Let's Talk Divots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane

Reaction score
We've had a lot of rain so most of the courses are getting a bit chewed up. I don't think I've played a round lately without ending up in one or two divots. If my ball is near the front of the divot, I have an easier time getting out, but when it's near the back - it's more difficult for me. I tend to be a sweeper anyway. How do you handle landing in a divot. (FYI - whining is not handling. :wink:)

2 things i focus on;

1. Place the ball a little more back in your stance.
2. Make sure your sternum (breastbone) is slightly ahead.

then i play the shot as normal.

I just focus more on hitting down and through the shot.Yes, the hardest ones is when your ball is in the back of the divot.

We've had a lot of rain so most of the courses are getting a bit chewed up. I don't think I've played a round lately without ending up in one or two divots. If my ball is near the front of the divot, I have an easier time getting out, but when it's near the back - it's more difficult for me. I tend to be a sweeper anyway. How do you handle landing in a divot. (FYI - whining is not handling. :wink:)

The very back of a divot is just the worst, but what I do is move the ball back in my stance to be sure I contact the ball first, make sure I make a very steep swing, and take more club. If the shot requires a carry over trouble, like a bunker, I will aim away from it even if it means not carrying the ball onto the green. Not perfect, but it works for me.

Ball back in my stance, steeper than normal swing, take one more club if need be

Same as above, although since I like to gamble I will use my driver sometimes to kind of bunt/punch the ball out..........

If you wanna try this I reccomend practicing it first though because feel and control of the ball is hit or miss without trying it first. Plus you have to focus hard to make sure you make good contact, though I have found even hits on the very bottom still go a ways they just don't look pretty you know? Yet they still get the job done for me since our fairways are pretty firm.

Handling a ball in divot is just another hazard on the golf course to me. There are just too many folks who do not R&R their divots. It's a never ending problem. When I am at the range I always make it a point to hit a few balls out of the divots left by others. By practicing the tough shots, you will save strokes on the course. :comp:

When I am at the range I always make it a point to hit a few balls out of the divots left by others. By practicing the tough shots, you will save strokes on the course. :comp:

I always hit out of them in the Winter even though Winter Rules are in effect. It's good practice.

I grip it, swing HARD and look up!:cool:

I hit someone in my group with a divot yesterday. This wasn't on purpose - it flew up and hit her. I was so embarassed.

Play the ball a little back in your stance, cock your wrists a little bit earlier than normal in your backswing to steepen your swing and focus on hitting down on the ball.
You basically play it like a shot out of the rough or out of a bunker with a hybrid or long iron.
The main thing to focus on is having the clubhead hit the ball before it hits the ground.

I hit someone in my group with a divot yesterday. This wasn't on purpose - it flew up and hit her. I was so embarassed.
:thumb::thumb: GOOD! That should teach her not to stand there! :act-up:

When you can say that you hit yourself with your own divot, then you have accomplished something.
Sadly, thats something I have done...

I simply focus on staying down through the ball. The commonest error in hitting out of a divot is hitting the ball thin, so I just try to stay low all the way through impact... making more of a punch swing to be sure that my hands lead the clubhead.

When you can say that you hit yourself with your own divot, then you have accomplished something.
Sadly, thats something I have done...

Nope - never did that, but I've sprayed myself with sand. Of course it was on a hot day when I was sweating and covered in lotion so the sand stuck to me.

Did you have someone in front and to the side of you' or did the divot stay on your club and go over your back? I don't remember ever hitting someone with my divot.

Did you have someone in front and to the side of you' or did the divot stay on your club and go over your back? I don't remember ever hitting someone with my divot.

She was to my left and we were on a hill. I have no idea how the divot ended up over there.

Sounds great though. I'd love to hit one of my buddies with a divot. I can see the rest of us rolling on the fairway laughing.

One buddy of mine took a divot making a practice swing and sprayed my other buddy with mud. A few holes later, buddy #2 returned the favor. I had two good laughs.

One buddy of mine took a divot making a practice swing and sprayed my other buddy with mud. A few holes later, buddy #2 returned the favor. I had two good laughs.

LOL, only guy's must be able to get away with stuff like that. I have a spot where I generally hit my ball that has hedge trees and big rotten hedge apples some of the time. For some reason the guy's won't help me look for my ball over there??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back