Status
Not open for further replies.
I dint see Price in pinstripes, I can see him in LA, or Boston, maybe Texas

TX is the front runner right now.
He does not want to play for the Yankees for their facial hair deal. In fact he is pretty strong on it.

Saddest part is, you just know he wont be back in Tampa. They are a feeder system.

He does not want to play for the Yankees for their facial hair deal. In fact he is pretty strong on it.

Saddest part is, you just know he wont be back in Tampa. They are a feeder system.

That's the saddest part about the MLB. Feeder systems (Miami, Minnesota, Seattle, Tampa) almost never contend. And when they do, the younger guys' contracts are expiring and they are being offered big money elsewhere. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast that not every team can be in a major market or have big spending owners like the Tigers and Dodgers. Just wish there was some more fairness across the board in the majors.

That's the saddest part about the MLB. Feeder systems (Miami, Minnesota, Seattle, Tampa) almost never contend. And when they do, the younger guys' contracts are expiring and they are being offered big money elsewhere. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast that not every team can be in a major market or have big spending owners like the Tigers and Dodgers. Just wish there was some more fairness across the board in the majors.

Our Feeder system has been contending for the past 5 years, and while I know it will end eventually, it makes it that much more fun to beat the big boys right now.

We are producing so many high level pitchers right now, that it makes it alot easier to lose guys like Jackson, Garza, Shields, and soon to be Price.

I'm guessing you have some inside insight here, but I'm just going off of gut feeling as a fan. You haven't seen many Rays go to NY, and I think there is a reason for that. I think the clubhouses are SO different between the two teams. Even if the Yankees dropped their STUPID facial hair rule, I still can't see him going there.

Its a ridiculous flawed system. Miami can buy multiple world series (they have) and Tampa has shown it can compete. Yet look at every big contract player that has come up from any of those teams. They always end up elsewhere. Teams can have flashes of greatness, but it is not worth to continue to develop talent when it is just for a few years until they end up elsewhere. MLB is a joke as an organization and they continue to prove it year after year.

Its not just the big signing too. Its the mistakes. Large market teams can make a mistake on a player. Small market takes a chance and it does not pay off, they are crippled for ten years easy.

Our Feeder system has been contending for the past 5 years, and while I know it will end eventually, it makes it that much more fun to beat the big boys right now.

We are producing so many high level pitchers right now, that it makes it alot easier to lose guys like Jackson, Garza, Shields, and soon to be Price.

I'm guessing you have some inside insight here, but I'm just going off of gut feeling as a fan. You haven't seen many Rays go to NY, and I think there is a reason for that. I think the clubhouses are SO different between the two teams. Even if the Yankees dropped their STUPID facial hair rule, I still can't see him going there.

I got no inside info on him personally, but have heard from some friends that he has made the remark about the facial hair repeatedly. I agree about the last few years. I really think its a great start. But the saddest part is as a fan, you will never be able to follow a players career. They will almost always leave. In fact has their ever been a player in Rays history that played at the All-Star level and stayed with them? They have been known to sell high, which has saved them for the last 5 years, that is for sure.

Its just a terribly falwed system that is only getting worse.

I for one would not mind a salary cap/ minimum salary structure in MLB.
You'd see just how good your GM is.

Its a ridiculous flawed system. Miami can buy multiple world series (they have) and Tampa has shown it can compete. Yet look at every big contract player that has come up from any of those teams. They always end up elsewhere. Teams can have flashes of greatness, but it is not worth to continue to develop talent when it is just for a few years until they end up elsewhere. MLB is a joke as an organization and they continue to prove it year after year.

Its not just the big signing too. Its the mistakes. Large market teams can make a mistake on a player. Small market takes a chance and it does not pay off, they are crippled for ten years easy.

Right, the last point you make there, I think of Burnett in New York. He didn't work out, so they pay for him to go to Pittsburg and boom! money again (I just hate the Yankees so anyone that sticks it to them besides arod is ok in my book). If that happened in Pittsburg with his $25 million+ contract, the team would be sunk. Heck, that contract was half of the payroll of the Astros last year.

I got no inside info on him personally, but have heard from some friends that he has made the remark about the facial hair repeatedly. I agree about the last few years. I really think its a great start. But the saddest part is as a fan, you will never be able to follow a players career. They will almost always leave. In fact has their ever been a player in Rays history that played at the All-Star level and stayed with them? They have been known to sell high, which has saved them for the last 5 years, that is for sure.

Its just a terribly falwed system that is only getting worse.

Ben Zobrist, Longoria is signed for another 10 years, obviously he could be traded.

Also remember, they are AL East rivals. For dudes like Damon and Youkilis to do what he did is not common and I think most of the players in the AL East grew to hate the Yankees. Not everyone has the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality, and I like that.

Ben Zobrist, Longoria is signed for another 10 years, obviously he could be traded.

Zobrist? Allstar level? Maybe for a year.
Longoria is the exception because they rolled the dice early. We will see where it lands us, but I suspect he wont last that 10 year deal.

Austin,
I really don't think so. Tampa does two things very well.
The draft extremely well, and they hold onto and develop their own players.
They will be good for years to come, problem is your ownership only seems to dish out big bucks to guys named Longoria.

Fortunate for the Rays, Yankees don't spend well, the Red Sox are just marginally better, Toronto hasn't shown the ability to add substantial salary efficiently, and Baltimore don't seem interested in joining the "big boys".

Friedman is solid, and Maddon is definitely one of the best.

Also remember, they are AL East rivals. For dudes like Damon and Youkilis to do what he did is not common and I think most of the players in the AL East grew to hate the Yankees. Not everyone has the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality, and I like that.

Tell that to Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens,

Zobrist? Allstar level? Maybe for a year.
Longoria is the exception because they rolled the dice early. We will see where it lands us, but I suspect he wont last that 10 year deal.

They rolled the dice early, but he extended his deal by 6 years last year, he seems to actually want to spend his career hear. It is honestly surprising to me.

I will 100% say that Zobrist is one of the most underrated players in baseball. Outside of 2010 he has batted 270 or better every year, with 20 or more HR's and double digit steals. But his real value is in his defense. He can play better than average defense in the corners, and every infield position except maybe the hot corner. He is having a power outage this year, but I bet he gets hot here soon.

But I do agree with your overall premise. But I prefer college football to pro, maybe I just like the change.

I think this generation of sports fans embraces it truthfully. The "Hot Stove" and business of sports is sometimes larger than the season itself. Fantasy sports has changed our perception of team sports and free agency overall.

It does not change the idea of how flawed this league is. Taking such an amazing sport and ruining it one step at a time. It should be Bud Selig's and the MLB's motto.

Per ESPN story, the guy who threw it has come forward. He claims it was a situation not too unlike the one JB hypothesized about.

We have had players go to the Red Sox, Crawford and Gomes come to mind, just they don't seem to go to NY. Although Hinske did end up there, but he wasn't here for a long period of time.

Austin,
I really don't think so. Tampa does two things very well.
The draft extremely well, and they hold onto and develop their own players.
They will be good for years to come, problem is your ownership only seems to dish out big bucks to guys named Longoria.

Fortunate for the Rays, Yankees don't spend well, the Red Sox are just marginally better, Toronto hasn't shown the ability to add substantial salary efficiently, and Baltimore don't seem interested in joining the "big boys".

Friedman is solid, and Maddon is definitely one of the best.

Eventually they will go down here, just don't have the money to compete long term.

The Yankees havn't spent well the past couple years, but that will change. The Red Sox seem to spend poorly but have made some great trades and have a decent system of their own. It seems Toronto will stay awful but the Orioles are trying hard to make the playoffs for the second straight year. The AL East has been the toughest division just about every year during their run, or else we would have won the division more than twice

I think this generation of sports fans embraces it truthfully. The "Hot Stove" and business of sports is sometimes larger than the season itself. Fantasy sports has changed our perception of team sports and free agency overall.

It does not change the idea of how flawed this league is. Taking such an amazing sport and ruining it one step at a time. It should be Bud Selig's and the MLB's motto.

Selig, has had a decent idea.
Adding a wildcard team IMO was a no brainier,the allstar game determining home field, hate it!
And inner league play is out of control.

We have had players go to the Red Sox, Crawford and Gomes come to mind, just they don't seem to go to NY. Although Hinske did end up there, but he wasn't here for a long period of time.

Eventually they will go down here, just don't have the money to compete long term.

The Yankees havn't spent well the past couple years, but that will change. The Red Sox seem to spend poorly but have made some great trades and have a decent system of their own. It seems Toronto will stay awful but the Orioles are trying hard to make the playoffs for the second straight year. The AL East has been the toughest division just about every year during their run, or else we would have won the division more than twice

Austin,
Sit down, you sitting?

I agree, the AL east has been far and away the best division in baseball for the last 6-8 years.
Maybe longer.

The Tigers still are awesome this year (had to).

Selig, has had a decent idea.
Adding a wildcard team IMO was a no brainier,the allstar game determining home field, hate it!
And inner league play is out of control.

With the Astros going to the AL, interleague play is here to stay. At least 1 series is always going to be interleague and I think its good for fans to see different players. A salary cap would limit how much the players could make (which is already absurdly high) but why wouldn't the owners push it? Seems like, with a salary cap, more teams could compete with the big markets. Let the many little guys gang up on the fewer bigger ones.

So exciting to see big time players look at the Rangers now. Even if they don't sign it's exciting that they have a pulse with players. Not so long ago this use to be a feeder system, limited grant you, but players alway went elsewhere. It's been very refreshing as a fan to witness the change.

You mean other than that A-Roid character.

You mean other than that A-Roid character.

Yea, that didn't work out so well. They are still playing for that. This Beltre character is working out pretty well.

Indians given up only 3 hits through 7

Down 3 to 0...only have 1 hit

Suck

Indians given up only 3 hits through 7

Down 3 to 0...only have 1 hit

Suck

I only watched one pitch tonight. It was the 2 run home run in the 2nd. Went right back to Morgan Cup coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back