Pre Show Driver Shoot Out

I'd love to get excited about another driver shoot out and will certainly read it, but I'm pretty conservative and bought a new R9 driver this year. I can't wait to hear more about the new shafts out so I can start hitting mine straight, lol.

With all the baby stuff I bought this weekend I may not even get irons like I expected this spring. No doubt I'll be getting some in a few years for the Grandkids, lol.

I just knew I was going to win those Burners, hehe. Liz said I was like a kid waiting for Christmas, lol.

Two more companies jumped in. Taylormade and Piranha Golf. Original Post updated.

i just bought a full set of mx-700 woods.

do you know what driver mizuno are providing yet?

i just bought a full set of mx-700 woods.

do you know what driver mizuno are providing yet?

We do not. Mizuno is releasing new drivers at the show and when we spoke to them on Friday, they wanted to use their new drivers for this Shoot Out. However they are unsure if they will have them yet, so we may go with the MX-700s if that is what they currently have.

2010 driver shootout

2010 driver shootout

Would it be possible to test each driver with a miyazaki shaft because that way it will be possible to find the difference between the driver heads. Another benefit would be to compare against the stock offering..

Would it be possible to test each driver with a miyazaki shaft because that way it will be possible to find the difference between the driver heads. Another benefit would be to compare against the stock offering..

The cost to Miyazaki would be WAY TOO high. Plus, this is about consumers buying clubs off the rack as most consumers do. If someone wants to get the perfect shaft for them, they would get fitted or pay upgrades for that. Companies choose their shaft for their drivers carefully to please the masses.

The cost to Miyazaki would be WAY TOO high. Plus, this is about consumers buying clubs off the rack as most consumers do. If someone wants to get the perfect shaft for them, they would get fitted or pay upgrades for that. Companies choose their shaft for their drivers carefully to please the masses.

point taken on the cost.. However without a constant factor like the shaft & flex in the shootout, not sure how different the review is going to be from viewing the commercials of the products one after the other..

Don't mean to takeaway anything from the efforts of THP though.. maybe just got a little bit excited of seeing a 3rd party review/validation of the claims of the manufacturers on their product differentiators..

The flex of the shaft is constant based on that shaft manufacturer. So is the loft of the driver heads used. But this is no different than a person going to a store and demo'ing 30 drivers. In most scenarios, they are not going to be doing a shaft fitting during that time. To me this is 3rd party validation for this. If we put high end shafts in every driver or different shafts in every driver that takes away from what the manufacturers are saying. Callaway and Taylormade (examples only) are not saying they have the longest driver "if you put an Ozik in it", they are saying they have the best driver off the rack.

Rule out any that don't provide left-hand selections? I would hate to find out the best driver isn't available. I'm still hitting my '03 Cobra 380.

Rule out any that don't provide left-hand selections? I would hate to find out the best driver isn't available. I'm still hitting my '03 Cobra 380.

Sorry, unfortunately we cannot do that. While we hope that more companies will cater to the LH, and most of the larger ones do now with their drivers, we will not rule out any that do not.

I love the shoot outs! Looking forward to this one!

JB - I have a question and please keep in mind that I'm normally not that interested in equipment, but am thinking of buying a new driver soon. Will there be any women's clubs?

JB - I have a question and please keep in mind that I'm normally not that interested in equipment, but am thinking of buying a new driver soon. Will there be any women's clubs?

That's actually a good idea - how about shoot outs for the ladies?

That's actually a good idea - how about shoot outs for the ladies?

We would love to do one and have testers asking all the time. However there has to be the equipment to match and right now there are just not enough female drivers out there. We plan on reviewing every single new one for 2010 to give people the idea of what is out there, but for the new clubs coming, there are just not enough options.

THP wants to change that.

Updated first post as Tour Edge enters the competition and confirms that they will be sending clubs.

OP updated. Callaway is joining in on the fun as well.

Any chance getting Yonex in this Shootout. Figured they would have a little more recognition with that Ishikawa kid.

Any chance getting Yonex in this Shootout. Figured they would have a little more recognition with that Ishikawa kid.

Good call, just sent them an invite and added them to the list.

OP was just updated. Fourteen has opted in and decided to join in on the fun.

Mizuno has just informed us that if their drivers are ready in time, they will be joining in on the fun as well. Their new line will be a very close call to the cut off date, so we will cross our fingers. They sent a lovely email over telling us that they love the format. They did particularly well in the last driver shoot out.

Drivers are starting to roll in for this event and we expect a pretty big turnout.

any chance you will have the new Nike VR and Machspeed?

what driver model is/did TM send?

We should have the 2 new models that are launching in February for this shoot out.

sweet a new TM driver in Feb. do u know what models they're launching in Feb.?

Back