Ask the Expert: Roger Cleveland's Answers to Your Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
Ask the Expert: Roger Cleveland's Answers to Your Questions

How you would compare and contrast the designs and technologies used in Callaway's wedges with those from other major brands. What makes the Callaway wedges different?

A lot of people copied the wedge designs we developed at Cleveland Golf years ago, like the 588 wedges, but I didn't want to do that. I wanted to do something a little bit different.

When I had the opportunity to get back into club making, and start making wedges for Callaway, I wanted to use the purest form of making irons, and that means forging. I also wanted to use the softest material to give golfers the most feel, and that's 1020 carbon steel. Then, I wanted to have the best forging house in the world, which is in Japan, make the wedges. After putting all those things together, we've been having a great time making irons and wedges here at Callaway.

But what makes our wedges really different from other manufacturers' is the aggressive groove we have developed in conjunction with Phil Mickelson.

Phil always tests a new wedge by hitting 40-yard shots, and he hit that shot pretty hard. The first shot he hit using a a super-aggressive groove we created for him made a white trail of cover material up the face of the club. He looked down and said, "Yep, that's my Mack Daddy groove." We loved that, and so we named our groove the Mack Daddy.

With the new JAWS wedges, I wanted to reduce the silhouette of the wedge when you're looking down at address, and I wanted a smaller head. I think that gives golfers a feeling that they can get the leading edge under the ball more easily. We also implemented a very aggressive C-grind in the sole which makes it very versatile.

For the amateur, how would you go about trying and picking a particular sole grind for wedges?

It all depends upon how much you practice and how many different shots you want to be able to hit with your wedge, especially a high-lofted wedge.

If you're the type of player who likes to open the face and hit higher, softer-landing shots, then look for a grind that supplies heel relief but doesn't add too much bounce in the process. Opening the face automatically adds bounce, but some grinds create more than others.

If you don't practice that often, going with the grind that supplies more bounce will help you get out of the sand more easily.

Every wedge needs to have some positive amount bounce so it can slide, rather than dig, through the turf. Remember, you never want to hit a wedge shot using your leading edge, you always want to use the sole as the contact point to the ground.

What is your honest opinion of the upcoming USGA groove rule changes?

I don't think the new groove rules are necessary. Instead of doing something with the grooves, we have always felt, as have Jack Nicklaus and Sandy Tatum (a former President of the USGA), that they should do something with the ball instead. Creating a "tour ball" that spins more would reduce the average driving distances, put a greater emphasis on hitting good shots, and keep historically significant golf courses playable without adding excessive length.

Originally, the USGA gave us exact guidelines about the new grooves, but it didn't want to confine us to making only a V groove. So, in July 2009 we developed a groove that met their specifications and brought it to the USGA for approval. The USGA told us the intent of the rule was to reduce spin, and that while the new groove complied with the rules, it created too much spin. We told them that they gave us a rule, and we followed it. It took us about $300,000 to develop that groove, but the USGA said, "No."

Callaway is always going to design to the Nth degree of performance, otherwise somebody else is going to do it. That's what competition is about. But the USGA changed the rule again anyway. It's as if we're playing a football game and as we're about score a touchdown they moved the goal line and made the field 110 yards.

So we had to go back and develop another new groove, which made us a little bit late in getting the clubs to our tour players.

Look, I don't fault the USGA for what they are trying to do. I don't even fault the management of the USGA, they have a hard job, but I just think changing the ball would have been the best way to go about doing.

Any insight on trying to get as much spin as possible from conforming equipment in 2010?

Because the USGA is allowing all manufacturers to design different condition of competition grooves, you're going to have to look at what the different manufacturers are going to provide. They are all going to be different. It is too early to give any opinion about other companies' condition of competition grooves, but I'm sure looking forward to seeing them.

With our groove, we reduced the area between the grooves, and therefore we had to reduce the capacity of the grooves. The rules create a ratio of the space between the grooves in the capacity of the grooves. Callaway decided to go the route of putting more grooves on the face. Through our studies we learned that the more edges you can put on the ball the more friction and spin you can put on the ball. Hence the name of the new wedge line, JAWS.

What is the reason behind the relatively low swing weight of the X Forged wedges?

The pitching wedge replacements in the X Forged line are D3 swing weight, and the sand wedge and lob wedge options are D4 swing weight. I think that is plenty heavy enough.

If you get too heavy with your wedges, it creates a big difference between them and your irons. As you transition from your irons to your wedges, the swing weight should increase gradually.

As much as I love the X-forged wedges, will there ever be an approach wedge option for the X-22 Tour iron set, as with the X-22 set? As a 12-handicap, I'd like to have an approach/gap wedge with some more forgiveness. Other major brands offer this option in their "tour cavity back" iron sets, and I'd like to see Callaway do the same. Any thoughts?

Callaway is planning to do that on our next set of forged irons, so you are going to have that option in the future. There will be both an A wedge and an S wedge that works with the same finish and feel and design features as the iron set. You're certainly a forward thinker!

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2009/11/ask-the-expert-roger-clevelands-answers-to-your-questions.html#

You know, it's funny...I've always said that forged clubs are the best and offer the greatest feel; that the biggest reason for distance these days is not the clubs, but rather the ball and that if you like to hit open-faced wedge shots (as do I) that grinding the heel of a wedge will make that easier, which is what I've done for all of my wedges for the last 25 years.

I guess great minds really do think alike. :thumb:

Good article.

-JP

And yet Roger Cleveland made cast clubs and wedges and sold them as the best. More tour pros use cast wedges than forged wedges. The number one and two wedges sold in the US are cast.

But I am sure that people can tell the difference because of the process and not because of the metal being used. He says it himself above. Softest metal and purest process. Not the process that is making it soft.

kool-aid-man.jpg

And yet Roger Cleveland made cast clubs and wedges and sold them as the best. More tour pros use cast wedges than forged wedges. The number one and two wedges sold in the US are cast.

But I am sure that people can tell the difference because of the process and not because of the metal being used. He says it himself above. Softest metal and purest process. Not the process that is making it soft.

Seems you have a bug for people who like/prefer forged clubs?Is there a reason?

Seems you have a bug for people who like/prefer forged clubs?Is there a reason?

I dont at all. But people that say it is the process that makes them soft and do not understand that the process has nothing to do it with it anymore. It is the metal used.

People that want to believe the marketing hype that FORGED is the reason for soft clubs can drink the kool aid as much as they want. If a company like Miura were to cast using the same metals they use in forging with todays technology would feel the same.

One of the reasons THP was built was to help rip through marketing. Ask any master club maker like Stites, Hoefy, Clay, etc...and they will all tell you the same thing.

People are going to believe the marketing because for years it was true. Just like they believe that Spin Milling will increase spin, etc...

I dont at all. But people that say it is the process that makes them soft and do not understand that the process has nothing to do it with it anymore. It is the metal used.

People that want to believe the marketing hype that FORGED is the reason for soft clubs can drink the kool aid as much as they want. If a company like Miura were to cast using the same metals they use in forging with todays technology would feel the same.

One of the reasons THP was built was to help rip through marketing. Ask any master club maker like Stites, Hoefy, Clay, etc...and they will all tell you the same thing.

People are going to believe the marketing because for years it was true. Just like they believe that Spin Milling will increase spin, etc...

IMHO,I feel some cast clubs do feel very good.As close to many of those forged with same metals.Doubt one could tell the difference between the two.Usually cast will have thicker top lines then the competing forged ones.Not always the case though.
Benefits of cast,once again just My opinion-Is they wear better,hold their loft and lie angles more and the grooves don't wear out as fast.

I play my irons cause I love the look of them from address.Feel is subjective, I like them with my current shaft of choice.If I change them out,the feel changes a touch.

Appearance of how the club looks at address is one of the most important factors to me.

Is their a reason I don't play Vokey's?Yes,I find they wear out way to fast.
Do I play Cast wedges over forged? Yes,Cause they last longer. Not,cause there's a feel difference.

I agree with you almost 100%.

Vokeys are cast by the way.

I agree with you almost 100%.

Vokeys are cast by the way.

I know that.You mention why many use them,I mention why I don't use them.8620 metal ,I believe that's what they are?

Forged has a grain - cast doesn't and it's that grain that makes the difference and you can put up all the Kool-Aid images you'd like, but they're not going to change that fact.

I've played both Vokey's and Cleveland's and I didn't care for either. They were both too "clicky" and the feel of the ball on the face of the club simply wasn't there and that's why I went back to forged and I'me very happy with that.

Yes, I'm sure technology exists that can make cast clubs SEEM more like forged, but to me that's like bonding a sheet of vinyl made to look like woodgrain to a piece of pressboard -- it LOOKS like real wood, but it isn't and it never will be.

Ain't nuthin' like the real thing, baby!

-JP

Given 20 blank wedges 10 forged,10 cast and made of a similar material with the same shaft and specs you wouldn`t be able to separate them.

Given 20 blank wedges 10 forged,10 cast and made of a similar material with the same shaft and specs you wouldn`t be able to separate them.

Your preaching to the choir. We have a huge thread on this and the people that want to believe the hype are going to believe it. They dont care that every single expert feels feels that way and that touring pros feel that way. These amateurs know far more and can tell. :banghead:

Your preaching to the choir. We have a huge thread on this and the people that want to believe the hype are going to believe it. They dont care that every single expert feels feels that way and that touring pros feel that way. These amateurs know far more and can tell. :banghead:

You know...it cracks me up that guys like you feel that only "experts" can have opinions on such things and that their opinions are the only ones that matter. That's OK though, because when people become awestruck by "experts", people like me point out that experts built the Titanic too and that sort of brings them back to earth.

I don't care how many people you trot out to tell me I'm wrong because I feel a difference and when it comes to my own sense of touch and feel, I'M the expert, not them.

Why can't you just accept that?

-JP

(BTW, don't you get tired of banging your head against the wall like that?)

You know...it cracks me up that guys like you feel that only "experts" can have opinions on such things and that their opinions are the only ones that matter. That's OK though, because when people become awestruck by "experts", people like me point out that experts built the Titanic too and that sort of brings them back to earth.

I don't care how many people you trot out to tell me I'm wrong because I feel a difference and when it comes to my own sense of touch and feel, I'M the expert, not them.

-JP

You can feel anything you want. I can feel anything i want. I can feel that the earth is flat, the sun will not set, etc... It does not make it right, but I can feel that way. You did not say YOU can feel it. Your words were, forged has grain and that is what you feel.

Placebo effect.

-JP

The Titanic hit an iceberg,navigation error I think,and you cannot feel the difference between forged and cast if the construction materials are similar.

You can feel anything you want. I can feel anything i want. I can feel that the earth is flat, the sun will not set, etc... It does not make it right, but I can feel that way. You did not say YOU can feel it. Your words were, forged has grain and that is what you feel.

No, my words were: "...it's that grain that makes the difference" (I guess your "Quote" feature doesn't work) and it's that grain which allows vibration to travel more efficiently, thus telegraphing a more precise feel throughout the clubhead.

If this is not true, then why did I not care for either the Vokey or the Cleveland wedges?

When I was using them, I had no idea that either were made from castings, I thought that they were forged because all of the hype I was hearing about "soft feel" and all that jazz. But after using both for about half a season, I still couldn't get the feel I was after and the "clicky-ness" was driving me crazy, so I shopped around for some different heads and ended up with some Golfsmith forged heads (not the ones I have now) and they felt great.

It wasn't until a few months later that I found out that both the Vokey and the Cleveland were cast clubs and then I thought to myself, "No wonder they felt different!"...now it all made sense.

So how do you suppose that the only two cast clubs I bought turned out to be the only two clubs that didn't feel right to me? How do you think I came to abandon both of them if not for noticing a difference between them and what I was used to?

Gee, could it be that I could feel the difference?

Hmmm...

-JP

Reactions: JB
Gee, could it be that I could feel the difference?

Hmmm...

-JP

You are a true enigma. You feel things that the tour pros say they cant. The club makers say they cant. The teachers say they cant. Truly amazing.

The only people that say they can are amateurs. Its truly amazing. I'm done. Believe what you want.

...The only people that say they can are amateurs. Its truly amazing...

JB, I'm not sure if you realize it, but that statement actually hits the nail on the head.

Here's why:

A pro golfer, say in his late twenties, has been handling golf clubs of all sorts and hitting tens of thousands of shots with them - using them extensively day in and day out for about two decades. So it's not unusual to lose some sensitivity to the nuanced differences between various types of clubs. Add to that the fact that - as pro's - they're more interested in results than feel and you often end up with a person who really cannot tell the difference between a casting or a forging; because it's not really all that important to them and because the part of them that may have once been able to tell such a difference has (for lack of a better term) been "numbed" to a large extent.

An amateur, on the other hand, has a very limited exposure to the game and to equipment in general and as such can "feel" things from a far more objective position; one which hasn't been over-exposed to virtually every type of club ever made nor "deadened" by hitting tens of thousands of golf shots. It is that objectivity (along with a naturally fine sense of touch) which allows many amateurs to feel the subtleties and nuances that a seasoned pro or a seasoned clubmaker, for that matter, may no longer be capable of doing or sensing.

It's the same reason why married couples, having trouble with their relationships, often benefit from therapy; because a therapist knows nothing of either of them and may often see things that two people so close to each other may not.

The same is often true of many professions in that as one becomes entrenched in what they do for a living, they sometimes overlook or cease to notice the basic things that they may once have noticed and to which they paid great attention, but no longer regard as extant or even relevant. And just as in golf, it sometimes takes the observation of a comparative outsider to see something that the "pro" may be overlooking completely.

Just an observation, JB.

-JP

Reactions: JB
You forgot ONE key important element in that speech. (I will generalize here) Amateurs usually believe all the marketing and hype that is associated with a product. The same reason they play the wrong ball. The same reason they play blades. The same reason that they think its the process that makes an iron softer and not the metal used.

If you really believe that an amateur will be able to tell feel on a club club better than a professional golfer or club maker, all the power to you. I find that truly hard to believe. A person with a repeatable swing is going to know what they are feeling far better than any person that hits it differently 60% of the same. But like I said, believe whatever the heck you want to.

You forgot ONE key important element in that speech. (I will generalize here) Amateurs usually believe all the marketing and hype that is associated with a product. The same reason they play the wrong ball. The same reason they play blades. The same reason that they think its the process that makes an iron softer and not the metal used.

If you really believe that an amateur will be able to tell feel on a club club better than a professional golfer or club maker, all the power to you. I find that truly hard to believe. A person with a repeatable swing is going to know what they are feeling far better than any person that hits it differently 60% of the same. But like I said, believe whatever the heck you want to.

You're such a technocrat!

You don't seem to realize that I and millions of other golfers at or near my age grew up on blades because that's all their was and we used whatever ball was available. There was no "hype" to buy into because just about every club available was basically the same as every other club.

The beauty of that was that I learned to play the GAME and wasn't bogged down with all of today's nonsense like what a club is made from or how many degrees of torque or loft was built into my driver -- my Persimmon driver, or whether my putter's face had left-handed or right-handed "swirls" on it.

We learned to PLAY golf, not how to spend most of our waking hours getting "fitted" to play.

I learned to play flop shots by laying a wedge blade wide open and controlling my swing rather than buying a club that looks more like a spatula than a piece of sports equipment - and I learned that long before anyone ever heard of Phil Mickelson or the word "flop" in relation to a golf shot. I developed a very keen sense of touch and feel and yes, I could tell you where a ball went just by how it felt coming off the clubface without having to watch it.

I think that everyone who's serious about this game ought to learn on blades to understand just what a sweet spot is and to learn how to deliver the club to the ball so that hitting that sweet spot becomes a predictable motion rather than just dumb luck. I think that being "forgiven" for a bad swing instead of learning what a good swing feels like actually delays the learning process. Yes, they'll make more mistakes and yes, their scores won't be so great right away, but in the end they'll learn more and they'll learn better and they'll know just what "touch and feel" are really all about.

-JP

You're such a technocrat!

You don't seem to realize that I and millions of other golfers at or near my age grew up on blades because that's all their was and we used whatever ball was available. There was no "hype" to buy into because just about every club available was basically the same as every other club.

The beauty of that was that I learned to play the GAME and wasn't bogged down with all of today's nonsense like what a club is made from or how many degrees of torque or loft was built into my driver -- my Persimmon driver, or whether my putter's face had left-handed or right-handed "swirls" on it.

We learned to PLAY golf, not how to spend most of our waking hours getting "fitted" to play.

I learned to play flop shots by laying a wedge blade wide open and controlling my swing rather than buying a club that looks more like a spatula than a piece of sports equipment - and I learned that long before anyone ever heard of Phil Mickelson or the word "flop" in relation to a golf shot. I developed a very keen sense of touch and feel and yes, I could tell you where a ball went just by how it felt coming off the clubface without having to watch it.

I think that everyone who's serious about this game ought to learn on blades to understand just what a sweet spot is and to learn how to deliver the club to the ball so that hitting that sweet spot becomes a predictable motion rather than just dumb luck. I think that being "forgiven" for a bad swing instead of learning what a good swing feels like actually delays the learning process. Yes, they'll make more mistakes and yes, their scores won't be so great right away, but in the end they'll learn more and they'll learn better and they'll know just what "touch and feel" are really all about.

-JP

So because blades are still made and they are harder to hit, then people serious about it should learn on them? The pros dont even use them for the most part anymore. Times have changed. You dont have to like it, but technology has made this a better game for the masses. People should learn to play tennis with wooden rackets? People should play basketball on a smaller hoop? And of course play with equipment that is not right for their game. Why should someone make the game harder only to hope that it could get easier down the road? People should learn the game to enjoy it and use the technology that is available to them iin todays market. Why should someone learn to play the game with equipment that will not help them enjoy the game?

So what if you learned to play a flop shot with a less lofted wedge? Others have it easier. I learned in school before computers, yet I am not mad that today they get to use them? I too learned with persimmon woods, but why in the world would I ever want someone to use them when todays equipment works better and is easier to hit. Call me a technocrat, you sir are a guy that gets upset because new equipment has made this game better for lesser players and always want to remember the "good ole days".

Some people play the game of golf to have fun and as the averages show, most people rarely break 100. Yet they still love the game. You keep believing the hype and that old school is the way to go. Kids should still have to walk to school, nobody should have a cell phone or computer. Technology changes golf like it changes life. Why should newcomers not benefit from this?

JB - I agree there is merit to what you are saying, but there is also merit to what JP is saying. Don't you think it makes sense for a new golfer to understand that they can use one wedge in different ways to hit different shots before they fill their bag with several wedges? Learning different swings, stances and how to open and close your club face will only help you in the long run.

JB - I agree there is merit to what you are saying, but there is also merit to what JP is saying. Don't you think it makes sense for a new golfer to understand that they can use one wedge in different ways to hit different shots before they fill their bag with several wedges? Learning different swings, stances and how to open and close your club face will only help you in the long run.

Sure, and they do, but I also think beginners should learn to enjoy the game first and use technology to their advantage. Beginners should learn to keep it simple and hit the clubs that produce the best results with the easiest of maneuvers.

The forging process doesnt make them soft, but it does give superior feel. Thats why most golf companies offer both cast and forged irons, because someone people prefer the superior feel of forgings and dont want the muffled feel of cast clubs.
That my biggest beef against Vokeys. They are great wedges, yes; but Im not willing to give up the feel of forged wedges.

Assuming that 2 clubs are made from the same metal, how in the world would forging give one metal a superior feel???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back