 3-iron in the simulator.

I also have to decide on which shafts to go with. Either the stock KBS or the project X.

CB,
Check out the thread that was started last night. We have a panel tester doing the R9 TP irons as well.

TaylorMade R9 TP Irons - Long Term Review - The Hackers Paradise

Despite my poor play today, my ball striking again remained a bright spot. The distances are getting dialed in and every time out I enjoy these irons more and more.

lol I wish I had problem with a draw!

lol I wish I had problem with a draw!

lol, i just want to hit straight. Problem is, my drive fades, so a lot of times, i'm on the right side of the fairway with trees. Having a draw doesn't help. I've never played a draw, so it'll take some getting use to.

For those with R9s, with the stronger lofts, did you have to get an extra gap wedge? I played a 52 and 56, 52 being my 100 yard club while my pw was 115-120. Did any of you guys see an increase in the pw? Afraid i may have a 30 yard gap between the gw and the pw.

My PW goes about 5 yards further with these than it did before.

Despite my poor play today, my ball striking again remained a bright spot. The distances are getting dialed in and every time out I enjoy these irons more and more.

Don't you hate that, you hit the ball great and somehow you just don't score. Are you over/under shooting greens?

No, not really. But off the tee was really a tough thing for me today. Reviewing new driver, fairway woods, and hybrids, can keep me guessing right now.

Back