Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LSU has sent more players to the NFL over the past 15 years than any other program, how many championships have they won?

Umm according to College Football Live just yesterday, that is not true. Do you have the listings? They showed on the TV LSU at number 6 IIRC.

EDIT: CF Live was only going back 12 years.

Last edited:
Umm according to College Football Live just yesterday, that is not true. Do you have the listings? They showed on the TV LSU at number 6 IIRC.

EDIT: CF Live was only going back 12 years.

I am not talking about draft picks. Draft is one thing making the team is another. I have not done this in several years but at one time I spent several hours each year going through every active NFL roster and counting the players on active roster by school and LSU led that total more years than not, no I do not still have those numbers.

I was not talking about draft picks either. I have been digging and everything I have seen has them not in the top 8 over the last 15 years. So there goes that theory...hehe

none of the current SEC QBs will play a down of NFL football outside of possibly Ryan Mallet at Arkansas. I don't see any others. Tebow will play but not at QB. He is a running back in the pros.

I think you need to watch the SEC some more. I think your argument right there sums up your thoughts. You clearly have not watched a lot of SEC or college football this year. I hate the SEC with a passion, but it is impossible to find an argument against them being the best conference.

UMMMMMMMMM

Jevan Snead - One of the best pure passers in college and many "experts" say is a lock at a early first round pick. Right after last years draft so many experts said he could be the 1st pick this year, so it is not as if he is a flash in the pan.

Can the voters possibly put USC in the top 25 anymore? This is a disaster. And yet they still beat Ohio St. How can these teams be in the top 15?

Stanford was very impressive. It looked to me like USC just quit.

Holy crap - the UCF Knights actually beat Houston. Did not see that one coming! Gonna be some parties going in in Orlando tonight after that Homecoming win...

TCU looked real good tonight. I think they could play with anybody in the country.

TCU is solid. But I think against UF, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Georgia Tech, etc... they get exposed. They lack overall team speed that the big programs have.

I dunno JB. Utah's coach said that the TCU team was the best he's seen, and that's coming from the guy who's team lit up Alabama 31-17 (as a 9.5 pt underdog) in the Sugar Bowl last year. Held Alabama to 31 yards rushing and 208 total yards while putting up 8 sacks on the Alabama qb.

If TCU stays unbeaten like it looks they will, they'll probably get the loser of the SEC Championship game in the Sugar Bowl this year.

Of course he said that Osahar. He is the coach of another small school and just got his butt whipped. He is always going to make the smaller schools stand out. TCU is a talented program this year, but anybody that thinks that they would be undefeated playing in the Big 12 or SEC is crazy.

Texas finally looked like a team competing for the national championship. Not that Baylor was a strong opponent, but Texas looked they way they should look against a team of Baylor's caliber. They finally didn't play down to the level of their opponent.

The defense was strong as usual (the scores by Baylor in the fourth quarter were after the starters were pulled, otherwise it would have been a shutout), and the offense finally played up to it's ability. They just didn't struggle at all. And Colt McCoy should be considered the Heisman favorite after that game. (He should have gotten it last year. For Pete's sake, he set the all time college completion percentage record - and he blew away the old record, and he was one of the team's leading rushers.) But yesterday, he could do no wrong - he was a machine. Clearly the team leader and all cylinders firing.

The Florida game isn't being televised here, but I see that UF is up 62-3.

Is Tebow still in the game? Because if he has played any of the 4th quarter, someone needs to repeatedly b!tch-slap Urban Meyer.

No, he came out it looks like.

Florida's in coast mode until the big game with Alabama now. It's take a miracle for FSU to beat them next Saturday.

ND loses to UConn at home in OT.

Even I know that's a really big deal. UCONN is pouring more money into football or so I've been told. I went to summer school there one year - they make their own ice cream on the farm there. It was yummy.

Uconn has had a good program for a few years now. Donald Brown came out of there.

Uconn has had a good program for a few years now. Donald Brown came out of there.

UCONN is a good rising program, but there is no excuse for ND to lose this game. I believe there is only one player on UCONN's roster that was recruited by ND and that was the QB Frazer who transferred from ND once Clausen passed him on the depth chart. Given the obvious talent difference, the blame for this loss has to be put squarely on the coaches.

UCONN is a good rising program, but there is no excuse for ND to lose this game. I believe there is only one player on UCONN's roster that was recruited by ND and that was the QB Frazer who transferred from ND once Clausen passed him on the depth chart. Given the obvious talent difference, the blame for this loss has to be put squarely on the coaches.

While that may be true, that just means that ND possibly needs to target better players. I have nothing against them, but the days of them dominating NCAA are long gone as an independent. For years having their own TV deal gave them top notch players, but now every major conference has a TV deal.

While that may be true, that just means that ND possibly needs to target better players. I have nothing against them, but the days of them dominating NCAA are long gone as an independent. For years having their own TV deal gave them top notch players, but now every major conference has a TV deal.

Recruiting better players isn't the problem. Our last few recruiting classes have been ranked something like 10,2,5,8. Obviously, we aren't going to easily get all the best players anymore but any coach that works hard in recruiting (basically anybody but Willingham) can get players more than good enough to win with. UCONN's recruiting classes have consistently been ranked around 75. Any decent coach should be able to consistenly beat teams that are that far apart in talent and occasionally beat teams with better talent.

Basically, if we were only talking about this game, then that would be one thing. But when combined with 2 losses to Navy, last years loss to Syracuse and overall records of 9-3,10-3,3-9,7-6 and currently 6-5, it all adds up to a failure by the coaching staff.

Those are exactly the reason I say it is the recruiting. Call those classes ranked whatever they want to, but when you lose this many games to weaker teams, its not just coaching, its talent.

:shock:

Dumbest.Coaching.Mistake.Ever.

LSU loses to Ole Miss.

Those are exactly the reason I say it is the recruiting. Call those classes ranked whatever they want to, but when you lose this many games to weaker teams, its not just coaching, its talent.

If our current talent level is not good enough to beat teams like Navy, Syracuse & UConn, then I'm not sure how we are ever going to be able to compete with SC and Michigan. It seems like every time we go through a coaching change, it becomes obvious that talent is not the problem. When Willingham couldn't win in 2003, some pointed to the talent level as a reason why we couldn't compete. Those teams featured NFL players like Justin Tuck, Julius Jones & Ryan Grant along with the stars of the 05-06 ND teams (Quinn, Samardzija, etc). That talent was definitely better than the 03 & 04 teams produced. You will see similar things with the current talent. Clausen, Tate, Floyd, Rudolph & Teo are as good at their positions as anyone at ND in my lifetime. With a better coaching staff, you will see that talent (minus Clausen & Tate probably) produce better results than these last 3 years.

Weis has done some good things, such as restocking the talent level at ND after we were staring into the abyss with Willingham. He has been a terrific recruiter and good offensive coordinator, but a failure as a head coach. Unlike Willingham and Davie, I feel that Weis worked hard to give himself the best chance at success. But, he is just not cut out to being a head coach at a big-time program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back