Reading: Books and Recommendations

That is exactly why I read Gates of Fire. I thought it would give me an interesting perspective on Greece. I always try to read several books pertaining to a geographic area I will be visiting. If you get a chance I would highly recommend both Greece and Turkey. I talked my wife and our two other traveling partners into spending two days in Istanbul. They really didn’t want to go but at the end of our trip everyone wished we would have had a couple more days there.

I think it was a different author. Steven Pressfield wrote Gates of Fire as well as Tides of War and several other historical novels but I don’t think one on Hannibal. He also wrote a book about golf, The Legend of Bagger Vance.

Anyone read any of the James Rollins novels? I just started Sandstorm and was curious what people’s thoughts were of the author.

Best book I have read in a long time is The Art Of Racing In The Rain by Garth Stein. Its about a race car driver who's dog hopes when his life is over he will come back as a man. And the entire story is told from the dog's point of view. Laugh out loud funny at times, heartwarming, sad and a fantastic look at life...through the eyes of a dog.

Highly, highly recommended.

CCR I have seen that book several times in my local book store but never picked it up. I just looked it up and it has a Amazon Kindle version so I think I’ll give it a shot soon.

CCR I have seen that book several times in my local book store but never picked it up. I just looked it up and it has a Amazon Kindle version so I think I’ll give it a shot soon.

well im a racing enthusiast and dog lover so a friend recommended it to me. I couldn't put it down. its a real easy read and just a great story.

Please, don't ever read anything with Terry Goodkind's name on it.

No clue who he is, but for you Geezer . . .

Done.

Thank you, Harry. I feel so much better now, knowing that one less person will pick up a sword of truth series book.

I just started reading "The Art of Racing In The Rain" - now I'm worried that it's going to make me cry.

I just started reading "The Art of Racing In The Rain" - now I'm worried that it's going to make me cry.

I absolutely refuse to read anything about animals, because the animal always dies and it makes me cry. Last year for school, The Kid read Where the Red Fern Grows. He loved it and kept telling me I should read it. Then the animal dog died at the end, and he cried. Now he gets it.

I absolutely refuse to read anything about animals, because the animal always dies and it makes me cry. Last year for school, The Kid read Where the Red Fern Grows. He loved it and kept telling me I should read it. Then the animal dog died at the end, and he cried. Now he gets it.

I know all that, but I've heard wonderful things about this book and it's told from the dog's POV.

I know all that, but I've heard wonderful things about this book and it's told from the dog's POV.

Nope, never.

If I want to cry, I can always watch my swing video.

Where the Red Fern Grows Book and movie. Big Dan and Little Ann. Sadder than Sounder.

Kevin

Interesting. I just finished reading "the Road" by Cormac McCarthy of No Country for Old Men fame. That is a truly special book.

I was looking for something to read and I've never been one to read something "classical", then I saw one of my friends called the Catcher in the Rye one of his favourite books, so I sprung on that. I was supposed to read it at school, but it was one of those books that I was told I had to read, so I never did. Reading it now, i'ts absolutely wonderful. If other classics are like that and so readable, please let me know. What a book.

I just finished reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I have read all of his books to date, and this one got me so excited I read all 509 pages in TWO DAYS.

Interesting. I just finished reading "the Road" by Cormac McCarthy of No Country for Old Men fame. That is a truly special book.

I was looking for something to read and I've never been one to read something "classical", then I saw one of my friends called the Catcher in the Rye one of his favourite books, so I sprung on that. I was supposed to read it at school, but it was one of those books that I was told I had to read, so I never did. Reading it now, i'ts absolutely wonderful. If other classics are like that and so readable, please let me know. What a book.

Ty, I noticed earlier in this thread that you had read Robert Crais and a couple other crime/detective series. If you can find them, I highly recommend the novels of James Crumley. He's sort of a cult private eye novel writer that while never really mainstream, is very highly respected. Crazy characters and stories, unbelievable dialog.

Since you are asking about classics and you apparently like detective fiction, if you haven't already, read Hammett and Chandler. Also Google Vintage Crime Black Lizard Series. Great pulp crime fiction. Jim Thompson is the God of that kind of writing. Really, really, good and fun stuff.

Kevin

I liked "A Separate Peace" if you're looking for a book in the same genre. I hated "Lord of the Flies" though.

I tend to like lighter reading in the Fantasy Realm.

Some friends suggested books about a Dark Elf named Drizzt Do'Urden by RA Salvatore...

I am on book 7 of 17 that he is a character in...Awesome books IMHO....

First book is called Homeland.....

I'm just finishing up "Duma Key" by Stephen King. I'm hoping to get his newest one, "Under the Dome" either for Christmas or for my birthday (I've been lobbying heavily for it).

I absolutely love reading Stephen King!

-JP

I liked "A Separate Peace" if you're looking for a book in the same genre. I hated "Lord of the Flies" though.

I liked both of them, actually. "Lord of the Flies" is rather dark but "fits" so many people and situations and is (unfortunately) all too real. "A Separate Peace", on the other hand is far more hopeful.

Oddly enough, I'm probably one of only a handful of people who have never read "The Catcher in the Rye".

(Of course, if King had written it, I'd have probably read it several times over)

-JP

A few of my favorites, i.e., read multiple times:
Shibumi: Trevanian
Lord of the Rings: JRR Tolkein
The Stand: Stephen King
Atlas Shrugged: Ayn Rand

A few of my favorites, i.e., read multiple times:

Shibumi: Trevanian
Lord of the Rings: JRR Tolkein
The Stand: Stephen King
Atlas Shrugged: Ayn Rand

Back